Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 12:05 PM

8 posts, read 31,124 times

Advertisements

Hi guys... I graduated college about 14 months ago and have been working a low-paying job and living with my parents in a small and boring town since then. I've got about $20,000 saved up and Im desperate to get out and start my own path, but I have a few questions...

1. Do you need to find a job first before moving? Its hard enough to get a job interview nearby, but getting a job interview in another city seems impossible.

I understand I likely won't find a great job at first, but Im willing to sacrifice that to have a fresh start in a new area.

2. Where do you stay before you have an apartment or place to live? If I work for another year and save up to have around $40,000, I suppose I could buy a cheap 1 bedroom condo for $75,000 or so? Would that work?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times
I highly recommend getting the job before moving - if you don't you'll find yourself burning through your savings.

It's fairly easy to spend day in your new town (once you have a job lined up) looking at apts and picking one (especially if you do some research ahead of time online).

Really, it's all about planning. Start looking for jobs. Apply. In theory you should be able to give yourself some time (even a week or so) once you've accepted a job before your start date to move. You could also move someplace where you have friends and try to couch surf for a few days to get an apartment.

Whatever you do, have a plan. Don't just pick up and move and then hope for a new job (even at the most basic level).

Old 02-19-2011, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 31,124 times
thanks, I agree it's not wise to pack up and move but just traveling to an out-of-state interview is expensive; $ for a flight, hotel for at least 1 night, rental car, etc

It might cost over $600 just to have 1 interview which might not even lead to anything.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:08 AM

10 posts, read 27,888 times
Hi Matty1,

First let me commend you for trying to find something better and also to move out and start your own path.

I agree with swmrbird. you have to have a plan. it is better to make the next step when you have a paying job. Also if you have friends in other cities or states it might be a good idea to apply for jobs there and then at least you might be able to save on accommodations.

also saving is a good thing you're doing. Keep it up and just keep applying. When I had to move I just tried and applied for so many different places. Then I landed a decent job (that i didn't like that much) but it paid the bills. So I went for it and relocated and then kept my eye for other opportunities and kept on applying and going for interviews. Finally i did get a job in a place that matches my skills and interest and I moved!

so from my experience. just try try try try! but first place your feet somewhere and then plan the next step.

also some companies do phone/or video interviews prior to flying you over there. So these can also be economical and helpful.

Keep looking and never give up. One day that job interview/offer will come...

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times
nash is correct - often if you are out of state they will allow you to do phone interviews - especially for the general HR interview and sometimes even for the initial department interview.

When I applied for a job out of state, I did 2 phone interviews with a company before the final round of interviews - and by then I really wanted to see the place and meet the people before considering accepting the position. So I only had to travel once and the odds of being offered the job were much higher by that point. If you are able to limit your travel to just the most promising of jobs, spending upwards of $600 for a potential job sounds better to me than moving and spending $600+ a month in rent in a place you don't have a job.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
If it is a larger city, you can stay in a hostel until you find an apartment, or look for some temporary housing. However, I would not buy an apartment in a city you have never lived in. You may want to move in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues