U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM

34 posts, read 41,569 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I wanted to get some opinions from all these seemingly well educated and certainly opinionated (which should be helpful) folks here. My wife, my year and a half year old son, and I are trying to decide where to move. We are coming from the Sacramento area in California. We are a young couple with our future in mind. Here is our concerns. We like California, however the cost of living is quiet high. We also are looking for a fresh encounter with different culture. I'm graduating soon with a Criminal Justice degree and want to go to law school. I feel I have to decide on a state prior to picking a law school (due to the fact I want to practice in the state that we chose). California's law system is congested and I anticipate much frustrations with it. (I would like to factor this into the decision as well). We are done, for now, with California.

Here is what we are looking for in our future location: we want a state that, overall, sets high values to education and family. We want a state with a positive outlook for their future economy. I want a relatively simple law system. She wants to be a personal trainer so we're looking for a state that she will be able to do that as well. We are looking at climate but as a secondary importance. We also have family in CA still and would like to visit more frequently. However, I hope to have enough salary coming in that I can visit from any state. In a nut shell, those are the most important things we are looking at.

Any and all help/suggestions is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM

14,160 posts, read 44,709,521 times
I have lived in all 3 states. CO tends to be an odd combination of progressive and conservative, most of the state is at high altitude, that will take some getting used to. Sometimes CO gets truly epic snow. That can be both good and bad. NC is much damper, somewhat Bible-belt but not really over the top on that. NC has at least 3 distinct regions, coastal, sandhills, and inland mountains. Texas is the most conservative, politically, of the 3 states you mention. Texas has at least 5 different regions, you can find a wide variety of climates there.

Not being a lawyer, I can't comment on the legal climates. Offhand I would think CO is most like CA, TX the least, but that's just a "30K foot" view from a layman.

Just to muddy the water, what about TN as an alternative to NC, NM, OK, or LA as alternatives to different parts of texas, and WY as an alternative to CO?

For that matter, what about the typical CA expat states of NV, AZ?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,664,057 times
I'd first get accepted into a law school first as that might in itself mean a move. Moving then hoping to get i one is much of a plan really.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Trying to make my decision harder, huh M3? Haha thanks for your insight!

Well tex, I know most law schools have a certain threshold that accept students with little no consideration (depending on their applicants that year). So if I achieve, at the bare minimum, the middle average to above average of their applicants, then my chances of getting in are pretty good. But now I am beginning to consider the law school more than the state.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM

14,160 posts, read 44,709,521 times
I was thinking about the 3 states you first considered - NC IMHO has a more British based culture, CO more Spanish, and TX has more than one - rather German in the east, nearly Mexican along the border.

Not sure if there is a huge advantage in going to, say, a Texas law school if you want to practice law in Texas. Probably some advantage, but I do see lawyers here in WA who graduated from other state's law schools.

I did want to point out that each of the 3 states you mention have similar states nearby.

Maybe you want to articulate in detail what exactly about CA you want to get away from. I would never consider living or working there, except as a temporary emergency measure, but your reasons are probably different from mine.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:16 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,878,405 times
If you value education, I'd steer clear of Texas with their ultra conservative Christian culture and revisionist history school textbooks etc.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 AM

2,596 posts, read 4,811,664 times
I think you also need to look at your job situation and how you will support your family while going to law school. Your wife wants to work as a personal trainer, yes, but with the economy what it is, many of the more popular college towns are hard to find work in because so many of their graduates want to stick around. I would factor that in.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:44 AM

As for the history books comment on the ultra Christian, that was pretty funny. I plan on doing some side education of my own with my son, so I'm not so worried about the content of the education as the quality of the education. (I had a couple of phenomenal elementary school teachers who taught me how to teach myself and how to learn well.)

Yeah I've factored my job situation into the equation. I plan on transferring with Sprint where ever I go. I want her to eventually become the primary bread winner in hopes of quitting and being nothing but a full time student. However, we'll see how that pans out.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM

874 posts, read 1,396,249 times
Texas is a pretty good place to live. It's very reasonable price to live here and you can pretty much say it's California without all the expensive stuff.

Ignore Quixotic Hobbit... he said something about ultra conservative Christian culture. lol he doesn't know what he's saying ( some hardcore Atheist )

Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,442,891 times
Our personal experience, we lived in CA my whole life. As we retired 4 years ago we found it was way to expensive to stay in CA so we sold our home and after researching we moved to NC. My son and his new family have moved here now too. We love it. It is very family oriented here, people are friendly and it's beautiful. My DH and I both agree it is like CA 25 years ago. I can't say anything about the other 2 states you are considering and this is only my "personal" opinion. Good luck.
I might add the price of living is a lot less here for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues