U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does safety/low crime rate matter to you?
Safety/Low crime matters a lot to me to the point where I would only live in places with good safety and low crime rate 18 54.55%
Safety/low crime matters a lot to me but I could still live in a place with a higher crime rate if it had some things going for it. 9 27.27%
Safety/low crime matters to me but not that much. 2 6.06%
Safety/low crime matters to me only a little bit 2 6.06%
Safety/low crime does not matter to me. 0 0%
Safety/low crime is not something I look for. I actually look for places with less safety and higher crime. 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,781,526 times

Advertisements

I decided to create a poll for this.

After you vote in the poll, you can explain why you feel like that how much safety and low crime matters to you.

These are the poll options:

1. Safety/Low crime matters a lot to me to the point where I would only live in places with low crime rate

2. Safety/low crime matters a lot to me but I could still live in a place with a higher crime rate if it had things going for it and then I would just put up with less safety and higher crime.

3. Safety/low crime matters to me but not that much.

4. Safety/low crime matters to me only a little bit

5. Safety/low crime does not matter to me.

6. Safety/low crime is not something I look for. I actually look for places with less safety and higher crime.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 06-13-2011 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM

1,717 posts, read 2,606,440 times
I live in a low crime neighborhood but still take precautions.....keep gates locked, no shrubs around the windows, outdoor lighting.....stuff like that. Don't believe in guns, don't need Brinks, ADT or dogs........just a pitchfork by the front door I've nicknamed "Pierce", for a potential home invader, hope I never have to use him.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:23 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,956,703 times
I think on the scale of the average person I am absolutely terrified of crime, after all I quite often carry a weapon of some sort, but I have a awful history of leaving doors unlocked and stuff laying around in the open so suppose that I have a high level of awareness for crimes against the person and not crimes against property.

I would also point out that when I choose a neighborhood to live in the last thing I concern myself with is the crime rate because if it is a nice neighborhood (cool architecture, nice shops, restaurants, art galleries etc, the crime rate can't be that bad, or at the very least bit manageable.

So where does that leave me on your Lickert Scale, I don't have a clue.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM

26,633 posts, read 5,624,086 times
Becoming more fearful....just moved to a great city but crime is on the increase in the last few months. Multiple bank/store robberies, robbery/murders, house-break-ins, etc. I am always careful and alert at minimum.

FYI: A young woman was arrested recently for shoplifting....but when they listed the items..well, not what you might think (jewelry, CDs etc).

It was a stick of deodorant, body wash/spray.

That broke my heart.
Not to have enough cash for the most basic of hygiene and feeling a crime is the only way to get it.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM

10,585 posts, read 13,048,996 times
As long as i don't need a Sherman tank to get around i am ok!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,467,722 times
Some of the worst crimes are actually committed in perfect normal nice neighborhoods full of people who didn't see it coming. So, I think personal awareness, safety plans and being careful who you mingle with are probably more important than having a false sense of security based on the area of town you can afford to live in.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,539,921 times
I could live in a much cheaper place...but would be in fear of being robbed, my car broken into, and worse...i will pay the higher rent...thanks.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:49 PM

13,964 posts, read 10,723,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I decided to create a poll for this.

After you vote in the poll, you can explain why you feel like that how much safety and low crime matters to you.

These are the poll options:

1. Safety/Low crime matters a lot to me to the point where I would only live in places with low crime rate

2. Safety/low crime matters a lot to me but I could still live in a place with a higher crime rate if it had things going for it and then I would just put up with less safety and higher crime.

3. Safety/low crime matters to me but not that much.

4. Safety/low crime matters to me only a little bit

5. Safety/low crime does not matter to me.

6. Safety/low crime is not something I look for. I actually look for places with less safety and higher crime.
Perhaps this would be better suited for the "General Moving Issues" forum. This forum is more for discussing current trials and legal issues

Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM

12,411 posts, read 16,402,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Some of the worst crimes are actually committed in perfect normal nice neighborhoods full of people who didn't see it coming. So, I think personal awareness, safety plans and being careful who you mingle with are probably more important than having a false sense of security based on the area of town you can afford to live in.
I agree, but in nice neighborhoods I think crimes tend to be mostly to acquire wealth, not physical assaults. You don't see drive bys and random people being accosted so often.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 AM

12,411 posts, read 16,402,219 times
My husband and I are getting on in years. I am retired, he is semi-retired. We live in a very safe community but it is as boring as watching rocks grow. I used to dream, while working, of a nice relaxing, green, birded place to retire to but now that I am home all the time I crave the city with all the distractions. I also have found out that city people actually are healthier from the standpoint that they walk more and don't have the car to depend on. We will be moving to Manhattan shortly. It is a very safe building in a safe neighborhood but not as safe as this dreary place we are in now.

My husband was on the streets of NY once and a guy robbed him at knifepoint - at least tried to. My husband socked him and the guy took off running, bleeding. The police found him and he was last seen in convict's clothing cleaning debris from the park where he committed his crimes. When the police saw my grey haired husband they asked if he were the Silver Avenger (or something similar). Seems as though some old guy had creds in the karate community and would walk the streets looking fragile and helpless and when he was accosted he would deliver a beating to the would be attacker. Hearing that cheered us up a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues