Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:03 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating in a week and a half, to a place over 1,000 miles away from home, that we have spent a total of less than 2 weeks at. When we were there, we really liked it, and had a really good feeling about it. Financially, it seems like a great decision. It's not working where we are now; we are unhappy here for many reasons. We have wanted to relocate for 2+ years and made our choice 8 months ago. Now that the moving company is booked, and a short term lease has been signed for an apartment...now that just about everything is packed and we're finishing things up at our current jobs...I'm getting cold feet! I'm trying to stay calm, we can always come back if we don't like it, but I am so nervous now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,610,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
My husband and I are relocating in a week and a half, to a place over 1,000 miles away from home, that we have spent a total of less than 2 weeks at. When we were there, we really liked it, and had a really good feeling about it. Financially, it seems like a great decision. It's not working where we are now; we are unhappy here for many reasons. We have wanted to relocate for 2+ years and made our choice 8 months ago. Now that the moving company is booked, and a short term lease has been signed for an apartment...now that just about everything is packed and we're finishing things up at our current jobs...I'm getting cold feet! I'm trying to stay calm, we can always come back if we don't like it, but I am so nervous now!
we moved over 1600 miles to get here where I think you are going. Eh, it was a little goofy at first but the pluses soooo out weigh the minuses that long term it will be well worth it. Change is always a bit scary but on the flip side it can be pretty excitin' too! Please don't do the "three month and we hate it thing" as it's perfectly natural for things to be weirded out for awhile no matter where ya wind up. Good luck on the move!!

Old 07-18-2007, 05:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,742,463 times
You’ll have some problems when you move however everything will and can work out. Just take it one day at a time. Don’t panic ~ there are answers to problems and there is always someone who can help out. It is a scary event in your lives but it can be a positive one if you allow it to.

My family moved 1500 miles and we had never seen or visited the place before. It took two years to adjust to the different things and become adapted to another city. However it was the best thing we could have done and we’re glad that we moved.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM

982 posts, read 3,474,973 times
That's totally normal! You're going to a place where you know NO ONE. You don't know how to get around. You don't know your neighbors, have to make new friends....It's scary for us to leave our comfort zones. The good things about your move: if you go and don't like it, you're not locked in by a long term lease., you're only a phone call away from loved ones, you and your hubby have better opportunities, you have the chance to meet people who you can learn new things from, you and your hubby have the chance to be happy again...not sure what part of Missouri you're going to, but I've been to the St. Charles area and loved it. The people were very friendly and hospitable...so much so that I was prepared to move there! Anyway, you'll be fine. I moved from NY to VA and felt the same way...now I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,192,886 times
Be excited for what's to come, that's what I would tell myself whenever we moved. Once I got there and got all settled in everything didn't seem so bad. Think of all the new things that you get to go and explore!! You will meet new friends and find new things to do and then suddenly you will realize that everything is just ok! Give yourself time, it takes a while to get adjusted when you move. Have some fun! Good luck on your new adventure!!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 PM

434 posts, read 1,732,330 times
Here is the history of my moves since age 18...
Tyler TX to San Antonio TX to Dover DE to Panama City Panama to Tyler TX to Hot Springs AR to Los Angeles CA to Longview TX to Cleveland OH to Owensboro KY to Dallas TX to Corpus Christi TX to Atlanta GA and I have probably left some out! I found something new and exciting about each place and met people and learned things I never would have if I had stayed in my small town in East Texas. You are off on a great adventure! Always look at what you are moving toward and try to never look back! And remember you'll be the new "exotic" cool person in your new town!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 PM

68 posts, read 293,052 times
Change can be scary but when it is a reality you just have to face it and think positive. Be open to new ideas and ways of doing things. No place will take the place of your home but make the best of it and you'll see that everything works out. I moved from Houston, Texas to Washington, DC and then back to Houston 5 yrs later. Remember nothing in life is permanent and try to enjoy the new things that you didn't have before.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:51 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
Thank you for all of your kind words. I am still nervous but I have been so busy with packing and all, I don't have much time to think about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues