Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM

39 posts, read 83,952 times

Advertisements

I am moving half way across the US and I'm trying to narrow down my search for apartments, because I don't want to spend all my time looking at crap I'm not interested in. (Not too much to ask, I think?)

The apartment finder lady I was referred to has been flakey to say the least, says she's going to call, doesn't, tried to call her next day, wasn't available.

So I'm browsing online sites. Is it TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR SOME PICTURES OF THE APARTMENTS??? Why put up 17 pictures of nothing but the outside, frankly I don't give a rats patootie that you have a sparkling swimming pool and a well mannered landscape, but you have 1980's kitchen cabinets and carpet older than me.

I'm immediately crossing those off my list.

Also I tried calling a few places, only number I got was the "call center" and they are like used car salesmen. I specifically say, I'm moving from out of state, I have 1 cat, etc, and they go on to tell me their pet policy includes 2 animals, breed restrictions, etc. When I ask about deposit or associated fees, they don't know, when I ask about availability, they want me to come on over to take a look. WHAT PART OF I AM FROM OUT OF STATE DID YOU NOT HEAR????

Ok, I'm done venting, does anyone have any advice to go about this search???

I'm making a special trip to the city, to spend 3.5 days, looking for a place, but I wanted to have a game plan when I arrived.

Fortunately there is an abundance of apartments, very reasonably priced, however Im finding out they are extremely outdated, I'm willing to pay the price for what I get, but if I can't see the damn place, then forget it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM

10,232 posts, read 13,744,385 times
Been there done that! It is best to look at newspapers for rentals. Unfortunately, I have had very little luck finding pictures of apartments online. If you have someone flaky, don't deal with them at all, just move on unless there are no other choices. The same thing goes for people who can't comprehend that you are from out of state and can't just come and take a look. I had to deal with people like that and trust me, they don't get smarter. You are wise to make a special trip to the city, however expensive it may be to take a look. As far as a game plan, look at as many as you can and unless they are all undesirable, get a place rented before you leave. I have found the best landlords to be people who own maybe one building. The rental companies I have dealt with have almost all been crooks. If the name "management" is anywhere in the title try to stay away. I hope I am not rambling too much, if I'm clear as mud please ask any question.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM

naw, you make sense. It's so true I will get a paper when I get there, only thing is, calling these rental ads, you have NO idea what kind of craphole they might be trying to rent out.

THis rental lady is one of those apartment finder services, and I dont know if shes this flakey with all her clients or what, but I HATE flakey ppl and it's driving me crazy, she showed me a few nice places online said she was going to check into them and call me back this was on thursday, so I called her friday, like I said and she wasnt available....

The last employee hired by the hospital, which is where I'm working, used her and found a great place. So I was hopeful she could find me something, I dont know if she works off commissions or what.

I really want to call these places and say, "do you REALLY think have 17 views of the outside of your property is going to bring in the people? Is it too much to ask for an inside view? Or they have 10 views of their clubhouse, which EVERY place, I'VE EVER lived in I've yet to hang out in the clubhouse, so again, I dont' care if they even HAVE ONE. LOL

Wish me luck, it was quite expensive, with airfare, rental and hotel, but I'm hoping worth it and to come away with a lease, so i can drive there and be all settled!

Last thing I want to do is hae to pay for an extended stay while I"m still looking for a place, I'm giving myself a weeks leeway, and hoping that's enough before I have to start work.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:50 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,015,315 times
We had a flakey lady like that in Miami. I told her we wanted a house with grass, she showed us two high rise condos, we walked out of the second one caught a cab back to the hotel and went on to find a house by ourselves.

You may try posting on the city forum of the place you're moving to. Ask about certain complexes and if anyone has good recommendations.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 PM

52 posts, read 99,328 times
Not all Management companies with rentals are horrible, but then again not all apartment finder services provide what they claim to. If you are not deadset against trying another avenue, you could check out a smaller, 1 man band type finder. They tend to have a smaller clientel so they have more time to dedicate to searching and finding those smaller avenues of getting the most fantastic apartments!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,907,079 times
While you're there checking out future apartments, don't fall for "model" apartments. This is classic 'bait and switch'. The manager shows you one apartment, tells you they're all identical. She flashes through the paperwork and does a little song and dance, claiming the "small print" that says each apartment is 'slightly different' from the model refers to the location of the unit - ie upper/lower unit, east/west facing. They have you sign on the dotted line and when you return to move in, you find YOUR unit has carpet, not hardwood floors, a kitchen that hasn't been updated in 30 years, a slightly yellow paint color - and 15+ layers of paint on the interior doors, making it impossible to use the bathroom if you have guests over.

Take it from someone who moved "all over"... plan to spend 3-4 days looking at only AVAILABLE units during your trip. Only agree to rent a unit that is clean and move-in ready. Don't sign anything, unless you leave with keys in hand. Never put down a deposit without keys in hand.

Once they have your deposit and signature, some will consider it a done deal - and good luck getting your money back!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
While you're there checking out future apartments, don't fall for "model" apartments. This is classic 'bait and switch'. The manager shows you one apartment, tells you they're all identical. She flashes through the paperwork and does a little song and dance, claiming the "small print" that says each apartment is 'slightly different' from the model refers to the location of the unit - ie upper/lower unit, east/west facing. They have you sign on the dotted line and when you return to move in, you find YOUR unit has carpet, not hardwood floors, a kitchen that hasn't been updated in 30 years, a slightly yellow paint color - and 15+ layers of paint on the interior doors, making it impossible to use the bathroom if you have guests over.

Take it from someone who moved "all over"... plan to spend 3-4 days looking at only AVAILABLE units during your trip. Only agree to rent a unit that is clean and move-in ready. Don't sign anything, unless you leave with keys in hand. Never put down a deposit without keys in hand.

Once they have your deposit and signature, some will consider it a done deal - and good luck getting your money back!
This is true to some extent. They will probably show you a model unit. However, unless you plan on actually moving in the next month, there's a good chance you won't get to see the unit you want to move into (unless they are able to give the current renter 24 hrs notice and you go back the next day....a possibility). The model will at least give you a basic idea, but if you aren't moving for several months, just make sure you take a look at the place before you sign the lease.

The biggest benefit I have found to looking online - it can help narrow down where you DON'T want to look. Know that places will look fine online and may be disappointing in person- it's just the nature of the hunt. Also know that there will be places that you may come across when you are actually visiting that you never saw online.

I agree, pictures of their 'new clubhouse' means nothing if the units are crap. But from my experience, you can still tell a lot based on the outside of the building. For instance, I avoid any place that makes a point to show a playground. Some of the big sites (apartmend finder, apartments.com) do a pretty good job of detailing floorplans, rent prices, ammenities, ect - so you at least have an idea if a place fits what you are looking for.

My only tip is to pay attention to the management company for places - if you see one you like, you may be able to look up the management company and find many more options that aren't listed mainstream. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM

188 posts, read 936,086 times
Never rent a place prior to visiting and seeing it with your own eyes, If you have to stay the first Week in a extended hotel and look then do it. You might also may want to post in the city, state forum you are moving to I've found out people will tell you up front where not to move into.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:43 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,209,219 times
I posted in CL, what I wanted, how much I had, and that I had credit problems. A realtor called me, I met him, and he showed me several places, in his car. I picked one, did the paperwork, it was fine.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Yes, fortunately, I'm on to their bait and switch theme and i realize that may be all they have to show, but I ask very specific questions, is the carpet exactltly same, color, are the walls the same, layout? blinds, # of kitchen cabinets, etc.

i plan on spending a busy few days there, hopefully to find something

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
This is true to some extent. They will probably show you a model unit. However, unless you plan on actually moving in the next month, there's a good chance you won't get to see the unit you want to move into (unless they are able to give the current renter 24 hrs notice and you go back the next day....a possibility). The model will at least give you a basic idea, but if you aren't moving for several months, just make sure you take a look at the place before you sign the lease.

The biggest benefit I have found to looking online - it can help narrow down where you DON'T want to look. Know that places will look fine online and may be disappointing in person- it's just the nature of the hunt. Also know that there will be places that you may come across when you are actually visiting that you never saw online.

I agree, pictures of their 'new clubhouse' means nothing if the units are crap. But from my experience, you can still tell a lot based on the outside of the building. For instance, I avoid any place that makes a point to show a playground. Some of the big sites (apartmend finder, apartments.com) do a pretty good job of detailing floorplans, rent prices, ammenities, ect - so you at least have an idea if a place fits what you are looking for.

My only tip is to pay attention to the management company for places - if you see one you like, you may be able to look up the management company and find many more options that aren't listed mainstream. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues