U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,994,273 times

Advertisements

and wish you didnt or was it the best move you ever made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM

15,690 posts, read 26,659,739 times
Just wondering, Is moving out of Atlanta differant from moving out of other places? I am assuming that the same kind of services for moving are available in that city.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM

i live in atlanta so thats why i ask....didnt want it to be so broad

Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,258,423 times
To answer the question: We moved away and now wish we didn't! (and I never thought I would say that)

We moved from FL to North GA/ north metro Atlanta area in 2006. In Jan. 2010, I got the idea that I wanted to move back to FL. (I lived in FL since I was 2 and my entire family still lives here)

So we made it happen. Sold the house in record time and arrived back in FL in July 2010. Well, it turns out that the same reasons we originally left FL are still here! (duh) My husband was pretty much against moving back, but he also wasn't totally happy with things in GA either.

We bought a home here, but the neighbors are obnoxious (revving trucks and shooting guns) and we had to spend $3,200 for a new septic drainfield right off the bat. The local news headlines are nothing but child abuse and crime. A few weeks after we moved in, there were 2 home invasions in my little neighborhood. (at 1PM) A gang member robbed his friend and then walked over to our street and kicked in the front doors of two homes. That could have been my home and then what?

We left a good situation up there and ended up much worse here. My husband had a somewhat secure job in GA and we had a bigger and nicer home (but I didn't like the layout and we didn't have a basement). Everything is cheaper up in GA: homeowner's insurance, auto insurance (HALF as much in GA), health insurance was much better out my husband's old job, and the electric rates were cheaper too.

The winters there were tough on me with the drizzle and bare trees, but that's only because I grew up on the "Florida bubble" where we have NO winter at all. It was good for me to see 4 seasons and get a taste of life outside of FL.

So to make matters worse, my husband just lost his job here. We are still in pretty good shape, but I haven't worked in 5 years (was staying home with the kids) so it will be tough to break back into my career field now, but I'm trying.

The good points are (1) we're in a good school zone and (2) Three houses just sold in our neighborhood recently and they were FSBO and a lot higher price than our house cost, so we could probably sell OR rent for approx. $300 "profit" a month.

We're taking this opportunity to re-evaluate everything. We might have one more move in us, but that has to be it!

I realize now that living an 8 hour drive away from my parents is not that big of deal - one day and we are door to door. It was tough having our two children only see them a few times a year and being road warriors for the holidays (arriving back in ATL to traffic jams + sleeting icy rain was not fun!).

However, I think that the lower cost of living in ATL is a real plus. Also, there seems to be more economic activity (more corporate HQ and more manufacturing base than FL) Home prices are great in ATL, and rents are cheaper than in FL too.

I have no idea what we will end up doing, but both of us want to see 4 seasons again. I would love ot get a home with a basement. I also liked watching deer and chipmunks in our yard in GA. My kids will be old enough in a few years to go hiking and camping and then we could really have some fun there!

Donnie and Donna, are you getting tired of ATL? A few things I did not like were traffic, the smog in the summer, the wet winters, and the gangs.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
To answer the question: We moved away and now wish we didn't! (and I never thought I would say that)

We moved from FL to North GA/ north metro Atlanta area in 2006. In Jan. 2010, I got the idea that I wanted to move back to FL. (I lived in FL since I was 2 and my entire family still lives here)

So we made it happen. Sold the house in record time and arrived back in FL in July 2010. Well, it turns out that the same reasons we originally left FL are still here! (duh) My husband was pretty much against moving back, but he also wasn't totally happy with things in GA either.

We bought a home here, but the neighbors are obnoxious (revving trucks and shooting guns) and we had to spend $3,200 for a new septic drainfield right off the bat. The local news headlines are nothing but child abuse and crime. A few weeks after we moved in, there were 2 home invasions in my little neighborhood. (at 1PM) A gang member robbed his friend and then walked over to our street and kicked in the front doors of two homes. That could have been my home and then what?

We left a good situation up there and ended up much worse here. My husband had a somewhat secure job in GA and we had a bigger and nicer home (but I didn't like the layout and we didn't have a basement). Everything is cheaper up in GA: homeowner's insurance, auto insurance (HALF as much in GA), health insurance was much better out my husband's old job, and the electric rates were cheaper too.

The winters there were tough on me with the drizzle and bare trees, but that's only because I grew up on the "Florida bubble" where we have NO winter at all. It was good for me to see 4 seasons and get a taste of life outside of FL.

So to make matters worse, my husband just lost his job here. We are still in pretty good shape, but I haven't worked in 5 years (was staying home with the kids) so it will be tough to break back into my career field now, but I'm trying.

The good points are (1) we're in a good school zone and (2) Three houses just sold in our neighborhood recently and they were FSBO and a lot higher price than our house cost, so we could probably sell OR rent for approx. $300 "profit" a month.

We're taking this opportunity to re-evaluate everything. We might have one more move in us, but that has to be it!

I realize now that living an 8 hour drive away from my parents is not that big of deal - one day and we are door to door. It was tough having our two children only see them a few times a year and being road warriors for the holidays (arriving back in ATL to traffic jams + sleeting icy rain was not fun!).

However, I think that the lower cost of living in ATL is a real plus. Also, there seems to be more economic activity (more corporate HQ and more manufacturing base than FL) Home prices are great in ATL, and rents are cheaper than in FL too.

I have no idea what we will end up doing, but both of us want to see 4 seasons again. I would love ot get a home with a basement. I also liked watching deer and chipmunks in our yard in GA. My kids will be old enough in a few years to go hiking and camping and then we could really have some fun there!

Donnie and Donna, are you getting tired of ATL? A few things I did not like were traffic, the smog in the summer, the wet winters, and the gangs.

yes i am tired of atlanta..ti.my husband wants to move to his hometown Michigan. I want to go with him but its scary trying to make a new start.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 PM

167 posts, read 410,710 times
We have been here in the ATL for almost two years now. Initially I was super excited to move here!!! That wore off quickly dealing with the education system here. Apparently everyone here in Coweta thinks it's wonderful, which I guess if it's all you've known then so be it. We move every two years due to military orders and my children have never ever had this much stress in school or homework. Even my son's ABA Therapist told the middle school what she thought of them.

We leave in two weeks and I couldn't be more excited to leave this behind us and move on in our lives. It is a beautiful city and we've had fun, but this isn't for us. Moving to a new place sight unseen is hard and stressful at times, but I've done that four times now and that stress is nothing compared to the stress I've been under in the two years of living here.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,258,423 times
Hmmm. My experience with the schools in our fomer area of GA was that things were a lot more loosey-goosey than here in FL. Now after our new Governor and lawmakers have done even more damage, I think my kids would have a better experience in the GA system. (we are going to test our kids to death here; literally a test in every subject, at every grade is coming soon. 1st grade PE test; middle school music "bubble test", 3rd grade art scantron test (and they only have art once every 9 days for 45 min).

We are going way in the wrong direction. School is NOT fun anymore and we are killing the desire to learn by doing "drill and kill" and teach to the test. The state standards are way too high: 5th grade now is like 8th grade was when I was in the FL schools.

Kids need to have fun, learn to be creative and think critically. Instead, we are conditioning them that everything boils down to a,b,c, or d on the answer sheet. Hear it, and vomit it back up on the test = success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues