U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-17-2011, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,754 times
Default Truck cab size

Hi.. My family and I are in the planning stages of moving from Las Vegas to Atlanta and we were trying to find out what the maximum number of people is that can fit in the cab of a rental truck (it UHaul, Penske, Budget, etc).. We have 4 definite and possibly 5, 2 adults, 2 teenagers and a 7 month old (will be nearly 9 months by the time of the move). We don't own a vehicle of our own, plus I do not drive (my wife would be the lone driver), so going in 2 vehicles is out..Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-17-2011, 11:39 PM

498 posts, read 341,683 times
The Penske trucks that I have rented seat three passengers. Not sure about the other companies but my guess would be three in those also.

Unread 05-18-2011, 04:47 AM

16,051 posts, read 16,427,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg3dx View Post
We have 4 definite and possibly 5, 2 adults, 2 teenagers and a 7 month old (will be nearly 9 months by the time of the move).

The two best drivers among the adults and (maybe) the oldest/strongest of the teens.
Everyone else flies.

But even with taking turns...
don't expect more than 500 miles a day (avg) on the most boring, beat up, and constantly under construction road in the world (I-40)

Unread 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,472,050 times
Go to the rental location and sit int he trucks. Thats the only way to know for sure how it feels.

Unread 05-19-2011, 09:18 AM

2,742 posts, read 3,680,061 times
3 but the middle person wont be all that comforable and noone will really be able to fit any personal items in the cab.

Unread 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,975,895 times
The best is a walk-through. It allows passage from the cab to the cargo area. If you can find one in the size you need, that's the best as you can seat some of your passengers in back.

Many rental trucks have 70 MPH governors. Although the rental agent may not know if the truck has one, definitely try to get one without. Also, in these days of high gas prices, try to get a diesel if it's available in the size you need. You will save money, perhaps a chunk.

Make a reservation with the corporate reservation people, not the local agent. You'll ge a better deal by far.

Unread 05-25-2011, 12:39 AM

176 posts, read 345,686 times
We are renting a truck soon, we went to Uhaul, Penske and Budget. The biggest cab was in the Penske truck, 3 large adults with plenty of room.
I would recommend taking everyone and visiting each company you are considering and sit everyone inside the cab together, you might also check if you can actually have that many people in the cab at the same time it might be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues