U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,504,965 times

Advertisements

If you aren't looking for a monetary return, offer some of your stuff on Freecycle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 AM

901 posts, read 1,119,147 times
You guys are giving me some good ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
Lump alot of things together. Like Dishes/Cookware/Small Kitchen Appliances in 1 category, Clocks/Lamps/Wall Hangings in another & sell them all together on craigslist. Say $100 for everything in category 1, $150 for everything in catergory 2, etc.
That's a very very interesting idea. I'm going to give you reps for that one. I like the way you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
Or contact a storage unit, maybe the one you use to work for, & see what they would charge to rent a unit just for the weekend & to hold a "yard sale" there.
That wouldn't work. The rules governing the use of the facility I managed were very specific about tenants NOT being allowed to sell things out of their unit. It would have been viewed as a form of conducting business, which was forbidden. Of course if a tenant had something in their unit that they wanted to sell, obviously they could bring someone with them when they entered the unit to look at it; we were in no position to tell a tenant who they could or could not accompany them to their unit. But the items would have to be removed from the unit BY THE TENANT, and the transaction would have to be conducted off company property. So basically, holding a "yard sale" at a storage facility wouldn't be permitted. The only way in which the goods stored in a unit could be sold was through an auction, and that was only conducted after a tenant abandoned the unit, or missed 3 rent payments in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Is there an indoor flea market in your area? If so, check out one of the regular stand holders. Maybe you can make an arrangement for him/her to sell your stuff at a commission arrangement or buy it from you outright (he'll then sell it for a profit). There is a large indoor flea market in our area where DH has a stand - he often makes arrangements with folks such as you looking to get rid of stuff - he buys items for a bulk sum then resells it at his stand.
Yes, there is an indoor flea market in my area. I've never really been to it, though, so I'd have to check it out to see if there are any regular vendors. You certainly gave me an idea to consider. Maybe if I combined your idea with what kerafaith said above, I might find someone interested in taking this stuff off my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
If you aren't looking for a monetary return, offer some of your stuff on Freecycle.
I've thought about that for a couple things, and believe it or not they actually do pay you for certain items. It's not a whole lot, but it's better than nothing. I guess they use some of the components...?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,294,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I suppose using a friend's garage is an idea. I guess I need to think more. LOL! As for the storage unit...I don't really want to keep the stuff, so it would be rather pointless to put it in storage, not to mention the cost of paying rent each month to store it. I suppose I could contact my former employer to see if they could give me the names of people who bid on units that are up being auctioned. Then maybe I could talk to them to see if they are interested in buying the stuff.
I meant rent a storage unit out of which to have the garage sale, as someone else later mentioned.

We talked our condo association into letting us have a garage sale even tho they were not allowed. We turned it into a community garage sale & it went over great.

Another idea is talk to a church to have a sale in their parking lot & give a certain percentage of the proceeds to the church. Others could join in as community yard sales get lots of buyers.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:32 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,094,199 times
I have sold a ton of stuff through craigslist through the years and have met some of the nicest people. You can generally get a "vibe" from an email. There are many that I would just pass up. In doing that, I've never had an issue.

I have always gotten better prices for things sold that way rather than a garage sale or something along those lines.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 PM

7,141 posts, read 3,305,201 times
Sometimes churchs have garage sales where you rent a table for $10 for the day.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,797,168 times
You could donate it, get a receipt and write it off next year.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 AM

24,822 posts, read 28,707,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
You could donate it, get a receipt and write it off next year.
That's exactly what I was going to say! I was recently talking about this with a friend, since I'm getting ready to move next weekend... and I have a bunch of stuff to unload, none of which is worth the hassle of Craigslisting. My friend said "just schedule a pickup with Salvation Army, and estimate generously for the receipt; then you can write it off next year, and get more in refunds than you would have by selling them." Good idea, and I plan to schedule a pickup for next week.

Here's the link, since I had trouble finding it from their main site: http://www.4satruck.org/

Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 AM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
People will buy small things on Craigslist too...you can take pictures of individual items and upload them somewhere like photobucket, with prices in the descriptions, then post your album link in your craigslist ad, or post an ad inviting people to come look at the stuff you have for sale...not a garage sale because it's by appointment only and you'd only have one person at a time coming by to look at stuff, so you wouldn't be violating your lease/condo bylaws/etc...it would look like you were giving stuff to friends, if your neighbors noticed at all.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 4,920,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
People will buy small things on Craigslist too...you can take pictures of individual items and upload them somewhere like photobucket, with prices in the descriptions, then post your album link in your craigslist ad, or post an ad inviting people to come look at the stuff you have for sale...not a garage sale because it's by appointment only and you'd only have one person at a time coming by to look at stuff, so you wouldn't be violating your lease/condo bylaws/etc...it would look like you were giving stuff to friends, if your neighbors noticed at all.
I like this idea, but isn't is kind of risky? Maybe the OP is a big guy, but as a single woman I sure would not feel comfortable inviting a stranger into my house (unless maybe I had a big guy there to supervise who was armed). For all I know someone could come and case the house and then come back later to take what they want for free, if you know what I mean.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM

7,890 posts, read 8,370,688 times
It can be. Do you know anyone in the neighborhood who would be willing to stop by for a short time when the buyer is picking up an item?

There are a few college students on my street who are sometimes willing to stand around for 10 minutes and look menacing when a buyer comes to pick up an item. The guy across from me is currently unemployed, so he is willing to help.

You just need to determine whether they need a tip, a home cooked meal or a service in exchange for theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues