Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM

82 posts, read 272,499 times

Advertisements

Just a quick request from someone who has done either drive before; we will be going west to east in the beginning of April and are looking for towns/cities where we'd encounter the worst winter weather. Example, if going from SF to Reno, you'd generally check Truckee, CA's weather to see what you'll be encountering on that leg of a trip.

We haven't decided if we're going 80 or 40 yet, our destination is NC, and our decision will be based on the weather we're likely to encounter.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
April still has insane and rapidly changing weather; you can get thunderstorms with tornadoes and even snowstorms. I-80 will stay open (with cautionary signs) if it is just slushy or even icy; but in a heavy snow (not unlikely) they will shut it down in the Great Plains.

Weather Underground has a Trip Planner that you can use 4-5 days (if I recall correctly) in advance that will give you the idea of what sort of weather you are likely to encounter for every leg of your trip. Since things change rapidly, I always take my laptop and stay at places with free internet in the rooms; that way I can check the likelihood of changing weather for my whole trip, in increments. Coming out of the Colorado mountains into the Plains, you are likely to encounter sudden fierce storms that time of year, with lots of rain and wind. As you head east and South, you are likely to get hit with sudden upsurgences of warm moist air across the lower-lying landscapes, which will give you everything from soft endless rain to more thunderstorms. Don't forget the flooding, especally flash flooding, which at the end of La Nina this year is predicted to be intense and sometimes sudden, especially if the area has been soaked with heavy rain or even a snowstorm in the past few days, with a following warming trend.

Hope that helps a little. Predicting weather in April is a crapshoot at the best of times...

Old 03-26-2011, 09:28 PM

82 posts, read 272,499 times
Maybe 40 will be the way to go, I'm more concerned about wintery weather as one of the cars in the caravan is a RWD car.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I-80 carries a lot of traffic and area near Laramie, WY is likely the worst risk (East and west)
WIND in western / Central WY can close the road. I have often driven across WY AND NE and never seen the road due to ground blizzards. April is a crap shoot, but spring wind is very fierce. and snows CAN be very heavy. Nice thing is that it melts fast. Watch the 10-14 day forecast. Realizing that UT, WY, NE, NM can all change weather in a spring heartbeat.Climate Prediction Center - 8 to 14 Day Outlook

Looks to be I-40 for smooth sailing I-10 for Smoother Sailing

Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 PM

289 posts, read 569,933 times
Well I have lived in TN just 2 miles off of 40 my whole life & have worked at truck stops off 40 in TN from exits 87-108 for almost 5 years.

And in my experience in April on 40 in Texas, Oaklahoma, Arkansas, & Tennessee you can expect rain, rain, & more rain. With excellent chances of severe thunderstorms, anywhere from pea to softball size hail, winds sometime in excess of 60mph, and possible tornadoes. And that's generally the drirection they travel as well, west to east. Or it could be sunny skies with highes in the 70s & 80s. We never know.

But that's just the spring in the south for you. Good luck with your move, whichever route you choose.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
Well I have lived in TN just 2 miles off of 40 my whole life & have worked at truck stops off 40 in TN from exits 87-108 for almost 5 years.

And in my experience in April on 40 in Texas, Oaklahoma, Arkansas, & Tennessee you can expect rain, rain, & more rain. With excellent chances of severe thunderstorms, anywhere from pea to softball size hail, winds sometime in excess of 60mph, and possible tornadoes. And that's generally the drirection they travel as well, west to east. Or it could be sunny skies with highes in the 70s & 80s. We never know.

But that's just the spring in the south for you. Good luck with your move, whichever route you choose.
That's a pretty good analysis of what you're likely to encounter on I-40 in those places.

And, it should be noted that the upland between roughly Ash Fork, AZ and Albuquerque, NM isn't entirely free of snow in April either, especially around Flagstaff, AZ.

To the OP: You'll be alright on either route. If it gets bad, just stop and let it clear off. In April, that won't take too long.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:35 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
If you are going on I 80 check the weather in Wyoming, especially in the Laramie area. Check this link: WYDOT Travel Information Service (Cheyenne) or call 511 when you cross the state line. In April the weather can get pretty nasty so be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues