U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM

38 posts, read 92,131 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation.

I'm a single twenty-something guy who has lived in NC since he was six months old. I grew up in Raleigh, went to school in the mountains, and now I'm working in Charlotte. I have a good, stable job at a CPA firm, most of my family is within 3 hours of me, and so are most of my friends, but... I've always been curious about what life is like somewhere else. While there's nothing inherently wrong with NC or the South in general, like anyone else I find certain things annoying about the area I'm in, and some days it can be a struggle to put up with them. For years I've given more-than-passing thought to living in other places, but never really had a strong reason or particularly good opportunity to do so.

Fast forward to last week. An all-office email went out at my firm that listed transfer opportunities, including a couple for people in my position in our Boston and suburban Chicago offices. While it didn't provide a strong reason leave behind the life I have here, it does provide the opportunity to do so. Between the two, I'd probably rather go to Boston because of the types of clients we serve there, the opportunity to help grow a smaller and less-established office, the proximity to both mountains and beaches, the fact that it's a more compact city, and just plain old liking the city and New England a little better than Chicago and the Midwest.

I'm well aware of the challenges that would face me in moving to a place where I literally don't know anyone and the cost of living is significantly higher. It's something that I've always wanted to do "someday", but now that the opportunity is here, I'm having a harder time answering the question, "why?"

I know it's normal to be tired of the same old thing and want do something different, but it also seems impulsive to just pack up and leave with nothing really pushing me towards it other than the thoughts in my own head. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you arrive at a decision, whether it be to stay or to go? Was it worth it?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid or fickle question. I guess now that it's a real possibility, I'm a little apprehensive and just looking for a few voices of reason to help quell or validate the second thoughts I'm having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,736,330 times
Sounds like a great adventure, one that you'll probably never be in a better position to experience.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM

38 posts, read 92,131 times
You're right about that, it's definitely something that I'd be excited about. You're also right about being in a good position to do so.

I should add that, while I have ties to the NC area, there's nothing keeping me in Charlotte itself. I'm not really afraid to go somewhere else, it's just that I'm just grappling with not having any concrete reasons to do so. Maybe I just need to get out of my own head, haha.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM

290 posts, read 564,176 times
Go for it...it's a learning experience!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,979,672 times
Take it! Many people would love to have an opportunity to transfer with an established job.

Other people must save up money, quit their job, move to a new city, burn through savings while looking for work, and struggle.

You are able to skip all of that, and move with the company. I would take it.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,635,341 times
Smile Starting out

When my husband had graduated, he went to work for a large firm and was an accountant for them. He was given all the out of town travel - he was single, available and nothing tied him down.

Looking back, there were times it was lonely b/c some of these places were remote - he is so glad he had the experience.

He is a native Floridian and had not really been far away. Once he got married and had a family, it was harder for him to travel as much (he didn't really want to) and he ended up self employed.

Go for it. Boston is a young, vibrant city - you will love it!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,090,605 times
GO! Life is short. You have a good reason, you want to something new.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 PM

113 posts, read 159,539 times
If you go can I have your job if you leave?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 AM

67 posts, read 129,600 times
I'm in the process of doing it now. My house went on the market 2 days ago, and as soon as it sells, I'm leaving the midwest (Michigan) and headed off to of all places, the mountains in Western North Carolina! And, no other reason other than 'just because'. I don't know a soul there, but I love it, I work out of my house, so I already have a job, and there is nothing keeping me in Michigan anymore. I look at it as a new and exciting adventure to a place I've research and wanted to be for several years now. Follow your heart.....I am!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM

32,304 posts, read 59,460,753 times
You're young and single. You already have the job opportunity. You may not get the chance again to transfer, or if you do, you might not be so so mobile or adventurous.

Do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues