Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,762 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating myself about gas vs diesel, which I do think as well that diesel is the better choice. I reserved a 22' with Penske and went to a station to look at both the 22ft and the 26ft, just to get a visual. The guy there told me that 22 ft are very rare and 95 % of the time people are given a 26ft anyhow. I also did a pricing online and noticed that they are always the same price. Wasn't sure if 22ft will be enough, since we might want to put my husbands suzuki in the inside of the truck. Called penske back and changed my reservation yesterday to a 26ft, so it is confirmed, changed dropoff and pickup location and asked if the price might have gone down and indeed they told me it's now $45 less. So far very happy with them! We will see how the move goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
You better either ask if it's OK to put a FULL-SIZED motor vehicle inside their truck or read the rental agreement with a magnifying glass.

Most rental companies prohibit the practice. Not only is it unsafe, but many contracts would make the renter wholly responsible for any loss, damage or lawsuits that arise as a result of doing so.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 29,895 times
We are in the process of organizing a move from SF Bay area to Florida in about two weeks. We estimate our household goods comes to about 3 rooms full plus tools and equipment for our small home improvement contracting business. We also will be renting a car carrier to haul our small Nissan sedan. We also would like to bring our trees and plants in pots with us (about a room full). We are at a standstill whether to rent a 16 feet gas Penske truck or a 22' diesel Penske truck. We are concerned about the hazards of driving a long 22' long truck with a car carrier in the back but think a 16' long truck does not provide any enough space to haul all of our belongings. We are concerned about a 16' truck's weight limit. As for the outdoor plants, we are concerned about being stopped at state line and be told we can't haul outdoor plants across state line. Anyone with any good suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 29,895 times
Regarding the post above about the move from California to Florida, anyone who can give us any advise or suggestions concerning whether to rent a 16' gas penske truck or a 22' long penske truck would be greatly appreciated! We only have less than two weeks to go before the move.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
A Penske 16' truck only hold 425 cuft; the 22' holds 1200 cuft.

If you have "3 rooms full plus tools and equipment" and "about a room full... of trees and plants in pots" then you'll most likely need the bigger truck since plants require an inordinate amount of space.

Beware, though, that you're moving from a state that is very strict on transporting live plant material across state lines to a state that my be even more strict. Plus, you'll also be passing the through the port-of-entries in Arizona and Texas which can be just as onerous.

If you're planning on towing a vehicle behind the truck, the 22' unit will provide more stability on the road. Otherwise you have a 14-16' trailer/auto trying to whip a 16' two axle truck around in the wind.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,578 times
What kind of mileage did you actually get. We are going to rent a 26' Penske from Memphis, TN to Orlando, FL. I read on line that some guy only ended up with 2.5 mpg!!! So am really anxious to know what people are really getting. Thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudyarvesen View Post
What kind of mileage did you actually get. We are going to rent a 26' Penske from Memphis, TN to Orlando, FL. I read on line that some guy only ended up with 2.5 mpg!!! So am really anxious to know what people are really getting. Thanks
for what it's worth, in '09 we rented a 26' Uhaul (lucked out and got a new one) when we moved from WI to SC, and that thing was packed Full. We averaged anywhere from 8-11, lower in the mountains obviously but did quite well on the flat terrain all things considered

Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,390 times
Default Penske vs. UHaul

I don't know about the one bad experience listed here about Penske, but being prior military I can tell you I have moved a lot. I was a knucklehead in my youth and learned the hard way. Unlike some, I finally allowed the pain to teach me. UHaul disappointed me so many times it is unreal. I had a truck the parking brake wouldn't hold. I parked the truck and it started rolling down the street. Now, that is a basic safety inspection item. Their trucks tend to be in very poor repair and their customer service team is even worse. More often than not the conversation tends to lean towards the negative and the inability to do something. Penske, in my experience, has always been positive and aimed to take care of the customer. Their trucks are always in good repair. If one time outof many there is a failure, that is human nature and you must allow for that. It sounds to me like you're caught in this box of your life. Get outside of that box and realize failure happens sometimes. UHaul failed many times. Penske has not disappointed me even once. This is after many moves. I also allow for human error, however. What makes a business successful is empowering their employees and setting policies to insure customers are taken care of. UHaul has yet to do that.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,363 times
I am soon to move from Indianapolis to San Antonio on my own after a divorce, now going to be near our little son that she took with her. So moving an amount of belongings that will certainly jam a Penske (clearly the choice after reading so many blogs on different truck experiences), very full. I am also towing my 1992 Camry and have some concerns about a the length of the whole rig. My question mainly is do I need to keep this to 55 mph? If yes, I need to plan on three days to get to San Antonio. I am fearing no more than 5mpg on this, even if it is a diesel. My other question from those who have more extensive experience, is it worth the extra cost for flatbed tow dolly, or just go the two wheel cheaper dolly? Obviously I hope the cheaper dolly is good, but wonder why they offer the other? Guess if I had to tow a new Lexus I would prefer to have it up on flatbed! Thanks for any feedback.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:17 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman50p View Post
I am soon to move from Indianapolis to San Antonio on my own after a divorce, now going to be near our little son that she took with her. So moving an amount of belongings that will certainly jam a Penske (clearly the choice after reading so many blogs on different truck experiences), very full. I am also towing my 1992 Camry and have some concerns about a the length of the whole rig. My question mainly is do I need to keep this to 55 mph? If yes, I need to plan on three days to get to San Antonio. I am fearing no more than 5mpg on this, even if it is a diesel. My other question from those who have more extensive experience, is it worth the extra cost for flatbed tow dolly, or just go the two wheel cheaper dolly? Obviously I hope the cheaper dolly is good, but wonder why they offer the other? Guess if I had to tow a new Lexus I would prefer to have it up on flatbed! Thanks for any feedback.
Plan on going 60 mph. You'll be fine. I don't think I'd want to be going 70+ mph with that rig.

With a Camry (fwd), a tow dolly will be fine. In fact, I'd strongly prefer a dolly over a trailer. It's much easier to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues