U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM

39 posts, read 68,436 times

Advertisements

I couldn't help but LOL, I have no idea on EARTH how you got all that in a prius, I have a Kia Sportage, no wife, no tools, no totem poll, just a cat, and I'm not sure how it's going to all fit, but I've decided to sell it all, and if it doesn't sell, it can stay here and my roommate can do what he wants with it, the one thing I forgot about was my patio furniture, it's actually really cool, but I'll live. I have a friend that's considering buying everything for $800, pretty good deal if you ask me.

And it will be done aside from the purging, I think I can ship my winter clothes, and my feather bed, sheets/towels? That stuff is light and shouldn't cost much.

I may go get a couple vacu bags, I have a really cool sleeping bag that is super poofy, as well as my comforter, and I'm a pillow freak, and have enough pillows to not see out the back window, alone.

I'm going to save so much money and I dont need this crap anyway.

I think im going to buy an aerobed, the one I want is only $180 on QVC, it's raised, and I can order it and make payments.

I'm feeling a little better with a plan, now on with the purging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
You could check ABF Relocubes....smaller and cheaper.

Could you put the bookcases on top of the SUV, tied SECURELY?

I just drove 1300 miles in my Prius, with a huge cedar chest in the back seat, two antique end tables behind that, along with boxes, a smaller totem pole, (don't ask), a big suitcase, a suitbag, computer backpack, medical bag, and a bunch of tools, etc....and a wife in the passenger seat......and I was able to see out the back window clearly.

You would be surprised what a good packer can pack.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel74 View Post
I just can't see justifying 2grand to move a bunch of inexpensive stuff, I mean it's no more than what a college kid buys, except my bed it is pretty nice, but only cost about 600 and it's 4 years old.
I think you answered your own question right here. There are definitely some people who are good candidates for getting rid of nearly everything, and starting over fresh - and if none of your stuff is worth enough to move - then it sounds like it's time to have a garage sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel74 View Post
I think im going to buy an aerobed, the one I want is only $180 on QVC, it's raised, and I can order it and make payments.
Those beds are designed to be used occasionally, and the beauty is that you can fold them up and put them away until you need them again - and you pay for that ability. They are NOT meant to be slept on all the time. Even under perfect conditions, they won't last long if used that way - because it's simply more than they are meant to bear. And if you have a cat? All it takes is one time for the cat to jump on the bed, and have one claw go through the plastic, and then you have a slow leak - which will mean you fill the bed up each night, and in the middle of the night you wake up because the bed is sagging, and your back is starting to touch the floor.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,609,284 times
I have a cat, and have slept on an airbed for over three years now. No problems.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:21 PM

I agree, it just took some people pointing it out to me and sort of verbalizing it myself. I don't intend on sleeping on the aerobed permanently, only until I can afford a bed and the one I'm looking at is cat proof, with as much cushion that I put on it, she couldn't get through it anyway, I use a thick mattress pad, feather bed and a mattress pad heater, tho I probably won't use that on the aero bed and it's summer now anyway.

I just hope all my furniture sells, I live in an apartment so I can't have a garage sale, craigslist has come through for me before, so hopefully it will again.

The friend changed her mind. So we shall see.

Thanks again everyone for the tips and advice, very logical people here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I think you answered your own question right here. There are definitely some people who are good candidates for getting rid of nearly everything, and starting over fresh - and if none of your stuff is worth enough to move - then it sounds like it's time to have a garage sale!

Those beds are designed to be used occasionally, and the beauty is that you can fold them up and put them away until you need them again - and you pay for that ability. They are NOT meant to be slept on all the time. Even under perfect conditions, they won't last long if used that way - because it's simply more than they are meant to bear. And if you have a cat? All it takes is one time for the cat to jump on the bed, and have one claw go through the plastic, and then you have a slow leak - which will mean you fill the bed up each night, and in the middle of the night you wake up because the bed is sagging, and your back is starting to touch the floor.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:16 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,711,255 times
im going through the same dilema right now but i dont have as much of an option in terms of gettng rid of all my stuff...
the question is, when you get to your new place are you going to be able to afford to replace the "must haves" im not talking the toaster oven or coffee tbale, im talking a comfortable bed ect...

for me thats the deciding factor, none of my stff would sell for enough to replace it even with cheapy stuff, but its all in perfectly good condition for another few years worth of use, so for me the plan is a pack it yourself kind of deal, my family will help me pack it... then hiring a couple of local hands at the other end to get the stuff i cant persoanlly move into the house in for me...

if you can live without the "stuff" though or can afford to replace it at the new place wihtout putitng yoruself in debt for the next 50 years, i say forget moving it and just take the realy important things.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,609,284 times
I priced a shipping cube, for my move it would be $2700. I can replace almost everything I own for $2700. So, for me the equation was pretty easy.

I have a cat, and a guitar. Really, what more does a person need? I am working on simplifying my life. Possesions do not own me.

I went and visited an elderly person the other day. He is 97, and very wealthy. He lives in a one bedroom apt, and has zero clutter in his home. His days are spent listening to music, and all of his belongings could fit into a suitcase. He told me, "you can't take it with you". Elderly people can be full of wisdom. And this man was an attorney and very famous CEO in his day.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:49 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,130,013 times
I didn't take everything with me when I moved. Amazing we still managed to fill up a uhaul and our suv. I do want to warn you, it does take a while to replace everything. We rented for a year and then bought our house and had empty rooms for a long time. lol.

I can tell you that I am a nervous nelly when it comes to hauling things. I hate it but when we bought a pop up trailer, I was amazed towing it was not a big deal at all. For the first few miles I was nervous, kept looking at the mirrors expecting to see the trailer fall off but all went well and I ended up pulling that pop up several times with no worries. I even pulled it across the Mackinaw bridge which has fierce winds. It weighed around 1800 lbs. The back end just felt heavier but not uncontrollable at all. Something to reconsider regarding the trailer. If I could do it anyone can.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM

Fortunately, I'll be able to replace teh stuff, eventually, Ijust will buy one thing at a time as I can afford it, or buy it all at once on one of those 18 month no interest deals, first I'm going to scour craigslist for some bargains.

I didn't think I had an option either, but think about it, what do you REALLY need, My stuff can stay in the suitcases until I get a dresser, guests (if any) can sit on the floor, LOL, I have a small tv, so I will get cable, been living without it for a while and i do miss it.

All this other crap, is just stuff to sell, I didn't pay much for it, and yeah it would have a fewmore years use, and I am taking a loss on some stuff, but paying the movers was SOOO NOT worth it to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im going through the same dilema right now but i dont have as much of an option in terms of gettng rid of all my stuff...
the question is, when you get to your new place are you going to be able to afford to replace the "must haves" im not talking the toaster oven or coffee tbale, im talking a comfortable bed ect...

for me thats the deciding factor, none of my stff would sell for enough to replace it even with cheapy stuff, but its all in perfectly good condition for another few years worth of use, so for me the plan is a pack it yourself kind of deal, my family will help me pack it... then hiring a couple of local hands at the other end to get the stuff i cant persoanlly move into the house in for me...

if you can live without the "stuff" though or can afford to replace it at the new place wihtout putitng yoruself in debt for the next 50 years, i say forget moving it and just take the realy important things.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Very good point. I ordered an aero bed, my cat will have a litter box and I'm bring a small box of kitchen items. Other than clothes and linens that's it. I will probably bring my alarm clock, LOL, oh and I do have a small tv, like a 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I didn't take everything with me when I moved. Amazing we still managed to fill up a uhaul and our suv. I do want to warn you, it does take a while to replace everything. We rented for a year and then bought our house and had empty rooms for a long time. lol.

I can tell you that I am a nervous nelly when it comes to hauling things. I hate it but when we bought a pop up trailer, I was amazed towing it was not a big deal at all. For the first few miles I was nervous, kept looking at the mirrors expecting to see the trailer fall off but all went well and I ended up pulling that pop up several times with no worries. I even pulled it across the Mackinaw bridge which has fierce winds. It weighed around 1800 lbs. The back end just felt heavier but not uncontrollable at all. Something to reconsider regarding the trailer. If I could do it anyone can.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:53 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,025,414 times
Look for a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store in your new town, they usually have great house hold furnishings for very little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues