U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 PM

2,091 posts, read 6,219,006 times

Advertisements

I have given and received from freecycle. I have bought and sold on craigslist. I pick up things randomly when deep cleaning a corner of the house, decide its not needed or wanted by us, and add it to the pile in the back seat of my car for the next time I swing by the goodwill store. Goodwill, salvation army, faith farm ministries and veterans groups will pick up willingly. Just be ready to know what you are giving them when you call so they kow what size truck and how many men to bring. And lastly, for any building materials, leftover paint, tools, fixtures, tile, cabinets furniture etc habitat for humanity will pick up for their restores.

Keep only what you love, use, will use, or that would be to expensive to replace even though you don't use it much. Kicking myself for selling grandmas kitchen aid standing mixer for twenty five bucks at a yard sale, before the internet was around enough to tell me that was stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,703,850 times
I've done my share of moving and my biggest tip is to look at things that 1) you haven't used in a year or longer and that 2) have no emotional significance to you and if it fails both of those, toss/donate it.

If my mom knew all the stuff I've thrown out over the past years she'd throw a fit. Sometimes people are discouraged from getting rid of things that bear no use since a lot of people judge themselves by their possessions (or maybe it's that their possessions provide valid proof of what one has done/seen, IDK).

Throwing out possessions that represent the past can be iffy though and not everybody can do it or even wants to. I tossed most of my letters, cards, a few pictures and such out if they're things I didn't look at anymore or if they represented people I no longer talked to. My personal thing is that I just don't see the point in that stuff keeping up space if it has no use. But I did tell my mom that once and she threw a fit. When I told her I just couldn't afford to take them to my new place, she said she could've kept them at her place (And yet she's always complaining that she has too much stuff already). Had I wanted to keep that stuff anyway, I never would've heard the end of it.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:03 PM

738 posts, read 964,042 times
If you are moving across country, sell or donate almost everything. You irreplacables can usually fit into the trunk of your car. A relative of mine recently moved from Va. to Ariz. $9800 for the moving van. $3000 for the POD and $2500 for the car carrier. She could have had all new stuff for about the same amount of money. (except for the cars)

Once you decide to move, QUIT BUYING THINGS. If it isn't something that you eat, drink, or use in the bathroom, YOU DON"T NEED IT.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 PM

7,354 posts, read 12,879,996 times
Since this thread started last May, I sincerely hope bgmv90 has moved and all settled in by now. lol But something I mentioned in another thread along the same lines, my wife and I had a free yard sale. We were moving from her place and my place to our place and needed to get rid of a lot of stuff. So we advertised in the newspaper that we were having a free yard sale. Everything was free, first come, first serve. I think I unlocked the door at 7 and went home at 9 with just about everything gone. All that was left was put in the trunk of our small car and hauled to Goodwill.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM

212 posts, read 280,526 times
dunno, never had any excess in my life that didn't fit in a small dumpster. In a rural area, I'd burn the stuff, most likely.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:01 AM

8,514 posts, read 10,747,636 times
I've called the auctioneer to come take garage stuff--tools, etc.. and other things that aren't needed any more.They'll give you a price or you give them a price (negotiated)of what you want and they take it away. I guess not all cities have these, but they can be helpful for removing excess stuff. Some take furniture too.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:08 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,574,270 times
Well, I am cleaning out my closet tomorrow. It will be painful. I have been avoiding it for several months...

Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 AM

44 posts, read 70,597 times
I will recommend you that if you have unwanted stuff in large amount that cannot be handled independently then you should hire a junk removal company .You can check on internet.otherwise if waste stuff is in small amount then try it to handle by your own.Put them in boxes and keep it aside.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,712,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Garage sales are good for the cash, but a LOT of work. From my accountant, you get a better return by making an itemized list, using someplace like Salvationarmy.com for values, and donating them to your local recognized charity and taking the tax deduction. Make sure you get a receipt and take pictures. You can take a $8-$10 credit for a pair jeans you might sell at a garage sale for $2.
Where I currently live garage sales are a complete waste of time. The people come from out of the woodwork at 8a.m. and haggle over 5.00. Id rather toss it.

I gave away alot of decent furniture and tools.Clothing and photos are the only major things I need, plus the dogs.Everything else is replaceable.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,574,270 times
Just burn down the house. Now, finally, 18 years later I can finally make a joke about it. I think that means I am okay now...no. But getting better.

I actually find owning things, and having to manage what to do with them to be an overwhelming task. Especially as I get older. And in a way, perhaps losing everything in a house fire has made me realize that nothing really matters, it is just stuff. I really don't care any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues