U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM

579 posts, read 1,076,894 times

Advertisements

Family of four moving to Seattle this mid-June. We will be driving an SUV, and also around a 20 ft moving truck that's towing another SUV. What would be the quickest and safest route/roads to take coming from Las Vegas?

Also, any advice for those moving with pets. We are bringing two indoor cats that are slightly spoiled and pampered. They go into panic mode if taken to a vet down the street. We are anticipating a very long and noisy ride. Any advice on pet friendly lodging along the way? We were thinking of a big dog kennel in the back of the truck that could house them, their water/food/litter.....and then maybe covering it with a blanket like a birdcage. Maybe then they'll be calmer? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 AM

29,986 posts, read 37,941,870 times
The questions regarding your cats would do better in the cat forum.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:49 PM

4,151 posts, read 13,578,080 times
You might want to check into Rescue Remedy too, it's safe and natural and you can get it at the natural health food store, you'd put a couple drops in their food or water and it's supp. to relax them, works better for some than others though - otherwise you might want to try to desensitize them by getting them used to short rides in the car in the crate. We've traveled up and down the e. coast w/ small dogs and it's worked fine - they just sleep and are used to long car rides - but it's prob. a different ballgame than w/ cats.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 AM

724 posts, read 1,176,601 times
I am anticipating a move with cats and have heard from others on this forum that LaQuinta and Motel 8 and Red Roof Inns are generally pet friendly. I plan to be in one accommodation per night and am guessing the same is true for you.

I plan to use an individual carrier for each cat, positioned so they can see each other. I will stock up on disposable litter pans. I know they will not like this but I plan to put a full body harness on each even when they are in transit in the carrier. I will only travel six or so hours each day (during the day) for my own security as well as theirs. This will not be an easy move for me and I know they will sense that apprehension.

I am more familiar with Feliway but don't think I will have the chance to use the diffuser in the car. I plan to spray the carriers with it. I have been told to do this about half an hour before transit as they may be sensitive to the alcohol in it.

I can use some myself- good luck to you!

I would opt for individual carriers so that they will not lash out at each other just out of their own anxiety.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 AM

4,061 posts, read 7,730,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post

Also, any advice for those moving with pets. We are bringing two indoor cats that are slightly spoiled and pampered. They go into panic mode if taken to a vet down the street. We are anticipating a very long and noisy ride. Any advice on pet friendly lodging along the way? We were thinking of a big dog kennel in the back of the truck that could house them, their water/food/litter.....and then maybe covering it with a blanket like a birdcage. Maybe then they'll be calmer? What do you think?
My cats panic going to the vet, too, so I was not looking forward to a trip across the country. I got a dog carrier with plenty of space for the two of them, and there wasn't a meow the entire trip. They just huddled together in silence. The third cat, DH's cat, had traveled before and did best when he was outside of his carrier. He hid in a blanket and slept. (I had an extra cat carrier with me, in case I needed to separate the two.) Cats can do without food for the 10 hours or so that you would be driving. Offer some, but they probably won't be interested. I'd offer water, just in case, but mine didn't want that either - or the litter box - until they were in the hotel room.

Don't put them in the back of the truck. It will be quieter for you, but horrible for them. If you mean the bed of a pickup truck, they will be terrified. If you mean an enclosed truck, they could get cooked. They will be better off in the car with a familiar person.

Inspect the hotel room before you let them out of the carrier(s). At one hotel I found an opening in the wall that was probably to access the plumbing or was left over from a repair. I was glad I found it and could block it - I would not want to discover that I couldn't continue my trip because my cat was somewhere in the hotel wall!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,800,556 times
We bought a dog carrier, with a puppy divider. Sometimes our cats unexpectedly 'freak out' during a move. Caged in a kennel, separately, they are both much safer - as are we.

When in a vehicle they whine, moan, etc constantly. Our last major move with them involved 12 hours in the car. Very nerve-wracking, but we made it through. I had the kennel in the front passenger seat, so they could see me, but it didn't seem to help much.

I found that our cats did not eat, drink or use the litter when traveling, though one of them always peed or pooped all over herself just as we set off. Usually, they didn't use it for several hours after we got out of the car either. We were a military family so our cats had a few cross country moves under their belts. The puppy kennel worked best for us - and we'd tried separate carriers, leaving them loose, cat harnesses, boxes, etc - once they flew and we made the mistake of giving them tranqs from the vet - huge mistake! They were freaked out for days after!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 PM

274 posts, read 296,876 times
There's lots of stuff out there to give cats to calm them down for travel. It's a best for you and them if you can relax them for the trip!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,020,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
My cats panic going to the vet, too, so I was not looking forward to a trip across the country. I got a dog carrier with plenty of space for the two of them, and there wasn't a meow the entire trip. They just huddled together in silence. The third cat, DH's cat, had traveled before and did best when he was outside of his carrier. He hid in a blanket and slept. (I had an extra cat carrier with me, in case I needed to separate the two.) Cats can do without food for the 10 hours or so that you would be driving. Offer some, but they probably won't be interested. I'd offer water, just in case, but mine didn't want that either - or the litter box - until they were in the hotel room.

Don't put them in the back of the truck. It will be quieter for you, but horrible for them. If you mean the bed of a pickup truck, they will be terrified. If you mean an enclosed truck, they could get cooked. They will be better off in the car with a familiar person.

Inspect the hotel room before you let them out of the carrier(s). At one hotel I found an opening in the wall that was probably to access the plumbing or was left over from a repair. I was glad I found it and could block it - I would not want to discover that I couldn't continue my trip because my cat was somewhere in the hotel wall!
When I moved, I left the harness on my cat during motel stops. I also left the "leash" on after the great search for the kitty (under the side table, through some tiny opening) which delayed things getting out since she hid. The leash leaves a trail to where they think they hid. My cat also got under the covers and didn't think we could find her, so lest she find a spot we could't just left her alone.

Never let the cats lose in the car. All it takes is someone opens a door, or the window is down and panicked cat runs.

I think we stayed at Comfort Inn. They also have a breakfast area in the lobby so the kitties could stay in the room while you get your breakfast before leaving.

With cat carriers, if the door is attached by plastic clips, reinforce them some way, perhaps with wire. I was so lucky I had two carriers as my cat decided the last day she wanted out and broke the door.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 AM

221 posts, read 1,048,459 times
Driving from LV to Seattle I'd definitely recommend taking 93 north and going through Idaho and Eastern Washington rather than going west and going up California. This time of year, anyway.

As for the cats - I just did a 9 hour move and finally have found the perfect way to move with cats! I bought a large size soft size dog play yard (Precision brand) and put it in the back of my minivan. It was large enough for 3 cats, litter pan, cardboard scratch pad and a pillow. They were perfectly happy and didn't screech the way they always used to when I used individual plastic carriers. I also sprayed the heck out of it with feliway. This product was perfect because I could load the cats from the top rather than having to push them in a side door, then the top zips closed. Safe and happy cats let me have a peaceful move, thank goodness!

BTW - my experience staying in motels with cats has always been bad - the cats have hidden under the beds and trying to get them out the next morning to load into carriers again entailed completely dismantling a bed! Maybe you can find a motel with no furniture they can go under.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 AM

35 posts, read 251,490 times
I drove in a 17' U-haul with a 6 month old cat from NY to Az about 11 years ago, used Rescue Remedy, most of the time she stretched out on the dash board sunning herself! True what previous writer said about going under the furniture in the motel rooms. Definately keep in car with you, besides cooking in truck, the noise & contents shifting would be traumatic for them. If you belong to AAA, they can give you the best driving route & hotel books, that indicate whether they accept pets. Just drove back to NY with a dog this time & a Penske truck (U-haul was much better, alot more room in the cabin & truck itself) Most of the time I stayed @ motels, that the room had the door to parking lot & the dog went "undercover", alot of the motels now charge about $15-$20 for each pet. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues