Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,399,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
For large heavy items like a kitchenaid mixer, I use the plastic totes. They can take the heavy weight and I don't worry about the edges crushing.
I use plastic totes for everything. Yes at first it is a bit more expensive but you don't throw them out after the move like you do with boxes. Compared to the price of some moving boxes, I've found that the totes on sale can be less expensive for the same packing area. I replace the totes when they crack which is about every ten years or so. I use them around the house for everything from x-mas decorations to off season clothing. They don't break down like boxes and the bugs stay out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 05:41 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,916 times
Those of you who use plastic totes, did you buy them online? I may be using the wrong search words, but I can't find a place that sells to individuals.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,178 times
Professional movers generally don't like to handle the type of colorful plastic storage containers stocked in big-box stores. Their cheap, lightweight construction make them prone to cracking and splitting when moved and stacked or exposed to extreme heat or cold.

Most mover supply houses sell the extra-heavy duty plastic crates used within the full-service moving and storage industry, but they're extremely expensive. Expect to pay $18-30.00 for each commercial grade container.

Last year a new a Florida based company called Bungo Boxes started a nationwide franchise that rents these same type of heavy-duty plastic containers for both short- and long-term use. In April, 2011, franchise rights were granted to a Canadian outfit. They opened their first office in the provinces in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

The boxes are made from recycled plastic and come in two sizes - 3 cu ft and 4 cu ft. They are delivered (and picked up!) at your door. The average residential customer rents 50-100 containers to complete their household relocation. Most commercial shippers usually require 300-1500 units.

To some, the out-of-pocket expense for renting seems cost prohibitive. These sturdy professional-grade units, however, have their own built in dolly system that allows them to be rolled from room to room and then stacked four high when being loaded or unloaded. This makes them an ideal option for singles, young families and older homeowners who are either moving or downsizing themselves.

Their rigid construction and interlocking lids means that users don't have to spend the time or expense of assembling, taping, sealing; or disassembling and disposing of each unit like they would corrugated cartons. Their uniform size and burst capacity allows them to be packed heavier than the standard moving carton.

Although I've never used this new service and haven't had the chance to interview any actual customers yet, I suspect that the actual rental cost of using heavy-duty reusable plastic containers is probably competitive with or even slightly cheaper than buying your own lightweight storage containers or cheap moving boxes.

Especially after you factor in the ease of acquisition and use, and overall environmental impact of using heavy-duty reusable plastic containers that can be handled 400 times before they have to be recycled.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 PM

512 posts, read 947,493 times
I used apple boxes from the grocery store. They are free, clean, extremely sturdy, stack well, and include some type of packing which can easily be reused for your dishes. Not one box that I used was crushed or dented and we had approximately 150 boxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues