U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 AM

51 posts, read 60,047 times
Unhappy How do I decide where to move (if at all)?

Iíd like to move back Northeast, but people keep telling me that itís so expensive to live there, and that I wouldnít be able to make it, and to stay where I am in NC because itís cheaper and supposedly better.. I would still like to move, but I donít know what to do! Should I stay here just because itís cheaper?
I cannot stand living here, but everyone who lives here likes it, so Iím starting to think that something is wrong with me for not liking it. I like the Northeast more, but then I see some people from the NE moving to NC, and then I think that Iím wrong for wanting to move back.
I don't like the slow pace, or the way the schools are. In school, because of my skin color, kids called me a Pakistani terrorist, even though I was born in Brooklyn, NY and my parents were born in the only official English-speaking country in South America (Guyana). There is not much to do here at all that interests me except go to the movies, and the small mall. I realize that if I move to a city I won't be doing expensive things often, but I'd like to be able to at least have options when I want to do something, you know?
I've never felt at home here, although I've been here for five years.
I'm new to this site, so I don't even know if I can post something like this for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM

3,174 posts, read 3,462,859 times
I would say to move, but the NE certainly isn't your only option.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:31 PM

326 posts, read 451,931 times
you should move if that were you feel like you belong, if you are not happy at your current location then why not just take the plunge?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 AM

10,900 posts, read 17,967,210 times
Racial barriers got you down? Move to the Northwest or Northern California. Bellingham, Seattle, Olympia, Portland, Eugene, SF Bay area. Folks really don't care about racial issues in these places. (WA wasn't even a state yet during the Civil War). NC can be brutal (as can much of the east coast). DC / Baltimore is probably fine for professionals of color.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 AM

7,006 posts, read 2,947,308 times
I too would say move, if you haven't already. You might want to explore other areas of the country as Stealthrabbit suggest, but if your heart says northeast, I doubt you'll be happy any other place.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 PM

378 posts, read 474,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic_Mess View Post
I cannot stand living here
You said it all with this phrase.
It doesn't matter that others like it - you don't! Move.
So what if you have to change your life style to a more modest one?
If move is going to make you happier, I say go for it

Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,034,208 times
Cost of living should always be a primary reason to choose a place to live IMHO. You can certainly look outside of North Carolina and hopefully find a place that has a decent cost of living.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 AM

3,116 posts, read 3,879,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Cost of living should always be a primary reason to choose a place to live IMHO.
Everyone is different, but in my opinion, cost of living is one of the least important factors when deciding where to live. If you live in a high cost area, chances are salaries are also higher, so it works out. If you live in a low cost area, chances are there's a reason it's so inexpensive - like fewer jobs? Or fewer well-paying jobs? Sometimes it's harder to survive in a low income town, than it is in the big expensive city, because there are so few opportunities in that low income town.

And one of the great things about those higher income/more expensive areas? There are always ways to live that are not quite as expensive as the norm for the area. You can rent a studio, or get a roommate - you can make it on less, if you have to.

Aesthetic_Mess, I say move where you want to! Don't let other's ideas of what you should do or not do hold you back. Make your own way!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,034,208 times
Bouncethelight, high cost of living does not always mean high salaries. Many areas in Montana are a prime example of this. The cost of living is high and the wages are low. Although several people are so offended by me saying this, I recommend people giving it a pass for that reason. When anyone looks at a place to live cost of living and salaries are the most important factors. Things like scenery and activities should be looked at as second, as difficult as that may be. It doesn't matter how pretty or fun a town is, when you are flat broke it will be a miserable experience.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,879,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Bouncethelight, high cost of living does not always mean high salaries.
Agreed! Not always, but usually! And besides, the OP isn't talking about moving to an area like Montana - he's talking big city high cost living - as in NYC. It's different. Big cities ARE more expensive than most other places - but the opportunities are also greater, so it works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues