U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 AM

58 posts, read 166,469 times

Advertisements

I had my cousin lined up to drive one of my vehicles to my new home, however, her mother, my Aunt, just fell and broke her hip, so now my cousin is not available to help me out.

I need to get my 1993 Honda from L.A. to either Medford, Oregon or Boise, Idaho-and I have no friends that can drive it there for me. I have priced it with the moving company and it will cost over $1,000. to have them move it.

Any ideas on how to get it up there cheaper??? Am willing to give someone a plane ticket to come to L.A. to pick up the car and drive it to either location, and then fly home. Am I crazy??? Will someone I don't know just steal my car???? How do people do this, accomplish this??????

Any answers are much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 AM

28,390 posts, read 61,750,545 times
it won't happen for free or even for cheap...
900 miles worth of fuel, a night in a motel, a few Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast Platters...
and if you hire it out... the return trip airfare too

You could look on craigslist for someone responsible, with a clean driving record, who needs or just wants to get to ID... maybe one of the 1000's of retired cops who have relocated there?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 AM

806 posts, read 2,021,852 times
Why can't you just do it at a later date?
Park it at a friends house, a storage facility or somewhere safe, until you have the time to fly back and drive it....

Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM

21,260 posts, read 21,760,201 times
Back in the early 70s a buddy of mine and I hitch-hiked to San Diego from Minneapolis. On the way back and somewhere near Bakersfield, two cars pulled over with a guy in one car and two others in the other. Turns out this guy worked for Cal Worthington and was taking two cars to his ranch in Livingston, MT. His plan was to pick up hitch-hikers along the way to drive one of the two cars. The first two hitch-hikers got out in Vegas and we drove his other car all the way to his ranch in Montana. He'd split us up for the first half-day or so but eventually trusted us enough where we would ride together and follow along behind.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM

9,110 posts, read 17,047,857 times
One of the question is? How much is a '93 Honda worth? Is it worth moving? Bluebook for that age car is around $1,000. Might be cheaper and easyer to sell it off in Calf, and use the money to put towards a new(er) car.

When you add up, Airfare $250, Gas ??, Hotel $75?, Meals $50. Paying some one to drive it ??

You might be better off selling it, Also its 18yo How much life does it have left?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 AM

177 posts, read 610,167 times
Tow it behind the vehicle that you are driving? You can rent a car trailer from U-haul. Of course, the vehicle you are driving has to be capable of doing the towing.

I have no idea how much this costs though.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
one, is a 1993 Honda even car worthy to make the trip? I know that I would personally not drive any car that I did not know, that age, with over 100,000 on that trip. The roads are lonely and sparse once you leave populated areas.

Sell it, or store it and drive it yourself when you have the time. I would not take the job myself. So, if I would not do it...I am wondering who would...after all...it is not a 2005 Honda...and even that would proabably have at least 50,000, but would be a car I would feel I could trust on a long trip.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,441,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaHoeHotPotatoe View Post
I had my cousin lined up to drive one of my vehicles to my new home, however, her mother, my Aunt, just fell and broke her hip, so now my cousin is not available to help me out.

I need to get my 1993 Honda from L.A. to either Medford, Oregon or Boise, Idaho-and I have no friends that can drive it there for me. I have priced it with the moving company and it will cost over $1,000. to have them move it.

Any ideas on how to get it up there cheaper??? Am willing to give someone a plane ticket to come to L.A. to pick up the car and drive it to either location, and then fly home. Am I crazy??? Will someone I don't know just steal my car???? How do people do this, accomplish this??????

Any answers are much appreciated!!!
Yes, IMO this is a crazy idea. I sure wouldn't drive someone's ancient mystery heap for 900 miles without getting paid.

You "may" save a couple hundred dollars doing this (with the airfare for one way trip, hotel, food, gas, etc). Assuming that the car makes it without any problems. If there is a mechanical problem, you are probably out much more. Not to mention, if the person driving it is on a budget for time, you're going to be pretty much responsible for getting them from wherever the breakdown occurred, back home. And then you'll somehow have to fetch your car from nowheresville, Utah, or wherever it ends up.

Additionally, there is the issue of liability. Your car, driven 900 miles by a person you're finding on the internet? Theft wouldn't worry me, but some idiot crossing the median and killing someone while driving my car, would worry me.

And this is to save what, $200-$300? Are you crazy? Maybe not, but the old saying "penny wise and pound foolish" definitely applies. If you want the car, then ship it. No question.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,975,451 times
Ship it, suck it up and pay the $1000 to move it with the moving company, or fly back and drive it yourself later. Or sell it. The only people you will be able to find willing to drive it for you are friends or family. Anyone else will have suspicious motives.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:25 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
I was going to suggest contacting some church folk up in Idaho, usually Mormons have lots of college kids hanging out...but your car is too old.

Fyi...for general moving help, I am not even mormon, but have contacted this church, they have a huge network of folks willing to help you out, once I was stuck in a new town, no friends or relatives and spouse sent away. I had three little ones, and a huge house full of boxes to unpack. I called this church and they sent over a team of young men and women to help me. I ordered pizza, and they were so great. I paid them for their help, they did noto want the money. Truly blessed that day. I needed the help so bad. Better yet, I met some great kids who then became my "network" of babysitters, and yard helpers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues