Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,106 times

Advertisements

I'm moving with a 10x10 storage room and a 2bdr apartment, the second bedroom being 14x9 and pretty packed with stuff, almost like another storage room. We are going with a 24' Budget truck that is run on diesel. Of course, I debate the size of the truck to what we have, but I've never moved out of state before, so I am going with my rough math. We are also using a car trailer to haul a car behind it.

I hope I can get at least 8mpg out that thing, and that I don't go over the rails through the Cleveland National Forest and out of Santa Fe, NM. Driving a truck that big plus a car attached scares the living bejesus belt out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Just moved from Boise ID to Phoenix AZ with a 26' Penske truck and pulling my car with a tow dolly. Pretty hilly route with a couple of big mountain passes and I got about 8 MPG. Don't know how much it affected the gas mileage, but it was hot and had the A/C going 90% of the time.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 PM

182 posts, read 694,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Just moved from Boise ID to Phoenix AZ with a 26' Penske truck and pulling my car with a tow dolly. Pretty hilly route with a couple of big mountain passes and I got about 8 MPG. Don't know how much it affected the gas mileage, but it was hot and had the A/C going 90% of the time.
Same here, moved from MD to TX. Average was 8 MPG. Truck was performing very well.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Hey SergeL, we'll be heading to MD from TX next week! Did you come over the mountains or drop down the coast and cut over through Georgia, Mississippa, Louisiana?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeL View Post
Same here, moved from MD to TX. Average was 8 MPG. Truck was performing very well.
Hey, SergeL!

We are heading to MD from TX next week. Which route did you take? Did you go over the mountains or down 95 to the 20?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWhiskey View Post
Hey SergeL, we'll be heading to MD from TX next week! Did you come over the mountains or drop down the coast and cut over through Georgia, Mississippa, Louisiana?
We took I-81, I-40 and I-35. VA, TN, AR and TX. There was a lot of hills in VA and TN, but they are OK to drive, the truck was able to keep 50 MPH uphill. The AR and TX mostly straight shot, and we were able to go 70 MPH there and cover 450+ miles per day. So, plan to spend on the road at least 3 1/4 - 4 days.

You going to love TX. The heat in Austin is so dry, you will not even sweat We love here.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeL View Post
We took I-81, I-40 and I-35. VA, TN, AR and TX. There was a lot of hills in VA and TN, but they are OK to drive, the truck was able to keep 50 MPH uphill. The AR and TX mostly straight shot, and we were able to go 70 MPH there and cover 450+ miles per day. So, plan to spend on the road at least 3 1/4 - 4 days.

You going to love TX. The heat in Austin is so dry, you will not even sweat We love here.
We are actually already in Texas. We've been stationed here for a couple of years now. We are planning on taking I-20 East to I-95 North. We will be visiting some family en route. It will also keep us out of the mountains for the most part.

How many hours did you drive per day?

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 08-17-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWhiskey View Post
We are actually already in Texas. We've been stationed here for a couple of years now. We are planning on taking I-20 East to I-95 North. We will be visiting some family en route. It will also keep us out of the mountains for the most part.

How many hours did you drive per day?
Oh, nice

We were driving for about 8 hours per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues