U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM

79 posts, read 165,782 times
Default Penske 22 ft mpg with car carrier

We are moving with a Penske 22 ft DIESEL truck towing a car carrier with an Audi A4 cabriolet (convertible). Driving from Cleveland to Tampa. Any ideas what kind of terrain we will encounter/estimated mpg? I know the website says 8-12 so I'm tentatively banking on only 8 but have heard people getting much better mileage. We don't necessarily need to book it down there and towing means we will be sticking to the speed limits. Also, will hardly get off the highway (our new home is literally only like 10 blocks off a freeway).

Your thoughts and personal experiences with this is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM

779 posts, read 1,901,757 times
Not sure which routes you plan on taking, but if you are taking Cleveland to Cincinnatti to get on I-75, this highway will take you to Tampa. There's no toll roads on this stretch.

I have driven on I-75 from Atlanta to Michigan several times. It's a nice drive. You will go through hilly sections in Kentucky and Tennessee with somewhat winding roads. It's not that bad of a drive.

You will burn extra fuel in this stretch. Stay to the right when going up hills unless your truck has the juice to pass. Once you pass Knoxville, the roads for the most part smoothens out.

Don't hit Atlanta during rush hour...plan accordingly!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM

13 posts, read 32,007 times
First I would stick with a gas engine rent a truck, diesel to expensive & no guts or pulling power.Are they telling you how many miles per gallon to expect? how much weight you pulling? high winds? go with a gas job. For as pulling trailer with that car hope trailer has a front on it for road damage,if it's all open take some thin throw rugs stick under wipers tarp front half of car for road stone chips & make sure tarp is tight if not a flopping tarp will rub paint off car. Another good idea pack car with things in back seat always leave drivers & passenger side empty in case of a emergency. Truck may brake down don't want to be on an outskirt highway with a loaded down car you can't drive for help. you may have to unload car in hurry. Just a thought you should keep that in mind .As for Atlanta truer words ever spoken don't hit that city at rush hr,Best time for beating rush hr traffic is before 5:45am & after 7:00pm. always take any city bypass for all stopping & going light to light is costly in fuel. If you have a laptop with WII stop at mickey D's free wii check road conditions ,construction etc,etc keep it handy for each city you think you will be entering type in "cheapest gas in this(town or city U R coming into)& it will give up address another money saver. check motel rates & drive safely & no matter the speed limit drive 55 you will save much money in fuel cost.one more thing to remember you are driving a rental truck that means when you come to states with a scale you can drive past them expect fla you will pull your rental truck across fla state scales,OH one more thing check the state you end up in for diesel prices for you have to fill truck before you return it another reason I would go gas>

Last edited by kbjr; 05-05-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 02:50 PM

8,376 posts, read 2,433,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbjr View Post
First I would stick with a gas engine rent a truck, diesel to expensive & no guts or pulling power.Are they telling you how many miles per gallon to expect? how much weight you pulling? high winds? go with a gas job. For as pulling trailer with that car hope trailer has a front on it for road damage,if it's all open take some thin throw rugs stick under wipers tarp front half of car for road stone chips & make sure tarp is tight if not a flopping tarp will rub paint off car. Another good idea pack car with things in back seat always leave drivers & passenger side empty in case of a emergency. Truck may brake down don't want to be on an outskirt highway with a loaded down car you can't drive for help. you may have to unload car in hurry. Just a thought you should keep that in mind .As for Atlanta truer words ever spoken don't hit that city at rush hr,Best time for beating rush hr traffic is before 5:45am & after 7:00pm. always take any city bypass for all stopping & going light to light is costly in fuel. If you have a laptop with WII stop at mickey D's free wii check road conditions ,construction etc,etc keep it handy for each city you think you will be entering type in "cheapest gas in this(town or city U R coming into)& it will give up address another money saver. check motel rates & drive safely & no matter the speed limit drive 55 you will save much money in fuel cost.one more thing to remember you are driving a rental truck that means when you come to states with a scale you can drive past them expect fla you will pull your rental truck across fla state scales,OH one more thing check the state you end up in for diesel prices for you have to fill truck before you return it another reason I would go gas>
In 2008 we moved from Texas to Virginia. We rented a 26ft or 28ft Penske truck. We asked for gasoline, but got diesel when we picked up the truck. The online system calculated that we'd get 8-12 mpg, but in reality, we barely got 7mpg on the highway and 5mph in the cities. It turned out to be very expensive in diesel costs. The cost of diesel and gasoline were high then like they are now. We made concentrated efforts to find diesel below $5 a gallon. It was unreal. Go for a gasoline engine if you can. It'll cost you less.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 PM

502 posts, read 2,046,229 times
You can't rely on the published mileage efficiency rating. Not when you're pulling an extra vehicle and trailer across at least two mountain ranges with medium elevations and grades of 9-13%. Hills kill fuel efficiency on a load truck with an automatic transmission operating by itself.

The auto/trailer are going to create a drag on the unit the entire trip. Under the best travel situation, an experienced driver would probably hope to achieve 6-7 mpg. You should probably expect to make 5.5 mpg if you're not familiar with operating a loaded truck.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,805,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbjr View Post
First I would stick with a gas engine rent a truck, diesel to expensive & no guts or pulling power.Are they telling you how many miles per gallon to expect? how much weight you pulling? high winds? go with a gas job.>
Diesel no pulling power? Why are all semis diesel? Why does Ford/GM report the diesel version of their medium trucks as having twice as much torque as the gas version?

Ford F350 specs:
Diesel: 800ft-lbs@1600RPM, 29000lbs GCWR
Gas: 405ft-lbs@4500RPM, 19500 GCWR

Not only does the diesel make more torque, but at lower RPM. So it's going to get better gas mileage while towing.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 PM

861 posts, read 1,134,740 times
I can tell you this much. The large Ford flat beds we own get anywhere between 4 and 10 mpg depending on where they are driven and how much load they are carrying. Empty on the Hwy it 10 mpg. 2 cars in the city 4 mpg. I would plan on about 7 or 8 mpg strickly hwy. Stick with Diesel. They get about a 1/3 MORE mpg than gas.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM

We ended up with a 26 ft truck, loaded about 2/3 of the way (no heavy furniture really) towing the car carrier and the Audi convertible (3800 lb i believe) and we averaged 7.5-8 mpg. Just to give a heads up to anyone else driving in the future browsing boards. Trip went smooth, truck ran well and towed well. Love penske, yet again.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:01 PM

178 posts, read 406,884 times
As of last Week I would not recommend Penske to anyone, We had a guarantee 22' truck from them. When we show up the guarantee truck was nowhere to see because the so call truck shortage mind you I make my reservations over 1 Month in advance and called their 800 number 1 Week prior to the rental and reminded them I wanted a 22' truck and nothing else, I was given a 26' truck instead, they stated even with a "Guarantee" they could always upgrade me to a bigger truck I called customer service spoke with 3 different people and got the same response.

When I got into the truck the air conditioner was not working and when I sat down dog hair went flying all over the cab, I look over and both of the seat belt connectors were chewed off, the last people that rented the truck traveled with a large dog and of course it wasn't cleaned. I asked for another truck, after raising a lot of crap I got one, the second one had electrial problems the entire 1000 mile trip and had over 170,000 miles on it, we got about 7 miles to the gallon, the back of the truck was only 1/2 full we wanted the 22' truck due to the bigger seats and cab and the red gas light came on just after the tank was less than 1/2 full. I was told that all of their 22' and bigger trucks are now all diesel, I don't know if that is 100% correct or not.

In my book they are now about the same as Uhaul.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post
As of last Week I would not recommend Penske to anyone, We had a guarantee 22' truck from them. When we show up the guarantee truck was nowhere to see because the so call truck shortage mind you I make my reservations over 1 Month in advance and called their 800 number 1 Week prior to the rental and reminded them I wanted a 22' truck and nothing else, I was given a 26' truck instead, they stated even with a "Guarantee" they could always upgrade me to a bigger truck I called customer service spoke with 3 different people and got the same response.

When I got into the truck the air conditioner was not working and when I sat down dog hair went flying all over the cab, I look over and both of the seat belt connectors were chewed off, the last people that rented the truck traveled with a large dog and of course it wasn't cleaned. I asked for another truck, after raising a lot of crap I got one, the second one had electrial problems the entire 1000 mile trip and had over 170,000 miles on it, we got about 7 miles to the gallon, the back of the truck was only 1/2 full we wanted the 22' truck due to the bigger seats and cab and the red gas light came on just after the tank was less than 1/2 full. I was told that all of their 22' and bigger trucks are now all diesel, I don't know if that is 100% correct or not.

In my book they are now about the same as Uhaul.
Wow this is the first bad experience I have really heard of with Penske! We also ended up with a larger truck which has never happened in the past but it is tough depending on where you are moving...for example we moved from Ohio to Florida. They have so many trucks going south it is somewhat understandable them wanting to give you trucks that fit within their specs. I know it's inconvenient, even though it ended up alright by us. But when we called Penske's 800 number to go over the reservation and told them that we were at the Penske store and they didn't have a truck we reserved, they easily took off the amount we asked for. We did the calculations to see how much extra gas that amount of weight would add approximately, and we didn't even have to argue with them about it, they simply said no problem and walah! The guy in the store however, would not have been able to take that amount off or any amount for that matter. All of their 22 and 26 ft trucks have been diesel for several years now I believe which does much better on mileage. The difference on mileage between a 22 and 26 ft truck, depending on if you loaded it or not, realistically is not very much. We got nearly 8 miles per gallon and that was driving at 65-70 miles per hour the entire 1000 miles with the hills of the carolinas in there and towing a vehicle. WE also had around 150,000 miles on our truck which showed some wear on the outside. This was the most mileage I've had however. My last truck only had 3500 miles on it. the inside on ours was very clean, radio worked great, and love the new feature where you can't lock the keys in the cab because to lock the door you must have the key or something like that.

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience Unfortunately its bound to happen to someone. All I know is every time I've driven with Uhaul, I had horrible experiences. I was given a truck that had no working tail lights. We realized this when we were already loaded and twenty minutes out. They said we could return the truck but since it was so late we would have to wait until the next day to get a new one. THey wouldn't give us any breaks and even allowed us to keep the truck and drive it. We went ahead and just drove with it even though we had to drive over the Cascade mountains in Washington state, in the dark which is very windy. It was only a two and a half hour drive and I followed behind and no one was really driving the passes that late so it turned out ok. I called and complained about how the safety of the whole ordeal and they didn't even care. The truck also had over 275000 miles on it. Another time I drove locally it just broke down. Wouldn't even start. That truck had almost 200000 miles on it. In both trucks, neither radio worked and one had a dome light out in the truck bed.

Moving always sucks but if you even go check out a uhaul place, look at their staff for the most part, their trucks, and just around the shop (even at their major centers) it's dirtier, worn, and no offense but usually filled with day laborers waiting outside. Go to a Penske place and you usually find people in suits or nice businesswear, they answer the phone promptly and you don't usually wait on hold for more than a minute, and anytime I've had an issue, they were happy to fix it for me. Just a personal opinion. Sorry you had such a bad experience with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues