U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 01:32 PM

7,644 posts, read 8,920,557 times

Advertisements

I think as long as you're not in a city you should be safe. I've left things in the back of my car and stayed in motels.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM

5,816 posts, read 13,252,975 times
Pick a decent hotel (Homewood Suites). Everything should be safe, but take $$ items like computer, IPAD, etc. in each night.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM

49 posts, read 74,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedzephyr View Post
Hello everyone!

I'll be moving from Texas to Virginia this summer for school and was thinking of just packing up my belongings in my car (I don't have too much stuff so I don't need to rent a moving truck or anything like that).

Since the drive is 19+ hours, I won't be able to do the drive all in one trip. I was thinking of sleeping at a hotel either once or twice along the way so I'm not sleepy while driving. I'm concerned if it would be safe for me to leave my packed boxes in the car while I'm sleeping at the hotel at night. Should I be worried if someone would want to break into my car and steal the boxes?

I tried to search the forums for this before posting but couldn't find a thread that is specifically about this.

Has anyone tried to move this way, packing up a car with your belongings and sleeping at hotels along the way?

Thanks!
I wanted to thank you for asking this question! My fiance and I are getting ready to drive up to Baltimore from Florida in mid July. We are planning to stop in North Carolina for an overnight stay, and we were worried about leaving two cars filled with our belongings in a hotel parking lot. I think we'll just bring in the valuables like the TV & computer and leave the rest in the cars. The majority of what we're taking is clothes and books.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:50 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,617,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw315 View Post
I wanted to thank you for asking this question! My fiance and I are getting ready to drive up to Baltimore from Florida in mid July. We are planning to stop in North Carolina for an overnight stay, and we were worried about leaving two cars filled with our belongings in a hotel parking lot. I think we'll just bring in the valuables like the TV & computer and leave the rest in the cars. The majority of what we're taking is clothes and books.
As long as you cars are locked your car insurance will cover any/all personal belongs up to your deductible.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:55 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,575,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Pick a decent hotel (Homewood Suites). Everything should be safe, but take $$ items like computer, IPAD, etc. in each night.
Agreed. Also take anything of value that cannot be replaced.

I made the mistake of stopping off for a margarita in TX on my way to AZ. Met a couple locals who asked us if we wanted to go shoot a game of pool. Said ok. Wouldn't you know? 45 minutes later the windows were smashed and the ONE thing I could not replace (cards, letters, poems of my life) was taken. They left the stereo and TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues