U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 05:11 PM

26,811 posts, read 5,726,538 times

Advertisements

I know there are very reliable movers out there....but I still need to ask this question:

What TIPS do you have to avoid items being "lost" off the truck?

Am I less likely to have any issues if I have only a overnight move, with the items staying on truck and being delivered the next am? (rather than a cross country move)

I do not have any expensive items but what I do have is important to me, of course! And I do NOT plan to have them move computer, jewelry, tv etc.

Thanks for any info, as I am a bit wary....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:35 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,002 times
When Allied moved us, they had a sticker/numbering system. Everything that went into the truck - from boxes to appliances - had a sticker attached to it, and a short description on a very very long list. As each box came in, it was checked off. We lost nothing.

Three years later though, we are still finding stickers on occasion! LOL Sometimes they put them in the darnedest places! We did a cross-country move, 1700 miles, and used their week's storage to postpone the delivery (bank lenders wanted their summer vacations, apparently).

Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
I label every box, loose items like ladders and anything else going into the truck with our last name and cell number with a hot pink sharpie. It's an unusual color, easily seen and just a little in your face, nothing has been lost since I started doing this. The only times things had been lost is when they went into storage for long periods of time.

I also make sure that I'm very nice and respectful to the movers, feed them lunch and make sure they have water. I'm not sure if it really matters, but I figure they're doing a job that I don't want to do and they are about to drive away with all my belongings, can't hurt.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Sharpies I have...great idea! And I do buy lunch etc...as I do appreciate their work!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I label every box, loose items like ladders and anything else going into the truck with our last name and cell number with a hot pink sharpie. It's an unusual color, easily seen and just a little in your face, nothing has been lost since I started doing this. The only times things had been lost is when they went into storage for long periods of time.

I also make sure that I'm very nice and respectful to the movers, feed them lunch and make sure they have water. I'm not sure if it really matters, but I figure they're doing a job that I don't want to do and they are about to drive away with all my belongings, can't hurt.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM

318 posts, read 759,996 times
Hi,

I've worked for several moving companies and understand your concern. My advice is, if they're anything like every other company I've worked with, they'll have an inventory sheet and inventory stickers--everything gets "tagged" with a sticker and a description of every item is written on the sheet. When things are in boxes, they don't get tagged--the whole box does.

Make sure that everything is tagged! If it isn't tagged, there's no proof that they loaded it onto the truck.

Also, to tell you the truth, I'm tempted to think that a cross country move would put you in a better situation when it comes to things getting stolen. Why? Local movers tend to not have the gigantic 18-wheel trucks packed to the brim with sometimes up to dozens of houses. Local movers often come with a box truck or other non-18-wheel truck, and I've never seen them hold more than one house's contents at a time. When you have those huge trucks, they're packed as TIGHTLY as possible--good luck wiggling any box out to look through its contents (unless it's one of the super light things packed at the top of the truck and packed in the last tier) without making your entire tier fall to the ground.

Local movers, on the other hand, often don't have to pack so tightly as they're delivering your stuff and your stuff only. They don't, for example, make a trip from Hazleton, PA, to Palm Springs, CA, being forced to pack on as many loads as possible to up pay during the process. They just have your stuff; who cares how tightly it's packed as long as it doesn't break and it fits on the truck.

Furthermore, cross-country movers typically get the business of more high-profile clients. Companies hire them, rich people hire them, and not many lower-middle or below people hire them as they're crazy expensive to use. If you're going with a company and its agent who've been around for a while and have decent reviews, the odds would surely be better that you're getting A+ service. Theft prevention included. Companies like 2 Men and a Truck pay a whole heck of a lot less than big companies such as Allied, United, North American, Atlas, Schneider, and so many others and with such, the quality of their work will be less. I'm honestly not just saying that. (on that note, ask for the "driver rating" of the driver who's been assigned to your move and make sure you're satisfied once you pick a company--every company uses such a system and if it doesn't sound good, demand someone else).

Hope this helps! If any of that doesn't make sense, just send me a message.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post

Good point, we love that kind of thing. A tip at the end of the job (IF you like their work) is always nice, too--$10-30 for each of the workers, and up to $75 for the driver. Thinking back, my most pleasurable times on the job were when we had customers who were pleasant to work with and thought about things like this. And trust me, lunch is always appreciated, and while it might not be to the millionare we're moving, a $5 meal fro Micky Ds is heaven on earth when you've been in the sun sweating all day.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 PM

THANKS for all info, alamosakid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
Good point, we love that kind of thing. A tip at the end of the job (IF you like their work) is always nice, too--$10-30 for each of the workers, and up to $75 for the driver. Thinking back, my most pleasurable times on the job were when we had customers who were pleasant to work with and thought about things like this. And trust me, lunch is always appreciated, and while it might not be to the millionare we're moving, a $5 meal fro Micky Ds is heaven on earth when you've been in the sun sweating all day.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:09 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,247,546 times
I took photos of everything both on the move date as things were being packed to prove they were in one piece going into the box and also the morning as the movers arrived. It shows you are aware that things can disappear and also it helps if you have to claim from insurance etc. We usually have the same people pack as the ones who unpack...... I also listed everything once and now just keep it updated for all our other moves so I have an accurate list. I can literally tell you how many plates I have .....if they are not packing then list the contents of each box and number them yourself...

I make sure there is coffee and bottles of water and order pizza around lunch time. It doesn't hurt to be nice....

Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
I took photos of everything both on the move date as things were being packed to prove they were in one piece going into the box and also the morning as the movers arrived. It shows you are aware that things can disappear and also it helps if you have to claim from insurance etc. We usually have the same people pack as the ones who unpack...... I also listed everything once and now just keep it updated for all our other moves so I have an accurate list. I can literally tell you how many plates I have .....if they are not packing then list the contents of each box and number them yourself...

I make sure there is coffee and bottles of water and order pizza around lunch time. It doesn't hurt to be nice....
Photos...never thought about that but that's not a bad idea, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or