U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 6,497 times

Advertisements

Yeah I understand your desire. The heart wants what the heart wants no matter how stupid it may seem to others who are more mature than you are, and more experienced in life than you are now. You're young so it's ok to be passionate but finishing college first really isn't such a bad idea. But if you really feel like moving than go, it's your life. I'm trying to move from NYC on a 1200 a month budget, not sure if it's possible. I'm looking for someplace warm by the water.
All I can tell you is GA is nice and kinda cheap. Stay away from NY and CA you'll never cut it on 1000 per month.
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,722,413 times
Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
Live on $1000/mt? Better rent a barn stall and milk the cows and raid the chicken coops for food.
Actually , in Carter County TN you can rent a townhouse for 400 per month. Jobs are retail there. ETSU (state college) is in Johnson City TN.

Not that you'd want to live in Tenn...but there are alot of rural areas you can live cheaply, usually red states.....

Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,596,438 times
Why don't you see where you can get a job?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM

128 posts, read 143,725 times
Anywhere you move, you need either college, experience or some type of skill. I truly know what you are feeling, but it is more important to prepare yourself for your adventures. At least attend a trade school. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:26 PM

128 posts, read 251,746 times
I would say LA because you seem to be very passionate about films. Although it will be bumper to bumper and warmer then is seems you want.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,993,993 times
i dont see how anyone could hate snow

maybe living in it for so long could do that to you.

I absolutely love snow and could live in it all year round

maybe because I have live in the south all my life

anyway sorry for getting off the topic a little.

We have a lot of michigans migrating to atlanta and loving it.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:59 PM

2,954 posts, read 6,120,001 times
If you're passionate about what you want, throw a dart at the map, pack your car and head out.

What you'll find:
  • You're not the first 19yo that wants to be in the film industry and knows what he wants and is passionate about it. You're going to start at the back of the line just like everyone else doing grunt work, throwing your ideas out to the big wigs of the film industry that don't want, or care, to hear them, and barely making ends meet. Or, not making ends meet at all. Once everything is said and done, maybe just a few years or a lot of years down the road, you'll realize that "hey, if I had done XYZ at school I could have gotten a big break to get into the industry!" Too late. You're working hard, bringing home not enough cash to get more education for your passion, and stuck on the barely-making-ends-meet treadmill .. and now it will cost more money to get yourself back into school to do what you could've done while you were 19 and ready to take on the world.
  • You're idea of breaking into the film industry because of your dedication and passion ... will peter itself out after weeks, months, or even years of working and working just to come up empty. Sure, you *might* get a break somewhere. But, in the mean time, you gotta eat and keep a roof over your head. For this, you need a job skill. Whether it be some mad dish washin' skills or back breaking labor that leaves you tired and sore at the end of the day. No matter what, you'll have to support yourself. And, working in low wage jobs means you need to work longer hours or multiple jobs to pay the bills if you have high cost of living. You'll be short on time, money and energy at the end of the day --- and hardly have the time to dedicate yourself to your passion as you originally intended.
  • You'll quickly learn that just about everyone wants to leave home and get out of dodge when they are 19. You're not alone. This isn't anything new.
  • Oh yeah, networking ... breaking out on your own to find your own way means you will lack the ability to network with the right people to move up the food chain. Give yourself a chance by putting yourself somewhere you can network, such as school, gives you a leg up on all the other 19yo's previously mentioned doing the same thing as you.

If I were you, look into state universities for the best of programs that apply to your passion. I hear Western has quite the theatre crowd. Get more experience, get education, make connections and actually learn your trade. That will put you on a faster track of making a life for yourself. I'm not the biggest proponent of going to college, and I recognize that it isn't for everyone. But, I do recognize that specializing in something requires more than just simple 'real world experience.'

Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 AM

5,547 posts, read 8,585,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
If you're passionate about what you want, throw a dart at the map, pack your car and head out.

What you'll find:
  • You're not the first 19yo that wants to be in the film industry and knows what he wants and is passionate about it. You're going to start at the back of the line just like everyone else doing grunt work, throwing your ideas out to the big wigs of the film industry that don't want, or care, to hear them, and barely making ends meet. Or, not making ends meet at all. Once everything is said and done, maybe just a few years or a lot of years down the road, you'll realize that "hey, if I had done XYZ at school I could have gotten a big break to get into the industry!" Too late. You're working hard, bringing home not enough cash to get more education for your passion, and stuck on the barely-making-ends-meet treadmill .. and now it will cost more money to get yourself back into school to do what you could've done while you were 19 and ready to take on the world.
  • You're idea of breaking into the film industry because of your dedication and passion ... will peter itself out after weeks, months, or even years of working and working just to come up empty. Sure, you *might* get a break somewhere. But, in the mean time, you gotta eat and keep a roof over your head. For this, you need a job skill. Whether it be some mad dish washin' skills or back breaking labor that leaves you tired and sore at the end of the day. No matter what, you'll have to support yourself. And, working in low wage jobs means you need to work longer hours or multiple jobs to pay the bills if you have high cost of living. You'll be short on time, money and energy at the end of the day --- and hardly have the time to dedicate yourself to your passion as you originally intended.
  • You'll quickly learn that just about everyone wants to leave home and get out of dodge when they are 19. You're not alone. This isn't anything new.
  • Oh yeah, networking ... breaking out on your own to find your own way means you will lack the ability to network with the right people to move up the food chain. Give yourself a chance by putting yourself somewhere you can network, such as school, gives you a leg up on all the other 19yo's previously mentioned doing the same thing as you.
If I were you, look into state universities for the best of programs that apply to your passion. I hear Western has quite the theatre crowd. Get more experience, get education, make connections and actually learn your trade. That will put you on a faster track of making a life for yourself. I'm not the biggest proponent of going to college, and I recognize that it isn't for everyone. But, I do recognize that specializing in something requires more than just simple 'real world experience.'
This. Get the education in college or a trade school before you move as a backup plan.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 PM

14,992 posts, read 21,631,720 times
This is a great website that can help you find a great place to live. The fact that you are young gives you a chance to take your time and figure it out!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 AM

12 posts, read 12,988 times
Wow, a lot of pushing college on this thread.

I totally understand the desire to not spend money on college when you aren't sure what you want. I decided against college and now make a nice wad of money, own a home, and drive a BMW, and I'm not even 25. Don't let anyone convince you that you HAVE to go to college in order to succeed, it is such a waste if you don't know what you want, and as long as you are an intelligent, hardworking individual that produces and is willing to work from the bottom up, you can make it. Just don't spend all your time in service-industry jobs (like waiters) because there is no upward movement.

Anyway, back to your original question. I grew up in Northern VA (pretty much DC metro) and moved to Portland OR when I was 19 with no job and not knowing anyone. It can be the best thing you will do to get out on your own. That being said, you should have 3-6 months of living expenses saved up before moving to be safe.

I can't say much for Seattle or Albq. but, I can speak for my cities. You can absolutely find a place to live for under 1000 (even for under 500) if you are willing to live with roomates (which being a young single man, I don't see why you wouldn't be). If you look at Portland, try the east side (for reference, I had a 1 bedroom apartment downtown for 800 a month, not inc utilities).

You won't need a vehicle there either, the transportation system is pretty decent, and you can bike all over. Portland is a nice starter city because it is small and it doesn't take long to get familiar with it. The few times I went up to Seattle to look at living there, I was a little intimidated, it's definately large.

As far as your interests, you will definately fit in in Portland. Lots of DJs, electronica, records stores, etc. and there is a growing film industry (Leverage is filmed there and Coraline put PDX on the map). In fact, I lived right up the street from a production studio. There are a lot of independent film makers there, and there is particular interest in shooting in film still (super 8 or super 16). It's not uncommon to find a super 8 camera in a thrift shop every now and then.

As for other places to check out. You may want to look at Austin TX (although it gets hot, there is a lot of hipness there, and has a history in the film industry with flicks like Office Space). Also, Baltimore MD has un up-n-coming scene. Pittsburgh has a pretty good DJ/electronica scene and would also fit your price range, there is actually a lot to be said for Pittsburgh as a sort of "Portland" from 80s. I would also say DC metro, but it will be a lot harder to find a way to live under 1000 a month (though you will be more likely to find a job, and it will probably pay more).

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues