U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,657,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Go Greyhound, still! LOL
Thanks, but no thanks. BTDT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 PM

3,047 posts, read 6,578,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaHoeHotPotatoe View Post
Thanks, ladies, for weighing in on a woman driving alone. I have just had gall bladder surgery, and only have 4 days to get up there-and I have had complications with the surgery-so must take pain pills now to make it possible to function. Thus, I don't feel that I can drive alone-for very long at a time-and won't drive under the influence. If I had a longer period of time, this would be an option.....thus the decision to drive one car with my mother and the dog, and ship the other with the movers-it is costing me a bundle-but that is all I can do now.
I am not sure what you meant by ship with the movers and what the cost of that is but did you check into car transport companies? That is how I have moved my car many times. The price from company to company seems to vary too so it is good to shop around. Also to check BBS for complaints and ask about the companies insurance.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 PM

26,520 posts, read 62,925,435 times
I and my brother and sister all did this at varous times during college. Sometimes it was great, sometimes awful.

Normally, you pay for the gas and a return ticket. Sometimes yu pay for food and hotels, sometimes it is up to them. You should have the car in top shape. Recent oil change, newer tires, lube, wipers, fluids topped off and not leaking, mirrors intact and working. Help them plan a route and leave time for sightseeing and rest. If you push them too hard, they may crash your car. If they are a day or two late, not to worry. Three or four days WORRY. Now with cell phones you can keep track of your car daily and it is not unreasoanble to ask them to report progress each day.

One time my brother and sister picked up the car and found it completely stuffed full of owners things. No room for their luggage at all. No room to lay down in the back seat. The car was not in great shape and they had to buy windshield wipers and get an oil change along the way.

When they arrived they were given the owner's return air tickets (they bought round trip tickets and just gave my brother and sister the return half). It cost $100 to change the return tickets to their names (cannto do that at all now). The return tickets were for a week later. The owner offered to allow them to sleep in their basement as long as they left by 7 a.m. and returned before 8 p.m., but no earlier than 7 p.m. No heat, no bed, just concrete.

they came back swishing they had taken the car off roading or something along the way.

College kids are often willing to do this just to go somewhere for free. However you take a gamble whenever you use anyone. Are they stoners? Are they good drivers? All you can really do is get references and have good insurance. Even then, they could pick their nose and wipe it on the seat (this happened) or something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues