U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:17 PM

103 posts, read 218,374 times

Advertisements

Starting a cross country move on Sunday with my husband, a 16ft. Penske truck, and car on a trailer (all four wheels off the ground). I was told by an uncle who is also a Commercial driver that we would have to stop at all open truck weigh stations.

Has anyone had experience with this, or had to do this?

My husband currently has a CDL (commercial drivers license) from a previous career but is no longer driving. I am hoping to get some input before attempting to call every DMV between here and California (I just don't have the minutes to sit on hold that long...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 02:31 PM

17,426 posts, read 23,277,323 times
In several places (but not all) the signs you read will direct rental trucks to stop as well.
So long as you aren't carrying anything or anyone illegal... you'll be fine.
But I know I've seen these on I-40 recently.

I suppose there is a list somewhere...
maybe even organized by Interstate Number

Old 05-25-2011, 11:42 PM

5,252 posts, read 8,125,023 times
When I moved, I had the same question. My dad is a former truck driver and so is my uncle. I got two different answers. lol. My dad said no when hauling personal belongings. My uncle said yes. So I made some phone calls. I was going to be traveling the Ohio Turnpike and the Indiana Toll road. I called the 1800 numbers for both and was told I did not have to stop. The Uhaul website says each state varies.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,519,122 times
Do you have to stop depends on many things and each state. The thing to remember is many exempt rental trucks when on personal household moves. but the inspectors and agents don;t know if it's personal or commerical so its not uncommon to be stopped by police for passing one up and they just let you go on your way after they confirm its personal. From time to time we use rental trucks to pick up or drop of things for work and we are required to stop at the stations and most of the times as we get to the scale the by-pass green light flashes. Odds of getting stopped is slim but its an annoyance to get stopped so read the signs and if your not sure, just drive on in and they just may green light you before you can slow down.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM

504 posts, read 2,133,537 times
If you're moving interstate using a rental truck between June 7-9, 2011, your chances of being pulled over will be a lot greater.

This year the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s (CVSA) announced that they're holding their annual 72-hour International Roadcheck during those three days.

This year, Roadcheck 2011 will "include added emphasis on finding carriers of household goods (HHG) who may be operating “under-the-radar” by using improperly marked rental vehicles and/or operating as a property carrier rather than HHG carrier."

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has noticed a disproportionate drop in HHG carrier registrations and believes some HHG carriers are commercially moving household goods either in unmarked rental or leased vehicles or in vans/trailers that are marked but with improper authority.

As a result, CVSA inspectors will put a sharper focus on this activity and take any necessary enforcement action.

SOURCE: Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (http://www.cvsa.org/news/2011_press.aspx - broken link)

Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 PM

3,014 posts, read 1,896,446 times
Drive past it. If you soon see flashing lights behind you then more than likely you shouldve stopped.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 PM

11,207 posts, read 18,690,859 times
I never have pulled into an 'weigh station' when using a rental truck for personal goods. I ALWAYS stop when using a rental truck for commercial transport.

Last week did an eastbound run in a (HEAVY) rental truck NorthWest coast to Dallas. Did an earlier run (January) NW to NM. Never stopped.

This week I did a 4000 mile road trip (not in rental truck), tho I watch them closely (a lifelong CDL driver), and haven't seen any stepped up activity YET,,, YMMV (But I wouldn't stop if I was of legal weight and ONLY carrying personal items.)

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 AM

9 posts, read 72,611 times
I did not have to stop for weigh stations, but there was an Agricultural checkpoint at FL/GA that instructed rental trucks to stop, so I did for that one. Basically if the sign says ALL TRUCKS or specifies Rental Trucks, I would stop.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 PM

103 posts, read 218,374 times
Default Made it

Thanks for the input!

We decided to play it safe and just pulled in to all the ones that were open (which wasn't very many on Memorial Day weekend), just in case. We only had to stop at the first open Arizona weigh station, he just asked us where we were headed and waved us on, and the the agricultural checkpoint at the California border, where they had us open the truck. Every other state (Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and new Mexico) only had one weigh station open and they all just wave us through.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 31,990 times
can anyone tell me how much is thecurb weight of penske 16 ft and 22 ft.Diesel Non-CDL Cargo Vans,as we are moving and we hired a moving company, he was not interested in telling us in thing only thing he said its empty weight is 16500lb
please help as we feel cheated and threatened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues