Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 PM

39 posts, read 84,226 times

Advertisements

It's just me, alone, I have enough stuff for a 1BR, but I'm wondering if selling the furniture will be cheaper than paying to have it moved. I got a phone quote from United for $1895, Moving from Kansas city to Greensboro, NC.

I cant' drive a uhaul myself, and I have a car, but even if I sell all my furniture, all my stuff won't fit in my car.

Just brainstorming here, I could use the extra money to relocate, but I will still need a way to get the rest of the stuff there, full kitchen, boxes, I haven't a clue how many but I own about 20 tubs and I usually use those plus a few more boxes, so probably close to 30.

Here's what I would sell.

Queen sized bed, about 6 years old, bedroom set, chest, dresser with mirror, end tables, couch 34" flat screen LED tv and stand, and small desk.

Bed $200
bedroom set $150
couch $100
TV and stand $250
desk $30

total $730

That would seriously bring my estimate down, but then would it be worth it to use a big company for a move like that or something like PODS??

Only thing is, I need someone to load and unload my stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Just a thought, is your car big enough to tow a uhaul trailer - ? - they're not enormous or difficult to tow (come in different sizes) and are reasonably priced (I think they give you 5 days w/ it, any extra you pay more) - you'd prob. want to pack a lot of your stuff yourself to cut down on costs but we found that pretty cost effective and we were able to move the boxes ourselves pretty easily - taking the furniture was another story (too darn heavy and most of ours was old and not worth moving, we also found some pretty nice things reasonably priced on craigslist and some of the local stores had some pretty good sales too).

Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 PM

39 posts, read 84,226 times
My SUV isn't big enough to tow a trailer and I would be too nervous to drive it, however, here's a plan my dad had come up with, but I think it's going to cost more in the long run??

My dad and step mom along with 2 teenage boys are going to come to my house after they pick up a uhaul trailer 5x8 or something and hitch it on the back of his ford f-150, they will then load all my stuff into the trailer, my SUV and the back of my dad's truck.

We will then commence driving to NC from Kansas City, staying once overnight.

and then my dad and the boys will drive back to KC the next day or so.

But they dont have much money so I would have to pay for everything.

Here's the estimate I've come up with.

trip cost

truck gas 300 one way, approx 500 total - increased with towing
my gas 180 one way
hotel in KC, 2 rooms at 45.x 2=90 ?? Maybe not need this
hotel on the road 2 rooms at 50 =100 - using priceline
food on the road - 2 lunches x 5ppl, 2 dinner x5 ppl, 2 lunches x 4 ppl,
and 1 dinner x 4 ppl =50+75+40+60+50 miscl = 275
uhaul trailer = 600
=1840 total trip cost, approx $1745

that's paying all their costs, gas and food and lodging.

the quote united gave me was 1895, and frankly I think that would be less of a hassle, as much as I appreciate my dad wanting to help out

Am I forgetting anything?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
It sounds good - you do have to pay more for tolls etc w/ the trailer and you'll be getting less mileage towing the uhaul but it sounds like you're pretty thorough and covering everything than I can think of offhand. We were anxious to get there fast (but w/in reason) so we skipped lunch (the motel had a free breakfast, it wasnt that great but it served the purpose - muffins, cold cereal etc) had a quick dinner (lots of fast food places along the way). I think we also took granola bars and those 100 calorie snack packs along w/ cold drinks if we got the hungries, you could also pack some fruit if you have room. One thing I did wish is that we had been a bit more organized and had prepacked the uhaul better, we forgot some things b/c we were rushing to pack it as we had just the 5 days (didnt want to go over the limit), it ended up being plenty of time (NJ-->FL) but I was a bit more rushed than I'd have liked to be (took prescr. dog food and even some canned goods in the car w/ us - looking back taking the canned goods was prob. unnecessary but at the time it seemed practical) but the car was kind of cramped on the way down (an understatement, ha), also took some books that I hated to part w/, they w/h/b $$ to have movers move them but w/ us towing things and not having to pay for weight, it worked out fine (just had to lug it from the old house to the new house).

Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,746 times
Using the figures you provided you're going to spend $1895 to move $730 worth of furniture? I don't think there's anyway I could justify that personally.

If it were me, and this is only my personal point of view, I would sell all the furniture you listed. Then sell, or give away, everything else that you won't immediately need for your comfort and safety once you arrive at your new destination.

In other words put your immediate needs into your SUV. What doesn't fit gets sold.

When you reach your new destination, and get settled into your new apartment, then you get the pleasure of going shopping for new furniture, clothing, etc.

So, rather than spend $1895 to ship $730 worth of furniture, you'd have $2625 (plus extra for all the stuff that won't fit into your SUV) to spend to upgrade your new apartment once you arrive.

New furniture, new clothes, new ???, to start your new life in your new town.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel74 View Post
I'm wondering if selling the furniture will be cheaper than paying to have it moved.
Probably so.
About the only way it wouldn't be is if you have a lot of really nice things and/or family heirlooms you need to hold on to.

Quote:
I cant' drive a uhaul myself...
yeah you can.
even with a tow dolly on the back for your SUV.

Quote:
and I have a car, but even if I sell all my furniture, all my stuff won't fit in my car.
Sell ALL of the big stuff... get what you can and be done with them.

Very likely...
this garage sale should include the electronics and appliances too (if they aren't newish).

Stuff the rest of your stuff into your SUV.
Drive safely.

Replace it all with the stuff your new neighbor is selling
(rather than cart it to where they are going)

Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Quote:
Using the figures you provided you're going to spend $1895 to move $730 worth of furniture? I don't think there's anyway I could justify that personally.

If it were me, and this is only my personal point of view, I would sell all the furniture you listed. Then sell, or give away, everything else that you won't immediately need for your comfort and safety once you arrive at your new destination.

In other words put your immediate needs into your SUV. What doesn't fit gets sold.

When you reach your new destination, and get settled into your new apartment, then you get the pleasure of going shopping for new furniture, clothing, etc.

So, rather than spend $1895 to ship $730 worth of furniture, you'd have $2625 (plus extra for all the stuff that won't fit into your SUV) to spend to upgrade your new apartment once you arrive.
This is the game plan that makes the most economical sense to me as well. Plus it gets around the logistics - having help on the other end, finding and booking extra hotel rooms, etc..

Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Before you decide on United look at the list in the column on the right side of this page.

Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams

Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel74 View Post

Bed $200
bedroom set $150
couch $100
TV and stand $250
desk $30

total $730
And if you can't get that much for these items? Times are tight and people aren't spending money as freely as they used to.

Mr. Pessimist here...

Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
As you are finding out, the logistics of moving stuff makes it many times better to just sell instead of move things.
I've seen too many folks move stuff they really do not need at a high cost, just to get rid of it in their new place.

Many times furniture just does not fit or "go" in the new place. Seriously, keep what fits in your SUV, find someone who really knows how to pack a car...(my wife is a pro at getting tons of stuff packed just right....) Take what you can and get rid of the rest. You would be surprised at what you can find as replacements in consignment shops, etc,etc....

I'm guessing that if you had a fire tomorrow at your place there would only be a small amount of things you would really be upset about losing. THOSE are the things you pack. Then pack more until the SUV is full. Sell the rest....then start your new adventure.

They call them possessions, not because we own them, but because they sometimes own us......

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues