Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place to get packing boxes? We haven't contracted yet with a moving company, we're in the early stages of sorting, packing, etc.

We've moved many times, but always on the company's dime. they did everything, packing, load, transport, unload, store. But still I sorted through things, I didn't want the hassle of dealing with prue crap on the other end.

After our last moved I vowed never again to let a mover pack us, regardless of who's paying for it. Our last move, they came out and did an estimate before I'd purged a lot. They estimated 250 boxes, we ended up with 150, short 100 boxes. Well, that wasn't so good for the estimator, was it? We could have done with about 100--125 boxes. I swear, the packed air just to have a box.

They paid to store things 60 days, it took longer for us to unload, so we assumed payment of the storage unit for several months. When we finally were able to go through the stuff, I was appalled at what they packed to justify a box.

I realize they go by weight, but they also go by boxes, especially if they are providing the box. Anything to charge the company. I opened one box, nothing but a ton ofwrapping paper and 1/2 roll of paper towels, a disposable plastic dish, and a few slivers of soap. Oh,come on! That's obviously last minute clean up stuff, and I was there the whole time supervising. I realize they can't decide what's trash and what goes, its assumed everything goes unless clearly labeled, but to make a whole box out of a roll of paper towels!

Other boxes were obviously packed to maximize their return, not ours. We opened box after box of tons of packing paper, and a few items per box. They could have packed more per box, and no, they werent breakable items being packed to minimize breakage. One box was just a few pencils and a notepad, again, obviously last minute items that should have been trashed.

So, I will pack my own stuff from now on. Ok, where's the best place to get boxes? Please don't suggest Walmart, etc, for their used boxes. Moving companies won't accept boxes without sturdy lids that close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 03:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Moving companies won't accept boxes without sturdy lids that close.

Tape?

If you're looking for sturdy look no farther than the liquor store, small though.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:17 PM

107 posts, read 287,166 times
If you must buy boxes check into your local u-haul. At the locations back east they have a 100% buy back policy for any boxes you return if you don't end up needing them. I am not sure if this is a nation-wide company policy though so be sure to clarify with them first.

best of luck with the move,
gracie

Old 04-17-2010, 07:40 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,116,772 times
Home Depot sells boxes, and you can get wardrobe boxes from U-Haul. I am in the process of packing, and have found really sturdy boxes at our local grocery store, and also a western supply store. If you call ahead, they will usually save them for you. Also, if you are in a major area, try http://freecycle.org and http://craigslist.org.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
You might want to check on the policy if you pack the boxes first.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
boxes

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 27,671 times
Craigslist may have someone in your area selling them. We are a Navy family that has moved a few times and so we always had a ton of left over boxes each time and we recycled them...never thought to sell them, but now I know a lot of people do. My husband bought some boxes at home depot for a move I am doing and he said they were about a buck a box and they, I'd say, are medium size boxes he picked up.There is a site I saw online that people exchange used boxes, just do a search for your area at boxquest.com.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 AM

28 posts, read 103,992 times
When I last moved, I got most of my boxes from a couple of great neighbors and some friends. You really don't need to spend money on boxes when you know of people who are also eager to get rid of theirs and free up some space in their house. Like they say, REUSE. And not only will it be economical, it will be environment-friendly, too.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Tape?

If you're looking for sturdy look no farther than the liquor store, small though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpugh View Post
When I last moved, I got most of my boxes from a couple of great neighbors and some friends. You really don't need to spend money on boxes when you know of people who are also eager to get rid of theirs and free up some space in their house. Like they say, REUSE. And not only will it be economical, it will be environment-friendly, too.
In another thread on the same subject I told what I have done several times when I moved. Of course this is easier when you live in a small town like I have most of my life. First of all, coalman is right on the liquor boxes. Then go to your local grocer. Most have to crush and bale the boxes but if you get there before stock day, tell the manager what you're doing and you need some boxes. Get some different sizes. Paper towel and toilet paper boxes are good for bigger things. Then boxes like for dishwashing liquid, etc...tall things but smaller boxes. Egg boxes are good because the layers that the eggs were on to put between things.

I also had a friend say they used those space bags, where you vacuum all the air out of it, for clothes, linens, etc. Good luck with the move!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
I have gotten boxes from usedcardboardboxes.com and they were very reasonablly priced. The boxes were great! It only takes a couple of days for the boxes to arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues