U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,622,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChris View Post
I've thought about doing this sort of move as well. Only difference between the OP and me is that I don't have that sort of debt and a vehicle that is paid off. I've always wondered what would be an acceptable amount of cash to do a move like this. If I were to do it, once I had a place to stay ( to have an actual address in the state ) I would go to every temp agency in the area and would accept anything they could offer regardless of wage and no restriction on what hours I could work. I do agree with the person that said rent/sublet would be the way to go.

I guess my question is what would be a Realistic amount if money to do this ?

People I have told this sort of idea to think the idea is far fetched and unrealistic. I don't think it is at all
It depends on where you want to live as far as how much money you should have.

Are you going to a big city with employment opportunities? Going to a small town?

Where would you like to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,994,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
moving anywhere without a job is just plain stupid. unless of course you have enough saved up to live at LEAST a year.
I totally disagree some places do not want to hire you living way in another state. so you need to get settle and then start looking. if you have the skills to find a job..you can make it anywhere

Old 06-02-2011, 03:32 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,555,214 times
4000 in savings and having debt does not sound like the best time to move. That being said if you choose to have you researched what opportunities there will be for your career path,cost of living in terms of renting,is it realistic to live without a car? Are you sure you can transfer the current job in retail you have now to the new area? Don't forget about the unexpected things that happen in life. Like if you got sick or had a car accident. This all costs money plus the moving cost fees etc.
What ever you choose I hope it works out

Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
If a person is young, moving with few possessions, and willing to live with roommates, I say go ahead and move to where you want to go. It is fairly easy to find a job if you are young, and motivated. But right now minimum wage is $7.31 an hour in Miami. That is a tough wage to live on for long. But hang out, do the beach, find a better job, it can be done. I once moved to NYC, did not know anyone, no job, found a great job, taking care of this rich old guy, even lived in his house. We hung out, went to parks, art galleries, out to lunch. It was great. He was 89, blind, in a wheelchair, but he was awesome. He had been an owner of a gallery, so he loved going places. That was a great job, better than being a waitress any day.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 AM

231 posts, read 729,340 times
I moved from the west coast to TX and found a job in my field within 3 weeks. I moved to TX without a job. As soon as I got into town I started looking for "survival jobs"; I found one within days. Once I had my survival job, I focused on getting a job with a select few companies that I targeted while i was back home. I was staying in motels and sleeping in my car until I got the job in my field. If there is a will there is a way.

I did not have to worry about car payments as my car was paid off and I had minimal debt as well. I also had a small chunk of cash which helped too just in case it took longer to get a survival job. The difference between DC and San Antonio (where I live now) is that the cost of living is very very low in SA and the economy is booming here in TX.

Good Luck

Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM

519 posts, read 810,423 times
While I've never done it myself, I'm in the camp that it's OK to move without having something lined up already. Otherwise it can be difficult to get interviews, etc. since there are so many local people they can interview instead. However, if you plan on doing this in the DC area you'd better not move without having some place lined up to live. Ask your friends if you can live on their couch until you get a decent job, or check with relatives if you have any. Otherwise you will either be living somewhere unsafe, somewhere with a 2 hour commute into the city, or out of your car. $4000 isn't going to get you very far - you might be able to stretch that to 3-4 months if you try really hard (or a little more if you're OK with taking some physical risk), and you can't really live off a low-paying retail job here.

There's a ton of jobs and opportunities, and you probably won't need a car to get to many of them (but that will limit your options as there are some areas with lots of jobs that are not metro accessible). However, living without a car will cost you a lot more in rent (everyone wants to be walkable to a metro station and there's lots of people here with 6-figure incomes), and the metro is not cheap. Coming from the end of the line during rush hour you can expect to pay about $4.50 each way. $9+ / day in commuting costs adds up quickly, especially when coupled with the higher rent.

I do like how you're thinking and trying to make a real change to move forward in life. You're going to need a solid plan, a lot of determination, and a good attitude to move here and live with any degree of happiness without already having a decent job lined up. You seriously might be living on someone's couch eating Ramen noodles and McDonalds every day for the first couple months you live here.

FYI, if you're living by yourself and make < $47k in the DC area you qualify for income-assisted housing (basically you're considered poor). As a comparison, that same situation in San Antonio occurs at $33k. IMO, if you're moving to the DC area without any substantial network of people to help you out both with finding a job and providing housing then you're probably going to need at least $10k saved up as a previous poster mentioned.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 PM

128 posts, read 143,763 times
I say go for it! I got bored with my job in Texas, quit, sold everything I owned and moved to New York City (ok, New Jersey). Best thing I did. Of course, there are a few differences: this was in the 90's, no debt and relatives 1.5 hours by train from city that I lived with until I got a job and an apartment. Additionally, at the time I did not have a degree and was looking for an administrative job which can be easier to get. I had 2 job offers in NYC within 2 weeks by signing up with temp agencies. I went with less than $500 bucks. (The next big move was to the DC area. Of course I was older, had a degree and a job offer. But still a good move.)

Here are some ideas that you might consider either alone or a combination:

1) Search for "hostels in Washington DC area". There is a website (don't know if I'm allowed to add a link) that shows multiple places from $16 - $30 per night. Only take about 1 weeks worth of clothing. Have other personsal items packed at home for parents to send you later.

Another option is that in this area, plenty of people rent rooms in their homes. (My old boss had been renting to servicemen for 20 years in Virginia.) It is ok to be well outside DC initially in order to save money. You can grab a ride into the city at almost all of the Metro Stations for free! (Seriously, drivers want to be able to use the fast lane!)

2) Before going, get a P.O. box (try UPS you can get one for about $30 for 6 months) in the area before you go for a local address on your resume.

3) As someone else mentioned, send your resume to multiple temp agencies. (You might want to get a local cell phone number so they will think you are already available.) While some of these jobs might be below your skills/education, they can sometimes be a foot in the door and provide access to other openings.

4) Talk with your parents and discuss your plans with them. Maybe they can float you a loan by way of making your car, insurance and student loan payments for a specified period of time (3-6 months).

5) Don't laugh at this next suggestion, but you never know. Contact your congressman. They should have an office in your area. Tell them that you are moving to the DC area and do they have and possible assistance/guidance for a job.

6) DC is full of lobbyists. Check out different associations that have a DC area address. (Of course, most of these are just PO boxes. Their actual offices are located elsewhere.)

7) The biggest employer in there area is the government. Check out the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) website for jobs available across the country.

8) Another avenue is government contractors. Check out fedbizopps.gov for companies that have recently gotten a government contract.

Here is something to remember: The only real failure in life is failure to try. You never know what will happen. Life can be fun, have a good time!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 PM

3,552 posts, read 1,596,525 times
Default Dc

I gues the question would be....why DC? It's expensive and not necessarily any sort of mecca for people looking to write. Hopefully we're not chasing a love interest here. (I'm just saying...) I'd first suggest looking for online publication opportunities. Get a strong portfolio and then try as follows:

So, the survival guide here is as follows:
  1. Have contacts with headhunters before you leave. Hopefully you can get some solid phone interviews in beforehand so you're walking into final interviews.
  2. You have limited cash and it will last you two months tops in DC. Consider augmenting your time by getting a low interest rate credit card or revolving line of credit. However, also determine a surrender date that if x hasn't happened by the time I'm down to $1K. It's ok to not get it right the first time, just don't bury yourself in the process.
  3. Rent a room in someone's house and don't bring much with you other than some clothes and tools for the trade. (Craigslist)
  4. You need to find some free time things to keep your spirits high on the weekends that won't drain your resources. (Meetup) Be social as you never know where the connection will hit.
  5. While seemingly ideal, your retail job will likely hinder you. Think of your future boss. Do they really want a new employee that is there only to leave as soon as possilbe? Besides, a retail job will not support you there on your own. Focus on finding the job you are looking for. But before you leave see if they have any writing work you can do.
  6. Be smart and creative. Get in front of people with your portfolio. Always be actively looking up companies to get in front of. That is your goal and sole purpose. Once that is complete, you can let everything else fill in.
Good luck!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,994,561 times
Here is something to remember: The only real failure in life is failure to try. You never know what will happen. Life can be fun, have a good time!

THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE EVER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or