U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:13 PM

5,523 posts, read 4,080,450 times
Default Moving/plastic bags ok?

Do moving companies allow you to use lg. plastic bags for clothing, linens etc?? ie doubled fresh garbage bags?? Trying to avoid the continuous search for boxes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 04:50 PM

103 posts, read 462,416 times
My last move was a garbage bag move.I bought 2 rolls of cheap black plastic bags for $7 for 50 bags.They were flimsy bags but large.I told the moving company about my all garbage bag packing.I signed paperwork that they will not be responsible for any damage.I put EVERYTHING in this bags.wrapping things with towels,sheets,curtains,clothes etc.
Worked out fine until the movers started to bring the bags in the new place asking which room each bag went.None of the bags were marked.So they divided them amongst different rooms.LOL
Every bag was a surprise.Kitchen stuff in the bedroom,clothes in the kitchen etc.
The cheap bags made it fine,but came to the end of their usefulness while unpacking and pocking with corners of items.
If you need boxes go from produce section to produce section in grocery stores and get the produce manager to save you banana and apple boxes.Both have holes to put your fingers in for easy gripping and are VERY sturdy.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Thanks....I will try it.....already have many items in boxes but the soft things ie sheets, pillows etc seem like they would do fine in bags.......I don't care that much if they end up in the "wrong" room...

The main thing is getting them there and for this to be over asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by marita View Post
My last move was a garbage bag move.I bought 2 rolls of cheap black plastic bags for $7 for 50 bags.They were flimsy bags but large.I told the moving company about my all garbage bag packing.I signed paperwork that they will not be responsible for any damage.I put EVERYTHING in this bags.wrapping things with towels,sheets,curtains,clothes etc.
Worked out fine until the movers started to bring the bags in the new place asking which room each bag went.None of the bags were marked.So they divided them amongst different rooms.LOL
Every bag was a surprise.Kitchen stuff in the bedroom,clothes in the kitchen etc.
The cheap bags made it fine,but came to the end of their usefulness while unpacking and pocking with corners of items.
If you need boxes go from produce section to produce section in grocery stores and get the produce manager to save you banana and apple boxes.Both have holes to put your fingers in for easy gripping and are VERY sturdy.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 PM

500 posts, read 1,995,852 times
Most responsible local, intra-, or interstate movers WILL NOT move a customer's household goods if everything is packed in plastic bags - particularly cheap plastic bags.

Not only do plastic bags risk breaking and tearing during pickup/delivery, but they're extremely hard to load safely. When transported, they're usually loaded near the roof because of their clumsy, irregular configurations and lack of sturdy construction.

During the summer the heat on the inside of a moving van near the roof can approach 180 degrees. These elevated temperatures over long periods not only compromise the integrity of the plastic even further, but increases the likelihood that makes the items packed inside absorb the smell of the melting recycled plastic.

Banana boxes and egg crates are also not good options to use when moving. Their larger flutes used in the flimsy fiberboard construction not only harbor insects, pests and their eggs, the most users overload them past their intended burst capacity. You try to move an egg crate or banana box crammed full of books and canned goods.

Many dumpster divers who use to scavenge for used moving boxes are now having second thoughts because of the nationwide scourge of bed begs. A better option is to rent the new heavy-duty plastic crates. They can be stacked inside each other for easy transport and come with a built in dolly for ease of movement. Most vendors clean and sanitize them after each use.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Oh.........well.

Maybe I will just buy a lot of those plastic bins w/lids....can always use them for something later!

Tx

Old 04-16-2011, 06:33 PM

500 posts, read 1,995,852 times
Mover hate the inexpensive, lightweight plastic totes about the same as plastic bags. They become limp in heat and brittle in cold. Most customers tend to overpack them to get the most 'value' for their money but then they're too heavy to lift or move safely.

Best bet is to use conventional moving cartons. That's what they're made for.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Ok, RT you convinced me.....

Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM

318 posts, read 427,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Do moving companies allow you to use lg. plastic bags for clothing, linens etc?? ie doubled fresh garbage bags?? Trying to avoid the continuous search for boxes!
I've worked for countless companies and it depends on what kind of move you're doing.

If you're packing it all yourself and having the guys come pick your stuff up and drop it off, they'll usually allow SOME plastic bags. But there MUST be some boxes.

Think about how they have to load the trucks, if that makes sense to a non-mover. Boxes? They stack up. Furniture? It stacks, too, one way or another.

Bags? Not so much. Some companies allow bags, but many do not. Regardless of whether they do or don't, if you pack it yourself they will not be liable for any damage. And you'd better check their inventory sheets because they like to steal. I can't lie.

If you're hiring the company to come to your house and PACK your stuff, and then load it onto their trucks, drive it, and unload it, they definitely will NOT allow you to use bags. They'll insist on their own moving supplies (super expensive, but just as expensive as if you were buying the boxes on your own, perhaps cheaper actually) and there's no way of getting around that.

My advice? If you're going with option one, look up moving and storage companies near you and stop by one morning. You'll see a bunch of guys sitting around waiting for work. Ask one of them if they know where you can get some boxes. He can probably get them for free or very little cash and get you a sweet deal (sweet deal: anything less than $2 a box for "wardrobes, 5s, 4s, and 3s" and less than $1.50 for "1.5s") if you know how to negotiate and have the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

Of course, you can also look up moving and storage supply companies and see if they have boxes available to one-stop customers. Might be something like a $100 minimum, though, and many won't sell to you since you aren't a company and/or driver.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2011, 12:09 PM

318 posts, read 427,358 times
Also, NO plastic bags for clothes. Make sure your bags are less than like 8-10 pounds each (which of course means, no clothes). If there's the slightest inclination that they'll rip, they definitely won't allow it.

You could get away with plastic totes, though. People did that all the time.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:03 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,394,783 times
Local moves, plastic bags = great. Cross-country moves, plastic bags = bad.

For local moves, there's not a huge worry that the bags will break, so long as you use a thicker gauge bag and don't overstuff them. In fact I've had local movers say they prefer garbage bags for clothes over those huge wardrobe boxes. But for distance moves, your belongings will likely be moved from a local truck to a larger interstate truck, and back to a local truck for delivery. That increases the chance that the bags will break.

It's also a good idea to use plastic bags inside of boxes containing paper goods and valuables. Things like photo albums can get damaged by spills, leaks, or high humidity. Encasing them in a plastic bag before packing them in a box will protect them while still make it easy to transport. Of course your most precious belongings shouldn't go with the movers at all, you should keep them with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues