U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM

127 posts, read 383,822 times

Advertisements

Moving from East TN to San Diego in late May. We plan to leave our son with my folks (who will fly out with him later) and drive a Budget truck towing our vehicle. I was thinking it would take about 3-4 days if we drive at least 8 hours every day, is this a reasonable timeframe??

If anyone has done a similar move I'd love any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:31 PM

199 posts, read 418,755 times
Depends on your speed, how many times you stop, etc. I've done VA to Los Angeles in 4 days but was wiped out afterward. I'm old though. I'm going back to VA next week and am planning on 5 days.

I think you can do it in 4 days if you want.

Safe travel to you.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 PM

127 posts, read 383,822 times
We are planning on driving from dawn to dusk and splitting the driving between the two of us. Averaging about 60-65 mph.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 PM

8,619 posts, read 8,525,111 times
San Jose Ca to Northeast Iowa.....U haul and a trailer....By my self....3 days...no hotels slept in the truck.......Me and another guy drove it once in 36 hrs, but that was when I was young and dumb....

Old 03-06-2011, 03:01 PM

2,114 posts, read 3,860,191 times
Google says Knoxville,TN to San Diego,CA is 2,200 miles or 35 driving hours. Their calculations are pretty accurate.

If you were doing it in 3 days that would be 12 hours of driving per day
4 days would be 9 hours of driving per day.

This is assuming there are no hiccups on the the way.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
It depends upon how long you can stay in the saddle, how often you stop and for how long. If you're really feeling good, just keep going. I've done Los Angeles to Dallas in 22 hours in an 18 wheeler and Portland, OR to Dallas in 31. On the other hand, I've been all day going from Dallas to Houston. It just depends.

Tips if you want to make good time:

1. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

2. Don't snack on sugary treats. It'll make you sleepy.

3. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

4. If you must eat in the middle of the night, load up on proteins, not carbs. It helps keep you awake.

5. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

6. Get coffee to go every time you stop.

7. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

8. If you have to get out and stretch at night, try to pick a place with florescent lights. They have the same effect on your body as sunlight...it wakes you up.

9. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

10. Stop for breakfast just as it starts to get light in the east. That's the most likely time for you to fall asleep at the wheel and a good, high protein breakfast will wake you up. You can go the rest of the day on it.

11. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

12. Take power naps whenever you need one.

Do that and you should be able to make it in 2 days or less. Maybe 3 if you get lazy.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 PM

507 posts, read 792,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It depends upon how long you can stay in the saddle, how often you stop and for how long. If you're really feeling good, just keep going. I've done Los Angeles to Dallas in 22 hours in an 18 wheeler and Portland, OR to Dallas in 31. On the other hand, I've been all day going from Dallas to Houston. It just depends.

Tips if you want to make good time:

1. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

2. Don't snack on sugary treats. It'll make you sleepy.

3. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

4. If you must eat in the middle of the night, load up on proteins, not carbs. It helps keep you awake.

5. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

6. Get coffee to go every time you stop.

7. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

8. If you have to get out and stretch at night, try to pick a place with florescent lights. They have the same effect on your body as sunlight...it wakes you up.

9. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

10. Stop for breakfast just as it starts to get light in the east. That's the most likely time for you to fall asleep at the wheel and a good, high protein breakfast will wake you up. You can go the rest of the day on it.

11. Keep the left door closed as much as possible.

12. Take power naps whenever you need one.

Do that and you should be able to make it in 2 days or less. Maybe 3 if you get lazy.
Excellent tips!! Especially the odd numbered ones If travelling with children, I would add keep all passenger doors closed as much as possible lol

Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 PM

208 posts, read 368,556 times
6 days from Maryland to Washington in December with 2 drivers. If you're driving in good weather you should have an relatively pleasant time.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,343,335 times
If you want to amuse yourself, you can count the number of times the big truck drivers that DON'T keep their left door closed will pass you after every time they trash around at some truck stop and get behind on their schedule...

Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
If you want to amuse yourself, you can count the number of times the big truck drivers that DON'T keep their left door closed will pass you after every time they trash around at some truck stop and get behind on their schedule...
It was a rare day when somebody had a faster truck than mine, but I have had my doors blown off by the same truck 3 or 4 times because he couldn't keep from stopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues