Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 AM

23 posts, read 110,746 times

Advertisements

If there's already been a thread on this, I apologize.

But as you can tell from the thread title, I'm considering moving to DC without a job. I graduated last spring with a Journalism degree from a University just outside DC, about 6 hours from my hometown. Right now, I'm back living at home, working two part time jobs; one which is doing PR/web writing for a company, the second is a retail job which I've had since I was in HS.

Since graduation, I've been applying for PR/Marketing/Writing jobs in the major city that I went to school near, and other big cities on the east coast. As you can imagine, I've had pretty bad luck in finding something. Plus living at home isn't too ideal. I get along well with my parents, but I really do not want to live here in the city where I grew up, mostly because there aren't alot of jobs in my field, but also there really isn't too much to do, especially for young professionals. It's always been a dream of mine to live in a big city. Well, I found out that I'm going to be laid off from the PR/web writing job. It wasn't a huge shock, as the company has been having financial issues, and the writings sort of been on the wall for a while, but it's still somewhat of a shock.

So basically, knowing this, I'm considering moving to DC. The retail store which I work at has a store just outside DC, and it is easy to transfer between stores in different cities. My plan would be to start working at that retail store right away, just to have some source of income, and then possibly get a temp job to start out. I'd keep looking for PR jobs, but at least I could do some face to face networking, something that I obviously haven't had a chance to do, but I'm sure it would be beneficial. Plus, I have many friends in that city, so my social life would improve, even if I won't be able to go out all the time. I just know that I can't just keep sending resumes over email anymore, as I've been doing that for almost a year, and it hasn't gotten me any success. In addition, I can't stand the feeling that my life is going to pass me by if I keep staying here at home.

I figure that I'd have about $4,000 saved up. I have some loans, but fortunately, living at home I've been able to pay off a decent portion of my student loans, and I now owe less than 5K. I have a car loan for about 8K, but the only reason I'd need a car initially in DC is because the retail store isn't accessible by Metro. If I was to get a job that I wouldn't need a car to get to, I would sell the car. Anyone who has experience doing something like this, what was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 10:54 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Maybe you should take a few weeks, go to DC and pound the pavement looking for a job, rather than pick up and move permanently. In this way you aren't commited to a specific area and can consider other large cities.

Your savings would be gone quickly, especially with the COL in DC area.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
moving anywhere without a job is just plain stupid. unless of course you have enough saved up to live at LEAST a year.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM

122 posts, read 359,323 times
i know when i Moved from Michigan to Las Vegas i need it to have a paper saying i was going to Work there from a Plumbing Co. before they would let me Rent a House... or Apartment..

There was no way i was moving to a Budget in.. ect...

i am sure DC might be there same Maybe check with the DC forum on here..

Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
As a single young person with a college degree and the willingness to work...
to include doing jobs that don't pay as much as others...
and jobs that aren't what you went to school for...
and jobs that aren't what you would really prefer to be doing...
you should be able to pay the bills and make a life for yourself just about anywhere.

DC proper and the larger Metro area will have LOTS of opportunities for you.

You may discover along the way that some other field of work suits you well.
Be prepared for that to work out even better than your own preferences.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
moving anywhere without a job is just plain stupid. unless of course you have enough saved up to live at LEAST a year.
The only thing stupid, is this comment. Myself and many others have moved to other cities without jobs and less than a year's worth salary saved up. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to get a job in another state and city prior to moving unless you have some rare specialized skill. No one is going to hire someone living in another state when 1.) they don't for certain they'll show up. 2.) there are more than enough local candidates to choose from. 3.) they aren't able to interview you in person. And it's a complete waste of money to try and fly last minute to a city for an interview. And if you had read his post, he will have work when he arrives. So please refrain from giving out advice on interstate moves, as you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I have successfully along with many others pulled off interstate moves with less than a years savings and no job. The OP isn't even in that situation.

OP, since you are able to transfer stores, you are in a great situation. Most of us have to just save up some money, move, then hit the pavement hard and live frugally until we secure down perm work. Once you get to DC, you'll have a better chance to compete for the PR jobs. All the while you'll have some income coming in from the retail gig. I would suggest subletting a place over renting an apartment until you've secured full time work outside the retail job if possible.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,547 times
You stated that you had friends in the DC area. Maybe you could live with them until you found something permanent. It may take a while, but a job that is right for you will happen. Keep your positive attitude.

Consider posting on the DC site as someone suggested. You never know who is reading.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 AM

9 posts, read 14,056 times
only thing i can say if your parents are ok with you living with them you shouldnt make such a move with out having a job. you got 4000.00 saved up and that is excellent why not work p/t for a media company or something in that field and then get something like a full time job. That way while you are working volunteering in a job of your field you are gaining skills, you can find a job that will provide your income so you can be self sufficient. Do what you love, but remember you are living with other people and not by yourself

Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 AM

145 posts, read 420,619 times
I've thought about doing this sort of move as well. Only difference between the OP and me is that I don't have that sort of debt and a vehicle that is paid off. I've always wondered what would be an acceptable amount of cash to do a move like this. If I were to do it, once I had a place to stay ( to have an actual address in the state ) I would go to every temp agency in the area and would accept anything they could offer regardless of wage and no restriction on what hours I could work. I do agree with the person that said rent/sublet would be the way to go.

I guess my question is what would be a Realistic amount if money to do this ?

People I have told this sort of idea to think the idea is far fetched and unrealistic. I don't think it is at all

Old 05-15-2011, 02:16 PM

286 posts, read 699,583 times
Anyway you look at it, staying in a city with a limited opportunity is a losing proposition.

If you are young and looking to leave, then:

* Find new city and set a deadline to move
* Apply for jobs until the day you move
* Save up 10-15k
* Hone skills that will beneficial in new job market
* Find roommates to save money
* Be willing to work two jobs
* Then make the move and do whatever it takes to achieve your goals.

The people who tell you not to move w/o a job are idiots. While you will take a hit in your short-term standard of living, your long-term opportunities grow 10x.

If you're young, then just do it. This world is radically different than your parents'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues