U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,058 times

Advertisements

The closest I came to a blind move was moving an hour away to a town I had never been to. It worked well because I cultivated a network of people that could fill me in to where to live, work, and eat. Finding my network of informants was most helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,370,139 times
I don`t think a blind move is a good idea. There were cities that I was considering moving to that after visiting, I didn`t like. If I had made the move, I would have been miserable. Being the way employment is now a days, if you move and hate it, you might be stuck there for awhile.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,324,540 times
I appreciate all the different opinions shared on this thread! I think I'm going to go for it!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 AM

4,805 posts, read 20,173,556 times
Twice. Moved to San Fran after only being there for the job interview. Stayed for a year. Nice place to visit. Not so nice for living. Moved to Chicago after being there overnight. Stayed a decade. Awesome decision.

It's a crap shoot, honestly. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM

600 posts, read 1,414,501 times
One of my best friends and her husband moved to Los Angeles somewhat blindly (he came here for an interview, she's never been here before). They moved and they love it here.

I've always dreamed of living in LA. Visited a few times - loved it! Then I moved here. 9 months later I hate it here and can't wait to move 3 months from now when my lease is up. What I'm trying to say is, visiting a place and living there are two very different things. Unfortunately, you never really know if you're going to like living somewhere until you've lived there for at least 6 months.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 AM

60 posts, read 140,499 times
I did, back in the mid 90s when i was in my late 20s. I moved from eastern PA to Denver, and I'm still here. I'd never been to Denver -- in fact, for all intents and purposes I'd never been west of PA, even though technically I had; I was born in CA but moved east when I was 4, so I don't remember it. I came here with a couple of thousand bucks and no job, but you could do that in those days, Denver was a lot cheaper than it is now, and smaller.

I don't regret it, I love Denver. But moving like that has big pluses and minuses, and now that I'm older, I am paying a price for forming roots so far away from my family. It didn't seem like a big deal when I was young and childless and airplane tickets were cheap -- but now, I'm facing the choice of my child growing up not knowing her grandparents and paying for expensive visits once a year and not being there to help as they get older, or moving now in early middle age when it's much harder and starting over someplace back east where I don't know anyone, it's hard to get a job from across the country, and I'll likely still be a far drive/short flight to my family, but at least more affordable (for various reasons, I really don't want to live right where my family now live in So. Fla.). I don't know where you're thinking of going or how far it is from family or if that's an issue for you, but do think about it -- your needs will change as you get older in ways you can't necessarily predict. But then that's true about anything, isn't it?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM

229 posts, read 372,476 times
Yes about a year ago and I love where I am!! I'm so glad I did it!!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM

177 posts, read 610,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Have you ever moved to a city without visiting there first? A blind move? I'm considering this for the first time in my life & would love to hear other experiences. (28 y.o., single, female, no children, no pets, no ties...looking for a big change & new adventures.)
Yes, we have but I never considered it a "blind move". I was an engineer for a major oil company and they transferred me every few years. We sometimes had been to the city we were moving to and sometimes not. My first position was in Andrews, Texas and the first time we saw it was the weekend before I started work there. Same thing with later moves to Comodoro Rividavia, Argentina; Port Gentil, Gabon; Denver, CO; and Naperville, IL.

It wasn't a big deal but I did know who my employer was going to be and what my job would be.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,986,466 times
Yes several times.Moved to Colorado,never been there.Back then it cost us $70 for Gas to get there,had $75 in our Pocket.

Yes young and dumb.

brushrunner

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM

229 posts, read 372,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Yes several times.Moved to Colorado,never been there.Back then it cost us $70 for Gas to get there,had $75 in our Pocket.

Yes young and dumb.

brushrunner
I would say young and brave!!! As we get older we become more afraid... I've done that a few times with not much money... it is adventurous and exciting. Much better than staying in the same place all your life. Even if you never become rich your life will be rich with experiences and adventures. If you want to do it... go!! Have fun. You know wherever you go, you don't have to stay there. Explore!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or