Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM

5 posts, read 6,703 times

Advertisements

I currently work as a healthcare technical manager and I have been offered a job at a 20K increase. I was excited about it and when I gave my notice, my employer offered me a 30K incease to stay.

Sounds good, but I am thinking about the fact that the new job is better for my overall career advancement, the company is larger and the benefits are GREAT!

Also, I ma married with 4 children, my husband can transfer his job and the children are 4 mos, 3, 4 and 15...also my mother in law lives with us and she would be moving as well.

Everyone is in agreement that they are on board if we move and basically waiting for me to make up my mind.

The new house we would be renting is $900.00 more than the house I have now, but it seems that the quality of life would increase because the community is GREAT w/ GREAT ammenitites.

However, while I can get my home rented...I still would be leaving it behind and I just do not know what to do.

Also, my boss' memory is very long and I am not sure if she would carry resentment over this.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Why the concern over what your boss thinks?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 6,703 times
Because this is a mom and pop shop and she can be very condesending and rude to others...and she can be "nice". While I was in her good graces before, I am not so sure about after this; I mean you can't unring the bell right?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM

106 posts, read 319,429 times
Fear of reprisals from a boss you would be leaving behind should not stop you from making a decision that is in your best interest. Atlanta offers much more as far as anything if cultural and retail and school etc options are important to you. Raleigh is quieter that way. The overall economy here is pretty healthy so if you arent leaving family ties behind and are are willing to live anywhere. The weather is delightful. Lots of greenspace. Closer to beaches and mountains than Atlanta.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I could understand fear of reprisal if you were going to ever have to deal with this person again.

Since you'd be moving up here, why worry about what your old employer thinks?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM

530 posts, read 779,659 times
Let's see now. Better career advancement, larger company, great benifits, and a current boss with a long menory.

Get thy fanny in gear, and prepare yourself and your family for the Carolinas!!

Im my humble opinion, of course.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2011 View Post
Because this is a mom and pop shop and she can be very condesending and rude to others...and she can be "nice". While I was in her good graces before, I am not so sure about after this; I mean you can't unring the bell right?
this is one reason why I would take the new job. working with someone that can be condesending....no thank you. moving and starting new, learning a new community can be very exciting and a fresh start. like you said in the other thread you have more opportunity in the new place. sounds like the old job would hold it against you if the boss was in a bad mood. don't worry about the old boss, she will think what she wants no matter what

Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 PM

281 posts, read 811,535 times
And maybe I'm strange but I had to read the sentence where she offered you a $30K increase to stay. I'd be pissed at that honestly - especially since she CLEARLY thinks you are worth it. How long would it have taken her to actually give you raises to get to that point? That's a huge jump - I'd be asking myself if she thought I was so valuable then where was this raise before?

I know I know capitalism and all that...but geesh - that boss would not be the only one with a long memory - If I was in that situation I would also be thinking that all those years I worked for less when it seems I could of had more! I just think that's a large increase (unless you make six figures plus which is possible)

Now on it's own maybe I'd not have such a strong reaction - but the way you've characterized her - I vote MOVE!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
I was somewhat thinking of moving to that area Apex ten years ago. I did find it was not for me.
It also is expensive, all in that Tri place, and visit first then do decide.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
happy we are in the same situation...only im moving from atlanta to michigan without a job?

Kind of crazy but my husband and I have decided that we need a change for the better.

I do medical billing so I know I can find job as long as doctors exist

But good luck on your move and many blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues