U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 PM

77 posts, read 141,313 times

Advertisements

As we are seriously considering moving out of Las Vegas (in fact, the wife and I were pretty set on the idea) but I am fraught with doubts and concerns. These mostly are about my wife and children. My kids are two boys ages 5 and 1 and we have a little girl on the way next month.
We have lived in LV all our lives and now wit kids of our own and seeing the direction this place is going (economy making it worse of course) there is just so little to offer our children here. Our thoughts are since I am blessed with the opportunity to be able to relocate very easily (ER Doc) why not live where are children can have more exposure and options of things to do...culturally/fun/etc. Also, it would be nice to feel good about the public schools as ours were at or near the bottom (depending on the list) BEFORE our budget crisis. We also hate the weather here (yes hard to believe) and the incessant brown coloration of EVERYTHING.
However, my wife's family is here and the kids LOVE to go over to grandma's house. I would just feel sick to take that away...but "should" that weight that high?? I just don't know...or more likely, don't want to mess up!
Also, I am concerned about my wife as her best friends are here too. Now, she says shes on board, but I just have a deep uncertainty about it.
Perhaps moving not too far would help?
Has anyone been through a similar dilemma?
Part of me thinks it is more important for the holistic health of the whole family for the parents to be happy as well as have great access for "things" for the kids. I also would likely find as good or BETTER work in most other places. The other part of me thinks well, better just stay and suck it up so the kids can be by the grandparents and such.
Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,243,798 times
If you move to Southern California, Vegas is a short drive away! If I had kids, and the grandparents were in Vegas, it would be very easy to see them at least monthly - and probably twice a month. Just go for the weekend!

Plus Southern California isn't too much different than Vegas - but different enough in the ways that matter to you.

Why not just draw a circle around Vegas, based on how far you can see you or your wife willing to drive on a monthly basis - and see what falls within that area? Then if the grandparents are willing to make the drive once a month, and you make it once a month, the kids get to spend time with them every other week - which is great! And probably more than a lot of grandparents get to see their grandchildren!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 PM

77 posts, read 141,313 times
We are actually really considering So Cal. Just the tax hit and cost of living will be a bit shell shocking... But perhaps worth it though!
I would even offer to fly the wife and kids down to Vegas on a monthly basis if move is a but farther.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 PM

5,702 posts, read 16,180,463 times
I admit I know very little about Vegas but a friend of mine lived there for 6 yrs and from what she told me I don't think I would want to raise a family there. Moving away is hard but this country is was built on people moving where they need to be for their own happiness. My husband and I held onto too long but finally made the move out of the Detroit area. We should have moved years ago. I say move when the kids are young. We moved when my son was 11 and the adjustment was very hard for him. I think at times he is still adjusting 3 yrs later. Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:02 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,722,603 times
The states to immediately pop into my head for ya (in order of appearance): Arizona, Colorado, Utah.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:59 PM

138 posts, read 451,720 times
After what I have been through in the past two years, job relocation from IL to CT, with a 4yr old and left all my family and friends, I say really think about this one. I wish we would have stayed. I would have taken a job, moved to a smaller home, anything to keep by my friends and family, but I only see this now and how important it is after the fact. My son and mother have a very close bond and her help was something I didn't appreciate till now. We are now expecting another and it saddens me he/she won't be as close with Grandma only seeing her once or twice a year now unlike a few times a month that my son had. I totally understand where your coming from and you want to be happy as well. I like what others said, look somewhere thats no more then a few hours drive away. I would even be ecstatic with that right now.

Is your wife at home? That getting out with girlfriends is important. 3 kids keeps you busy, I have a hard time making new friends with just one. Why I have made friends that I see around, its not the type to meet up for coffee or a girls night dinner that she might get with her more established friends.

I wish the best of luck to you!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 AM

37 posts, read 54,083 times
Check out Prescott, AZ. The two best school districts there are Arizona A+ schools and US Dept of Ed Excelling schools. They are Abia Judd El. and Taylor Hicks El. Las Vegas is a 4 hour drive, and the elevation give beautiful change of seasons, with winter getting many inches of snow.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Las Vegas, to me, would be the almost least appealing place to live in the universe. Just my opinion. Your kids are young and definitely will adjust--children adjust more easily than adults to changes. And, they and you & your spouse can fly to see relatives/friends--long weekends, holidays, summers.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,927,572 times
Have you ever thought about relocating to either one of the 'Carolinas"...Both states are pretty affordable.....

Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,058,256 times
I would stay within driving distance, can't imagine trying to fly with 3 young children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues