Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 PM

328 posts, read 431,374 times

Advertisements

Checking the prices from our move from Ohio to Myrtle Beach and they both are within 100.00 of each other as far as total cost one way goes.

I have used both in the past and had no trouble at all with them.
Anyone have any recent experiences with Uhaul or Penske? Or any other moving trucks?

Does anyone have any discounts links or ways to cut the cost of moving 750 miles? The gas alone is going to be a small fortune. We will have to make 2 trips so any cost saving is a huge plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,654,642 times
The last time I moved with a self-drive (U-Haul, I was 28) I swore that I would never do it again. Finding/buying boxes, Packing, loading, lifting, stuffing, taking down, storing screws, hauling, driving, unloading, unpacking, setting up, lifting... nope. Never again. I didn't move for 20 years.

And I didn't use a self-drive this last time either. This last time I contracted with Allied. They came in with their own tape and their own boxes, packed everything up, loaded everything, drove it all 1700 miles... and kept it until I was ready to have it delivered. Then they not only delivered it, but put everything where I wanted it, and even set up the beds, etc. Cost - $1500 (+ tips, and I tip heavily) for a 3 BR 1000 sq foot home plus ceramics shop, woodworking shop, and garage. And worth every danged penny. Oh, the joy of putting the dogs and suitcases in the car and pickup, and driving as far as we wanted each day, then stopping whenever, not having to worry about returning the truck, finding a gas station with a high overhang, or unloading in a hurry!

Some things are worth paying for. Especially if you have stairs. They broke only two things - two unimportant lamps. All the glass, furniture (some antiques), and all of the ceramic molds (heavy plaster) came through without a scratch.

Call them - or any moving company. They will come out and give you an estimate and you don't have to sign it or agree to it. But you might be surprised at both the savings of time, effort, and back and legs, as well as the cost. No, I don't work for them!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:48 PM

328 posts, read 431,374 times
Thank you but I just do not trust other people with my belongings.
All the good stories I have heard get overshadowed by the problems I have heard. The breakage I have heard about alone would not allow me to hire them.
We do not mind doing it ourselves. From this end we can get family to help as needed and I am sure if we need help with the furniture we can always find a couple willing neighborhood teenage boys who want to earn some extra money for a hour or so work.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,352,944 times
I've used both in the past, but more recently I've only used U-Haul because the trucks are brand new, and much easier to drive, and are lower to the ground, so easier to load.

Seriously, the new U-Haul trucks are soooo much easier all around than they used to be. It's no contest for me!

One final thought, be sure to compare gas mileage when you make your final choice - newer trucks tend to use less gas.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,457,980 times
Budget Rental Trucks. I used to use U-Haul but the mileage is too high now. I use Budget and get a 30% discount which makes it about 59 cents per mile. Google Budget and 30% and see what you get. Also Budget trucks are clean and maintained great. U-Haul, the last time I used them, the truck was dirty and old.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,997,924 times
Have used UHaul trucks for moves...never again! Two many mechanical problems with the trucks I rented: bad battery on one, and on another truck it would not accelerate more than 30 mph! We had to find another UHaul place and ended up moving our belongings to a different truck...what a pain. Very weird though because when we picked up the truck and drove it to our home, we were able to get it up to 35 mph...wow, a whole 5 mph faster!

Maybe we were just unfortunate in the ones we rented...can't say all UHaul trucks are bad..but I won't take that chance again.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:00 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,667,410 times
Penske Penske Penske.

I've driven one from Dallas to Chicago, Coure D'Alene, ID to Chicago and Chicago back to Dallas. It was great, no issues whatsover. I cannot say that about UHaul. I've had issues with every Uhaul truck that i've ever rented. Local and interstate. Never again. Will always go with Penske.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,405,258 times
Penske... UHaul is crap. Everyone but 1 person I have known that has used UHaul has had at least one major problem in a UHaul move... usually involving the truck breaking down and them taking forever to come fix it.

Penske on the other hand... only one person I know who has rented them had a problem, and they were there within thirty minutes helping her reload her new truck for her. Everyone else has had zero problems... and for me, when I moved my stuff from Omaha to Louisville, it was cheaper for a bigger truck and higher gas mileage than UHaul!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:34 AM

39 posts, read 83,995 times
HOW on EARTH did you pay such a LOW amount, I talked to allied today and got a quote, I'm moving 1000 miles,doing the packing myself, a small 1BR apartment, and they quoted me $1895, when I asked about what if it was less than the 3000lbs he estimated, he said, you still pay the same price because if it goes over I still pay the same unless I just did'nt tell him about some giant piano.

How long ago did you pay that price? I realize with gas going up, it makes a difference but I dont see how your 3BR home costs nearly 900 less than my 1BR home going 700 mi less distance????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
The last time I moved with a self-drive (U-Haul, I was 28) I swore that I would never do it again. Finding/buying boxes, Packing, loading, lifting, stuffing, taking down, storing screws, hauling, driving, unloading, unpacking, setting up, lifting... nope. Never again. I didn't move for 20 years.

And I didn't use a self-drive this last time either. This last time I contracted with Allied. They came in with their own tape and their own boxes, packed everything up, loaded everything, drove it all 1700 miles... and kept it until I was ready to have it delivered. Then they not only delivered it, but put everything where I wanted it, and even set up the beds, etc. Cost - $1500 (+ tips, and I tip heavily) for a 3 BR 1000 sq foot home plus ceramics shop, woodworking shop, and garage. And worth every danged penny. Oh, the joy of putting the dogs and suitcases in the car and pickup, and driving as far as we wanted each day, then stopping whenever, not having to worry about returning the truck, finding a gas station with a high overhang, or unloading in a hurry!

Some things are worth paying for. Especially if you have stairs. They broke only two things - two unimportant lamps. All the glass, furniture (some antiques), and all of the ceramic molds (heavy plaster) came through without a scratch.

Call them - or any moving company. They will come out and give you an estimate and you don't have to sign it or agree to it. But you might be surprised at both the savings of time, effort, and back and legs, as well as the cost. No, I don't work for them!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,405,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel74 View Post
HOW on EARTH did you pay such a LOW amount, I talked to allied today and got a quote, I'm moving 1000 miles,doing the packing myself, a small 1BR apartment, and they quoted me $1895, when I asked about what if it was less than the 3000lbs he estimated, he said, you still pay the same price because if it goes over I still pay the same unless I just did'nt tell him about some giant piano.

How long ago did you pay that price? I realize with gas going up, it makes a difference but I dont see how your 3BR home costs nearly 900 less than my 1BR home going 700 mi less distance????
From Tucson to Omaha, Allied moved my 1 BR apartment for about $717. All of the loose items and clothes went with me in my old jeep, they took heavy/fragile things such as furniture, dishes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues