Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,863,491 times

Advertisements

It feels like ten years ago I was able to find a decent rental that allowed pets. Seems now near every renter doesn't want anyone with pets. Has anyone ever managed to negotiate with realitor/renters/landlords about moving in their pets? They're both pretty old and housebroken. My dog mostly lies around and is active when I walk her. My cat is pretty independent but I worry that she might "mark" her new territory to the point the whole house can smell. I brush my dog and cat and keep them groomed, yet it can be near impossible to keep them from shedding anyway. My cat has a bad habit of making hairballs even when she has no loose hairs. As for my dog, even keeping her groomed she has little fuzz around her tail region that sticks to carpet, but I still clean after both of them daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,019,525 times
When I rent I like to talk to the owner , land lord , management company and explain the sittuation and let them know that I will even pay extra $ if needed too in order to rent and that usually works of course im very nice about it and if they dont want my extra cash or my pets then they certainly dont want me and I have met way more than my share of LL s and owners and management companys that were more than willing to take the extra cash and allow my pets . So you could try offering extra cash , or replacing carpet with whoevers permission or something else in order to make them happy . That is the only suggestion I can give you . Good luck .

Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,665,939 times
if your cat is neutered, he wont mark territory (cause he cant lol)

try talking to them, explain the age of the pets and offer to pay an additional deposit.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 PM

621 posts, read 3,201,815 times
I have just gone through this. I have 3 huskies and thought I was going to have the hardest time finding a rental. We really couldn't believe it, but we found a couple to rent to us within a week of looking. They are not even charging an extra pet deposit. I was ready and waiting for it, but suprisingly they didn't. You just have to keep looking and eventually you will find a place. With only 2 pets, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure if you're looking for a house or apt, but most apt complexes I believe do allow pets. Of course with private rentals it's the owners discretion, but they are out there. I'm one of them. I have a rental property and soon will be renting out the home I live in now, and accept pets in both places. Just know most of the time, you will be paying an extra pet deposit, usually non refundable, and might even have to pay and extra monthly pet rent. Good luck to you!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM

4,972 posts, read 10,646,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
It feels like ten years ago I was able to find a decent rental that allowed pets. Seems now near every renter doesn't want anyone with pets. Has anyone ever managed to negotiate with realitor/renters/landlords about moving in their pets? They're both pretty old and housebroken. My dog mostly lies around and is active when I walk her. My cat is pretty independent but I worry that she might "mark" her new territory to the point the whole house can smell. I brush my dog and cat and keep them groomed, yet it can be near impossible to keep them from shedding anyway. My cat has a bad habit of making hairballs even when she has no loose hairs. As for my dog, even keeping her groomed she has little fuzz around her tail region that sticks to carpet, but I still clean after both of them daily.
There are places that allow pets. In fact, if you go to the pets forum, someone just started a thread about complexes/renters that allow pets, depending on where you are. Good luck. As long as you don't have a pit bull, your chances on finding a rental are very good.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,474 times
A lot of the apartment complexes allow pets you just have to pay an extra pet deposit and fee.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,109,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
if your cat is neutered, he wont mark territory (cause he cant lol)

try talking to them, explain the age of the pets and offer to pay an additional deposit.
Male cats can still mark even after being neutered. We had this issue with two houses. I think because the previous owners had cats. The house we are in now no one ever owned pets and the cat hasn't marked once. I hope I just didn't jinx myself.

To the OP, I did a pet resume when I moved out of state and had to rent after many years of owning a home. Some landlords would charge an additional fee per month and some required a hefty pet deposit. We relocated out of state with 2 dogs and 2 cats. It was tough finding a rental. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:17 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,665,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Male cats can still mark even after being neutered. We had this issue with two houses. I think because the previous owners had cats. The house we are in now no one ever owned pets and the cat hasn't marked once. I hope I just didn't jinx myself.

To the OP, I did a pet resume when I moved out of state and had to rent after many years of owning a home. Some landlords would charge an additional fee per month and some required a hefty pet deposit. We relocated out of state with 2 dogs and 2 cats. It was tough finding a rental. Good luck.
hmmm odd. i have 11 cats - roughly half male- and NONE of them spray (all were neutered as kittens except 1 who showed up here as an adult and we took him in). the people who lived here before us didnt have any cats, but they did have dogs... causing us to replace all the carpet....sigh.....

Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM

128 posts, read 207,617 times
See if you can pay a pet security deposit. I was able to find a landlord to accept my well behaved 120 lb dog. When I moved I got back both my security deposit and my dog's.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:31 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,919,711 times
A landlord is more likely to negotiate pets than a property management. Here in New Hampshire, it's getting more and more difficult to rent with pets, and unfortunately this is usually because of bad experiences with previous tenants.

A 'pet resume' including pictures is a great idea. If you are currently renting, a letter from the present landlord goes a long way, along with written recommendations from the veterinarian, groomers, boarding kennel, trainer or any pet professional that sees your pets(s) on a regular basis.

When I had to find a rental that would allow me to move with my 2 German Shepherds, half-way across the country, I got written recommendations from my veterinarian, and Canine Good Citizen awards for both (plus the advanced training titles that they had) and attached copies to the lease application. I was able to find a nice rental in a very short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues