U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,892,953 times

Advertisements

My brain is fried, my shoulder hurts and my feet are numb (blah blah blah ) from: packing and packing and packing etc.

2 weeks from today is the move....cannot tell if I am on schedule with packing or not!! Like the bowl of spaghetti, it never seems to end...

what tips can you give me on surviving the next 2 weeks without and and and and ?????

Thanks for any help!
gbh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,853,905 times
The only advice I give is: Pack. Don't reminisant over each item. Pack it or put it aside for donation or later review. A pro mover can do it quicky because that's their job. the average homeowner spend 4 times as long on each item as they let trips down memory lane slow them down.

Have to pack a picture album?
PRO: in the box it goes.
HOMEOWNER: Ah gee, I havn;t seen these pictures in years. Oh look at Tommy how small he was. Oh i remember when this was taken. Boy was I fat. Humm, Anita is grabbing Bills butt at the wedding. Gee that's Joe, havn't talked to him in months, let me take a quick break and call. Next thing you know an hour or so has gone by!

Dedicate the time to packing and if yoyour not sure of something or you see something you want to look through, put it aside and come back it it. When your finish spend as long as you like on the stuff you put aside, but know that if you have no more time, that photo album or favorite cloths may be left behind.

So, PACk and only pack.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 PM

You are so right... will try to keep focused! I did indeed get slowed down when deciding to donate a few items I could no longer use...

that belonged to my beloved grandmother.

Now if I can just make it 2 more weeks...

Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 PM

954 posts, read 1,442,653 times
Start early in the mornings. Take it one box at a time and start in one room. Start by packing all items you won't need before your move. We started in one room before going to the next. As we came across something we knew we wouldn't use again or need, into the dumpster it got tossed. The point is...have a plan and it is easier to get more done each day. When each box is full, mark the box with the type of items inside and which room the box should go. That way, at the new location the movers (or you) can put each box neatly in a stack in the room where it will go. It worked for us and we got rid of what we didn't need and it felt good each night to see how much had been done that day. Then each night, relax and get plenty of sleep for the next day. Good luck on the move...you will get it done. And you'll vow that you will never move again!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Thanks!

And:

I am never moving again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Start early in the mornings. Take it one box at a time and start in one room. Start by packing all items you won't need before your move. We started in one room before going to the next. As we came across something we knew we wouldn't use again or need, into the dumpster it got tossed. The point is...have a plan and it is easier to get more done each day. When each box is full, mark the box with the type of items inside and which room the box should go. That way, at the new location the movers (or you) can put each box neatly in a stack in the room where it will go. It worked for us and we got rid of what we didn't need and it felt good each night to see how much had been done that day. Then each night, relax and get plenty of sleep for the next day. Good luck on the move...you will get it done. And you'll vow that you will never move again!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,011,929 times
now is a good time to weed out anything that has not been used or seen in 1 to 2 yrs.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,415,034 times
1) Rent a dumpster.
2) Have them park it as close (to the door you use most) as possible (driveway, etc)
3) Tape the bottoms of every box you own, parcel them out into the rooms you still need to pack, wide-open. Park a garbage bag - also open - right next to each box.
4) Start tossing anything and everything, either into the boxes or into the bags. No dawdling. Set a timer if you must, or a time frame - "I will have this whole side of the room cleared by 10 AM".
5) As soon as a box gets filled, tape it shut, write on it where it will go in your new place, and leave it. As soon as a bag gets filled, toss it into the dumpster.
6) Work steadily, not fast. Develop a rhythm. Play music if you must to maintain a rhythm; but don't get distracted and start singing with a hairbrush.

My DH is OCD and I have ADOLAFT - "Attention Deficit Oh Look A Fire Truck". This is how we both stay focused.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM

1,495 posts, read 4,536,153 times
Be very ruthless with what you are going to keep. If' you're not going to use it in the near future or it's not an important sentimental item then give it away.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
I am moving too. Don't go crazy trying to be organized and go thru stuff. Sometimes it is too overwhelming. Just throw stuff in boxes and get it to the new place. Throw stuff away that can be easily replaced. Pack things that have meaning to you.

Moving can be very emotionally and physically draining. Don't over do, or overwhelm yourself with everything.

I found getting rid of things to be easier for me than packing, organzing, hauling, and unpacking. Forget it.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the tips, all. I am doing a bit better now...most things are packed and moving day is 10 days away.

I did try to keep only what is very beautiful/sentimental or very useful. Problem is I am very sentimental!

Now the only worrisome items to "pack" are my 4 cats!!

gbh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues