U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,327 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple both 21 looking to move out of Westchester, New York in about a year or two. We've done lots of research already but are still confused as to which areas best suit us and our needs. Our goal within the next few months would be to have it narrowed down to at least 3 options, which we will then visit.

This may be asking for a lot but we are looking for an area that is

- warm to hot, all year round or at least most of the year (humid or dry, doesnt matter)
-my boyfriend will be opening up a tattoo shop. With this in mind we would like to live in, or near a lively city
-family friendly
-preferably costal states

Some options that we have come across are

Scottsdale, AZ
Austin, TX
Summersville, SC
Mobile, AL

We could really use some suggestions, we are pretty stuck at the moment. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 PM

28,494 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole6218 View Post
my boyfriend will be opening up a tattoo shop.
We could really use some suggestions
Beyond everything being stated far too much in "future tense"...
develop some real job skills -both of you-

Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 PM

MrRational I dont think you're really in the position to pass judgment on our "job skills" since if you read above, I never went into anything about our experience or what we both do for a living. All I mentioned is that my boyfriend would like to open up a tattoo shop and because of this, it is important for us to live near or in a lively city.

If anyone else has some advise on LOCATIONS that fit our criteria, please we both would love your opinions?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM

1,856 posts, read 3,005,019 times
atlanta might be the place for you. You would probably make good money in the tatoo business.

I would say 6 mos out of the year its hot and in the summer its brutal

when you coastal do you mean near the ocean?

good luck and hope you make the right decision for you both

Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
atlanta might be the place for you. You would probably make good money in the tatoo business.

I would say 6 mos out of the year its hot and in the summer its brutal

when you coastal do you mean near the ocean?

good luck and hope you make the right decision for you both

I have actually looked into Atlanta but I was a bit skeptical because on many of the forums here and from other sites, I had come across Atlanta's crime rates being very high. I will definitely look more into it though because the weather and artistic culture suits a lot of our needs. Thanks

As for when I say costal, which I guess is a bit too general, I mean I'd prefer an area which is relatively close to the beach, 2 hour drive max. Then again that really isn't priority but more of a luxury for me haha.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:32 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,063,377 times
Savannah, Georgia might be a good fit.

Scottsdale and Austin are way further than 2 hours from the beach. Austin is probably a better fit for your age compared to Scottsdale. Summerville, SC, outside of Charleston is a nice place to raise a family, but the age demographic might bore you a little. Best of luck!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 AM

621 posts, read 2,926,766 times
If he is going to open up a tattoo business, you might want to look at locations close to military bases. Those men love to get tattoos! I know since I'm married to one. We live in Jacksonville, NC and there a literally 10-15 tattoo shops, if not more, and they all seem to do good business. It's right on the coast, but definitely not an exciting place to live. So in the states you mentioned you might want to look and see if there are any bases or posts. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 18 days ago)

8,689 posts, read 10,839,690 times
Phoenix metro--everyone here has a tatoo...or many do. All ages, too. Not that close to the coast (5 hours to San Diego), but you might want to check out the area. Scottsdale might not be right though. The demographic there is not the tatoo type!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,641,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole6218 View Post
We are a young couple both 21 looking to move out of Westchester, New York in about a year or two. We've done lots of research already but are still confused as to which areas best suit us and our needs. Our goal within the next few months would be to have it narrowed down to at least 3 options, which we will then visit.

This may be asking for a lot but we are looking for an area that is

- warm to hot, all year round or at least most of the year (humid or dry, doesnt matter)
-my boyfriend will be opening up a tattoo shop. With this in mind we would like to live in, or near a lively city
-family friendly
-preferably costal states

Some options that we have come across are

Scottsdale, AZ
Austin, TX
Summersville, SC
Mobile, AL

We could really use some suggestions, we are pretty stuck at the moment. Thanks!
Florida for sure. It's coastal, plenty of larger cities and the people of FL LOVE TATS. Seriously. When I lived there, everyone was tatted up. From young to old. I've never lived anywhere were everyone was tatted.

Florida has the warm weather year round and there are communities that are family friendly.

Now to pick which FL side. When I lived there, I was on the ocean side which was the east side of FL. I lived in Melbourne which I really liked. It's in the middle of the state and I could go to either Ft Lauderdale or Jacksonville within 2 hours.

The other side by the Gulf of Mexico, the water is not the ocean and it's very warm. I don't know anything about the western part of the state so someone would have to chime in and tell you.

And since you live in NY, it wouldn't take too much driving time to go home to visit friends and family.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Thank you sooo much everyone! I will definitely consider everyones suggestions. You all brought up such great advice, appreciate it a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues