U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2006, 04:25 PM

338 posts, read 1,323,175 times

Advertisements

Okay, I think I recall a thread about this before-
Here are the facts: Going from NY to Eastern TN
* I will probably have to go down before my husband (I'm a teacher)
* We will probably have to rent
* Three kids
* 1 cat and 1 dog

Questions/Concerns:

How do I go about renting an apartment/house "there" from "here"?

What do I do with our stuff until we get settled? (PODS? STORAGE? or WHAT?)

Who do I trust to drive and/or deliver our stuff?

Thanks for ANY help--I have only moved once before and that was only around the bend...not three States away--that was without kid and from a small aprtment to a larger house.

Now I have to go so FAR away~ from a 4+ bedroom house to ????
I may have to be a "single" parent for the first few weeks (husband tying up loose ends here)
I have to first FIND a job and then work in a new place with new people, rules
and I have to find a trust worthy realtor...

HELP- I am starting to panic--it is only 10 months away and I know it will fly by as we get ready...

THANKS in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 07:04 PM

571 posts, read 2,294,432 times
If you can't go "scouting" for a place to rent ahead of time, you can find rentals online. Try sites like apartments.com. You can really get a lot of good info, i.e., pictures, pet policies, floorplans, etc.

I do, however, HIGHLY recommend that you follow up with some research on a site like apartmentreviews.net (there are others too) to get real people's opinions on living there. If you don't know a city it's easy to get suckered in by a nice pictures on a website only to find yourself in a bad neighborhood (I speak from experience!)

Once you've done your research and find a place you like, you can secure it online/over the phone and just sign the papers when you get there. Really nice to not have to go apartment hunting during your first few days/weeks in a new city.

Your best bet for storing the stuff you can't fit into your new place is probably a storage facility. Look for one with a security gate. Pods are nice because you can store them on your "own" property and keep a better eye on your stuff, but if you're renting that might not be an option.

As far as actually moving your stuff, you can either hire a moving company to do it (can be expensive, but a lot less work) or you can do the U-haul. Since you have to leave first though, I'm guessing you probably don't want to drive a truck/unload your stuff by yourself.

If that's the case, you could find an extended-stay type hotel (with a kitchen, etc.) to stay in just until your hubby or the movers can come with your stuff.

If you have a second vehicle and hubby is driving a U-haul (and for whatever reason can't tow the other car behind), you might want to check into driveaway companies to get your other vehicle to your new place. They're agencies that find people to drive your car for you and they have insurance to cover any damages (less risky than paying some joe off the street to do it!)

Finally, if you and hubby need some extra help unloading once you get there, you might want to check into small, local moving businesses like "starving students". Sometimes it's SO worth a few bucks to hire someone else to do the all the heavy lifting!

Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,989,864 times
Once you rent for a year, look into buying a house, they should be cheap over there and builds equity and saves you in the long run over rent.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 AM

1,943 posts, read 7,786,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
Okay, I think I recall a thread about this before-
Here are the facts: Going from NY to Eastern TN
* I will probably have to go down before my husband (I'm a teacher)
* We will probably have to rent
* Three kids
* 1 cat and 1 dog

Questions/Concerns:

How do I go about renting an apartment/house "there" from "here"?

What do I do with our stuff until we get settled? (PODS? STORAGE? or WHAT?)

Who do I trust to drive and/or deliver our stuff?

Thanks for ANY help--I have only moved once before and that was only around the bend...not three States away--that was without kid and from a small aprtment to a larger house.

Now I have to go so FAR away~ from a 4+ bedroom house to ????
I may have to be a "single" parent for the first few weeks (husband tying up loose ends here)
I have to first FIND a job and then work in a new place with new people, rules
and I have to find a trust worthy realtor...

HELP- I am starting to panic--it is only 10 months away and I know it will fly by as we get ready...

THANKS in advance!
I did something similar to you. I'm a teacher, and transferred from Philadelphia to Southwest FL without my husband, 2 kids or 4 animals. Luckily for me, my in-laws live there, so I crashed there with them for 3 months, then my kids came down, and then 6 months later i went up to help my husband drive the animals down in a minivan and we had movers deliver our stuff.

We actually had 2 bad deals with 2 different movers. I don't know if this is an option for you, but we are going to consider it. Actually, we were going to consider it when we were thinking of moving from here to TX in a couple of years, because that is farther away, but now that we too are thinking of moving to E. Tenn, we might now. Anyhow, we had thought of just selling our stuff-it's basically older and anything newer is not expensive, so this way we don't have to shell thousands on a mover and hope to get your furniture, and then with those thousands I saved, I would buy brand new.

You could just sell, and make do until you buy your house, or spend money letting it sit in pods. i would only signa 6 month lease if you were thinking of scouring first. How come you are moving before you find a job?>

There are so many places that I would live in E. Tenn, that I am going to (hopefully) or my husband-whoever is able to first, get hired by someone and then base where i would live on that.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Thanks for all of your advice...

I am moving w/o a job b/c their schools have already started and I want a specific area--or close by--so I will have to wait til the next school year to apply for a job. Does that make sense? We are waiting for our daughter to graduate HS this year too. My husband has his CDL license so he can drive the truck- and I already own 3 houses I won't rent for long if Ihave to at all!
Its just so overwhelming!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:14 PM

393 posts, read 1,741,338 times
I am with ya on the selling everything issue. For the cost of moving, renting a uhaul getting movers to help on both ends it runs up a few 1000 for sure. And u can buy new. Some things cannot be replaced. I live fairly frugally and don't have much to move, but I still have more boxes than what I have space in my car. Plus, I have 2 antique pieces of furniture that my mom refinished for me 35yrs ago. Can't leave those behind. So, I guess I will end up renting a smaller trailer.....I have to get a hitch installed and so on........I guess no matter how u slice it........Moving isn't cheap anyway u do it!!!!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Default No it is not...

moving sucks! It is expensive- and I too have antiques! And collectibles and kids and animals and...OH ! HELP!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 PM

393 posts, read 1,741,338 times
It CAN be very overwhelming and stressful. It is way up there with marriage, death, divorce........etc, etc, etc.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,371,350 times
We are moving ourselves and several pieces of luggage after having sold our house.

What we did was to find an apartment online, checking reviews, and doing phone conversation with the leasing agent, before deciding to rent there. We don't have to be as selective as others might have to do, because we don't expect to be in the apartment for all that long. We will have to rent furniture, though, which adds to the inconvenience and expense.

You can sometimes arrange to rent on a month to month basis. If you don't like the place all that well, you could then move on, but of course you would move twice. If you are truly starting over with your possessions, then that might not be a bad contingency plan, although you would have to pay the application fee and the deposit twice.

We mailed several boxes ahead to a family member where they are being held until we arrive. These boxes contain household items I don't want to have to buy while I live in an apartment.

The movers will store your stuff, and may give you 1 month's free storage. They will store it in the city you are leaving. An affiliated mover team will eventually unload and set up furniture for you at the other end. You will pay a monthly fee for storage. This is what we are doing with most of our stuff.

I don't know how the Pods system works, but I imagine that they store your stuff after you pack it up, for a fee, and will haul it to your designated site when you are ready for it.

I had several mover reps talk to us about their services before we chose the one we wanted. You will learn a lot from talking to the different reps. We found that most were comparable in cost. You have several options with movers. You should find out about the levels of service and costs from the reps you interview.

One tip we picked up was to make sure that important papers were not left in file cabinets in storage. We gathered important papers to take with us. Once the files go into storage, it is difficult to have someone retrieve them for you. So, be sure to take insurance, passports, birth certificates, estate info, health info and any other important documents with you on your move. Keep them in a secure place during your move.

Planning is everything. Try to make a plan with weekly goals. Decide to pack a room within a time frame that makes sense for your timetable, for example. Be sure you remember to plan to notify the USPS, mortgage holders of your present home or landlord, utilities, cable and internet providers, etc. Put doing so in the plan. Revisit the plan frequently and make adjustments as you gather more information.

One thing I did not plan well was for the shutting down of my kitchen. This will be hard for a family, but you will do almost no cooking during that last week before the move. You will be packing up your kitchen, and you need to use up your food. I ended up throwing out more food than I liked. For unopened packages of food, with current freshness dates, you can donate to your local food pantry. Call them first for information though.

Do not hesitate to throw items out. You don't want to pay for transport of items, and have to pack and unpack items you don't really use, like or want. Consider this process a learning experience.

It will be more expensive than you think to do the move.

Remember that buying furnishings and furniture at your new place will be expensive. If you throw away too much, you may not have what you need in your new place for a long time. There has to be a balance of keeping and purging, IMO.

I hope some of my experiences are helpful to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues