U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM

324 posts, read 454,991 times

Advertisements

One company said they would charge me $220-245 and another company said they would charge me around $269. Reasonable? Unreasonable? I need items in my bedroom moved, which includes two large mattresses and a desk, items from my bathroom (hardly anything) and maybe a few pots and pans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 AM

554 posts, read 1,352,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN LEAVES OF SUMMER View Post
Yes but, you do not say where you are moving to. Down the hall? Up the block? Cross town? Out of town? Way out of town? 10 miles away, 500?? Perhaps a better explanation of your situation is in order here!
Agreed! The OP needs to give more info in order to get an accurate answer. I moved last summer (Aug 2010) about 20 miles away. I was only charged $80.00/per hour. They sent two guys to move my entire 3 level house. That was 2 bedrooms, an attic, loft, basement and main floor. Plus tons of boxes and totes, heavy furniture and lots of clothes. I had just gotten out of the hospital that week too, so I couldn't hardly do anything to help them. But they were so awesome, I didn't need to. I think in all, it cost me about $300 total.

So if your move is within 20 miles or so, then yeah, that's outrageous to charge you that much. Shop around and get quotes. I interviewed 5 companies before I got the best for the best price. And if the companies know you are calling for quotes, they may give you some discounts. The company I went with gave me their "special anniversary" discount. Hopefully, that helps a little. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 AM

415 posts, read 2,161,109 times
Most companies will charge by the hour for a small local move and most will have a 2 to 4 hr minimum, so at 80.00 with a 3 hr min that would be 240.00 sounds reasonable to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or