U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 AM

472 posts, read 769,833 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have to help a friend of mine move down from (near) Boston to Durham. So we're going to rent a truck one-way.

We've done this drive a lot before, and won't need the truck for more than 24 hours (36 at the outside). But when I've tried to get quotes (with budget and penske), they've all quoted for a minimum of 4 days, $750 or so, because of the distance.

Is this by law, or are there some companies that don't do this? The websites say 'no refunds will be given for early returns', but is this enforced?

Thanks!
CHwboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 PM

4,805 posts, read 19,559,583 times
It's not a law, it's a business and industry practice. They do so after years of experience with customers who imagine they can load, drive, and unload a lot faster than they really can.

Yes, it is typically enforced.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty annoying, though -- we have the stuff in big boxes, so it'll take us less than an hour to load/unload. And with 3 of us, we can certainly do the drive in a day.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:32 PM

1,936 posts, read 3,300,856 times
I did this drive the other way in 2009.

Plan on one full day to load, and one full day to unload. Boxes make loading/unloading quicker but aren't magic. The drive will be close to 14 hours, more if you stop frequently. These trucks don't accelerate nearly as quickly as a car, nor ride as smoothly. You will be beat when you arrive!

The parkway roads around NYC (Garden State, Taconic, etc.) don't allow anything larger than a pick-up truck. I-95 will be your route - even through the heart of Manhattan. Be prepared for lots of tolls, EZPass and FastLane transponders will not be accepted with a rental moving truck.

Three in the cab may be tricky as some trucks have floor mounted gear selectors that travel so far rearwards that the bench seat is notched to accommodate it. Other trucks have two bucket seats!

The rental fee is for use of the truck. Total miles driven are not billed as additional cost. Extra days will be billed as they can't rent the truck to someone else.

We rented one way from Raleigh to Ann Arbor Michigan, via Boston MA. Rates from Penske have always been cheapest on all my long one-way rentals hauling the kids' stuff to/from Grad School and new jobs. Penske trucks have always been top-notch!

And big boxes are usually a bad decision as they quickly become too heavy to move. Check Home Depot and Lowes for moving boxes as their prices are a fraction of what U-Haul and the other moving places charge.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:15 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,879,000 times
Have you checked other companies as well? Uhaul and I'm sure there are more....might be worth a shot.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM

507 posts, read 767,056 times
I have rented with Penske several times and have always been given a price for 3 days travelling shorter distances than you are going. In fact, I'm picking up a truck this Wednesday. It sounds like you got a fair price as I am paying $500 to go less than 400 miles. I think my price is great for a large diesel truck, cruise control and the hydraulic lift which all makes my move easier (I am hoping it doesn't rain!)
I will be returning my truck early with no refund.
Give yourself a break and take a couple of days to move! good luck with your move!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM

521 posts, read 3,806,695 times
Boston to Durham is 700 miles. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations allow those with a commercial drivers license to log approximately 500 miles per day.

It appears that all of the rental outfits are allowing the same one day to load, two days to drive and one day to unload in their pattern of service pricing quote. That's a part of their competitive pricing structure.

Their reservation programs don't take into account any army of worker bees loading and unloading and three people driving straight through.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 AM

Thanks. I understand the rationale, I suppose -- but I don't know why they don't give us the choice.

Just for info: I've done this move before, when the same friend was moving up to Boston. Took us 23 hours, I think, from picking up the truck to returning it. But that was a bit intense so we'd probably prefer to take a bit longer over it this time.

But then I wasn't responsible for renting the truck, so I had no idea about this cost policy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues