U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,556,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
I was so excited for us to move from Indiana to AZ for a voluntary job transfer last year! Singing while packing, full of hope and energy. But 1 day before I just got that "what the h#ll am I doing?" feeling, I cried and hugged our neighbor kids, cried at my pretty house, my family I was leaving, boo hoo hoo. But the next day I was up to leave and it was an awesome journey West.

I have no regrets even though its not been easy. There is no way everyone will understand or approve, but if you and your fiance are in agreement then its the right thing to do. Time to live for tomorrow and step into your new future.
Thanks for this. Yeah, I am sad about the house too. Wish we could pick it up and take it along! We searched for this house forever, and it was built in 1915, has a huge front porch and wood floors and all... but I know there will be another, and probably bigger and better too! We love old houses and they seem to be older the farther you get up North!

I am sitting on my front porch right now and just had a conversation with my 84 year old neighbor. It's the kind of thing I will miss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
I know how you feel! My husband and I are making a move to a new state (Ohio to FL) and are in a similar position -- although we just bought our condo in FL so now we are trying to fast track our move since we have a house here too. We can't afford two homes for very long. Getting our home in Ohio ready to sell has been VERY stressful for me... all the cosmetic stuff and work is overwhelming at times and I'm so stressed about getting it sold with the terrible housing market.

At the same time I feel such a sense of excitement about the move. I'm sooo tired of Ohio. I don't ever want to see snow again. The cold, cloudy depressed area of Ohio is killing me! I had to laugh that you didn't want another "brutal summer", lol different strokes We joke about aging in reverse when we get to FL

So, I think it is normal to have fears/doubts/anxiety about aspects of moving, but the payoff is worth it

Good luck!
Thank you! I'm sure in a couple years I'll be complaining about the Iowa snow! But not as much. I really have a freaky-weird intolerance to heat. It will be 77 today and I am dreading it. Good luck with your situation; I am terrified of the house thing. Being full time students we simply can't have a similar situation so if the house doesn't sell, we don't go! I will hate to have to lower the price drastically to get out from under it but I guess as long as we can pay off what we owe that's the bottom line. We put a decent amount down and we've been here 4 years so I am hoping we can do okay. Of course we'd prefer to get a little out of it to help with the move and I hope that is what happens!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 PM

18,853 posts, read 31,647,356 times
I never really "picked" a place I wanted to live. I just applied for better paying jobs, and kept moving for the best paying job that I could get. I never thought I was crazy, I felt like I was motivated. Best wishes to you. It may be scary to make a change, but isn't it worse to feel chained someplace just because of fear of the unknown? Best wishes to your confidence in yourself to make a positive change in your life and move forward with your plans for education and a great career.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,599,705 times
I hope things go well for you. I've been looking at Omaha and Des Moines myself. They seem like a better fit in several ways than here. But for now, I'm trying to make a shorter move to Dallas in hopes of getting better jobs and increasing my job skills. I think both my dogs and I will be happier in the midwest and hopefully some day I can make it there.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:50 AM

311 posts, read 743,136 times
every time I have moved, I ALWAYS get some sort of fear about the situation. it's definitely normal but I think you have to accept it for what it is: "Moving jitters". The same thing people feel when they get married, you're committing yourself to a new place and even though you may love the new place to death, it's still a "new" experience and you just don't know what to expect...

however, every time I'm in a car driving away...I get a sense of euphoria and I feel like a brave adventurer lol. When I actually set foot in my new place, it just feels great and satisfying it's all over with.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 PM

127 posts, read 383,346 times
Default Bring on the Adventure!!!

Just read through this entire thread and Sabride I can completely understand what you are feeling. My husband , my self and our 3 year old will be moving from Knoxville TN to San Diego CA in a little under 3 months and I've been on a roller coaster ride emotionally. I'm finishing up a doctoral program and as part of the program I have a one year residency requirement. I applied to several places in the southeast and on a whim to a hospital in San Diego. We'd always talked about getting out of the south and making the Journey west but I always thought of it as something we'd do in ten years or so.

For us moving is defiantly the right move but its been killer on my nerves. We also own a house in TN but we are renting it out in case we decide Cali is not for us. Could that be an option for you?

Side note: Our new family motto is ... if fear of the unknown is the only thing holding us here, then we must go.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 AM

538 posts, read 1,657,669 times
I don't think your fears are abnormal at all. We have been trying to move from west to east for four years now. It's just doesn't seem to in the cards for us right now. The economy is a big reason for that, but there are also times when I wonder if it will really be all that we imagine. So often I wished that my husband would get relocated with his job where the decision was made for us. Then at least my mind set would be that I had to suck it up and make the best of it. I think the fact that your move is voluntary makes it a little more frightening. No one likes to admit they made a bad decision, especially when kids are involved.
You have to think though, what's the worse thing that could happen? You don't like it? Move back. It may be great, it may not. But how will you ever know unless you give it a try.
I have days when I can't wait to move, and then days when, like you, I think of how much I will miss certain things about where we live. Honestly though, I feel that if we give it a try and we want to come back at least I know what was on the other side. And if that's the case it will make you appreciate your hometown.
I think the quote from DCStudent says it best. You only live once. You should at least give it a try.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,453,962 times
I think it is reasonable to feel a bit nervous before a big move. It might make you feel better to have some kind of exit strategy, as others have suggested.

I'd focus not on what you will lose, but what you will gain.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I'm still scared! We went to Iowa and got married, and we had hoped to spend some time there checking out the areas where we might be living if we do move, but we ran out of time. I think that would have gone a long way to ease our fears! Oh well. Maybe this summer.

We've thought about renting out our house here but I'm afraid of being a long distance landlady. My mom has done that for years with a house only 3 hours away and in general it's a pain for her, but she is sentimental and can't bring herself to sell the house, so she pays a property manager to handle things for her for the most part.

Not sure how else we'd do it though. Ideally we could sell and have that money to help us out when we make the move. I am already finding that places to rent with pets are very rare in the area we need to live so that is freaking me out. And my son, who was all gung-ho, is getting his doubtful moments too, because he has such great friends and enters the 9th grade next year. Oh I wish I wasn't so wishy-washy on this!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:03 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,599,705 times
I hope you do end up going for it. You see I made it to Dallas. I thought I was going to have to make some sacrifices to be here, but I ended up in a slightly better rent house than in Longview with my dogs in a nice neighborhood in the inner city and I'm only paying a little more. Things will probably work out better than you expect. You just have to keep the faith and stay motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues