U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 AM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,608,692 times
Reputation: 2763

Advertisements

I need to leave this state and do not know where to go. My first choice would be one of the hardest hit parts of the country (CA) and my second is Oregon (which has always had high unemployment). I'll be moving without a job.

All of the states with the lowest unemployment rates are of no interest to me or I have no connections to. I even thought Omaha even though it made me burst into tears.

So do I go where I want to go and take a chance or do I go to a state where I think I'll have a better shot at a job and be miserable? Neither seem like a good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Reputation: 10948
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I need to leave this state and do not know where to go. My first choice would be one of the hardest hit parts of the country (CA) and my second is Oregon (which has always had high unemployment). I'll be moving without a job.

All of the states with the lowest unemployment rates are of no interest to me or I have no connections to. I even thought Omaha even though it made me burst into tears.

So do I go where I want to go and take a chance or do I go to a state where I think I'll have a better shot at a job and be miserable? Neither seem like a good choice.
No, I wouldn't. Mostly because my jobs of choice have generally been pretty easy to come by...till I reached "a certain age" anyway. And even then it just meant taking a tad longer to find something.

Every move I've ever made has been "without a job" to go to. But I planned ahead just for that circumstance and generally did okay. I might not have started out with what I actually wanted to do..or where I wanted to work...but, somehow, it always worked out. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 AM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,608,692 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
No, I wouldn't. Mostly because my jobs of choice have generally been pretty easy to come by...till I reached "a certain age" anyway. And even then it just meant taking a tad longer to find something.

Every move I've ever made has been "without a job" to go to. But I planned ahead just for that circumstance and generally did okay. I might not have started out with what I actually wanted to do..or where I wanted to work...but, somehow, it always worked out. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
Thanks, I am of a "certain age" which makes it really scary. However, I'm leaving nothing behind at all. I have no connections in this place after YEARS and a sociopath moving in next door. No doubt I'll look back at this as a "blessing in disguise" but it sure feels like hell right now. Yes, it's that bad.

I just wish I knew where I was going to and I wish I didn't have a house to sell. I've got three pets which complicates things a bit in terms of even landing on the other end, wherever that other end might be. I'm doing this alone and have no one on the other end once I get there. All I know is I cannot stay here anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 AM
 
7,495 posts, read 9,752,153 times
Reputation: 7394
Not just for that reason no way, unless I was desperate enough. Actually there are some parts of the midwest (Nebraska, the Dakotas, etc.) that are supposed to have plentiful jobs and a low cost of living, and I would actually move there if the weather didn't stink lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 PM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,288 posts, read 13,488,389 times
Reputation: 11576
Depends if you need a job. I usually follow work, but there are some places that I would probably not go. Mostly, a house is just a place to hang your hat. You can get nice furniture and a nice house anywhere. The rest is pretty much up to the person to work out.

No offense, but if you presume that a city is responsible for your personal problems, you may have a rotten surprise when you find the same problems waiting for you on the doorstep of your new house, in your new city. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Upper Midwest
1,877 posts, read 3,722,061 times
Reputation: 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I even thought Omaha even though it made me burst into tears.
Awwww. lol

By all means, don't go to a place that makes you burst into tears just thinking about it. You sound very at your wit's end, desperate, and just longing to make things better... and willing to take some drastic measures to do so.

But, you're sort of letting life control YOU.

I wouldn't look at unemployment rates as much as what states offer good jobs in your field. And then from there, narrow it down to which states appeal to you. You said you like California and Oregon... do any parts of those states offer good work in your field? Obviously a theater professional is going to go to look to settle in a place like New York City... not Podunk, Illinois.

In my honest opinion, you're in such a low, desperate frame of mind (sorry about that ), you may very well have a hard time finding employment in even places with low unemployment. An employer is going to go with the relaxed, optimistic, ready-to-work and excited go-getter over the desperate "please hire me" person. You have to change your thinking. See the cup as half-full. Change your vibration. Get excited about your move. View it as an adventure that's going to improve your life. Look at places that get you excited. Focus on the places that get you pumped and motivated when you think about them. Regardless of whatever their employement rates are at the moment, you'll obviously do better in a place like that over a place you're not at all excited about. I'd say you can cross off Omaha. lol

Going a bit into my own story again, I am originally from Wisconsin and moved to Montana at age 14. I never really "meshed" with Montana. Admittedly, at first, I didn't even try. I was resentful to be there, hated it, and said that the minute I turned 18 I was leaving to go back to Wisconsin... and that's exactly what I did. BUT... I was far too immature, botched the move and ended up back at my mom's with my tail between my legs about 18 months later.

I decided to adopt a "home is what you make it" mentality, kind of got exhausted about the idea of moving again (my pride was bruised), and just tried to settle in Montana and just not think about it. I built somewhat of a life over the next few years... hehe. Actually got into an apartment building I really enjoyed. Then that went to hell. Got some rowdy, shady neighbors coming in....the place just went downhill. Became real trailer trash type place. I began to look into moving into another apartment building in town, and even entertained the idea of moving to a different city within Montana.

The idea of moving and changing sort of appealed to me... but I wasn't feeling quite right about the move. I just sort of had a hesitant, tired "Ehhh" feeling about it. And then, after a while, it dawned on me... "Why not try to get back to Wisconsin again?" It was always in the back of my mind that I'd get myself back there "SOMEDAY".... I never really had any doubt about that, but I wasn't doing anything to actively get myself back there.

That is when I got excited. And wow. Things snowballed and happened relatively fast after that. Oh it took over a year, but I made it back.

Go with what excites you, and things will happen fast. Go with what you're not thrilled about, and it'll be like trying to roll down a sticking car window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,608,692 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Depends if you need a job. I usually follow work, but there are some places that I would probably not go. Mostly, a house is just a place to hang your hat. You can get nice furniture and a nice house anywhere. The rest is pretty much up to the person to work out.

No offense, but if you presume that a city is responsible for your personal problems, you may have a rotten surprise when you find the same problems waiting for you on the doorstep of your new house, in your new city. Just saying.
That applies in some cases, but not this case. I was doing well and pretty happy in my last city until I moved to this city and it's been downhill ever since. Where one lives DOES matter. For one thing, I am sick of the politics and conservatism of this state. CA was a whole other story (and I spent 13 years there and never experienced anything approximating the misery I've endured here). BTW, we both live in the same city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM
 
5,546 posts, read 8,608,692 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
Awwww. lol

By all means, don't go to a place that makes you burst into tears just thinking about it. You sound very at your wit's end, desperate, and just longing to make things better... and willing to take some drastic measures to do so.

But, you're sort of letting life control YOU.

I wouldn't look at unemployment rates as much as what states offer good jobs in your field. And then from there, narrow it down to which states appeal to you. You said you like California and Oregon... do any parts of those states offer good work in your field? Obviously a theater professional is going to go to look to settle in a place like New York City... not Podunk, Illinois.

In my honest opinion, you're in such a low, desperate frame of mind (sorry about that ), you may very well have a hard time finding employment in even places with low unemployment. An employer is going to go with the relaxed, optimistic, ready-to-work and excited go-getter over the desperate "please hire me" person. You have to change your thinking. See the cup as half-full. Change your vibration. Get excited about your move. View it as an adventure that's going to improve your life. Look at places that get you excited. Focus on the places that get you pumped and motivated when you think about them. Regardless of whatever their employement rates are at the moment, you'll obviously do better in a place like that over a place you're not at all excited about. I'd say you can cross off Omaha. lol

Going a bit into my own story again, I am originally from Wisconsin and moved to Montana at age 14. I never really "meshed" with Montana. Admittedly, at first, I didn't even try. I was resentful to be there, hated it, and said that the minute I turned 18 I was leaving to go back to Wisconsin... and that's exactly what I did. BUT... I was far too immature, botched the move and ended up back at my mom's with my tail between my legs about 18 months later.

I decided to adopt a "home is what you make it" mentality, kind of got exhausted about the idea of moving again (my pride was bruised), and just tried to settle in Montana and just not think about it. I built somewhat of a life over the next few years... hehe. Actually got into an apartment building I really enjoyed. Then that went to hell. Got some rowdy, shady neighbors coming in....the place just went downhill. Became real trailer trash type place. I began to look into moving into another apartment building in town, and even entertained the idea of moving to a different city within Montana.

The idea of moving and changing sort of appealed to me... but I wasn't feeling quite right about the move. I just sort of had a hesitant, tired "Ehhh" feeling about it. And then, after a while, it dawned on me... "Why not try to get back to Wisconsin again?" It was always in the back of my mind that I'd get myself back there "SOMEDAY".... I never really had any doubt about that, but I wasn't doing anything to actively get myself back there.

That is when I got excited. And wow. Things snowballed and happened relatively fast after that. Oh it took over a year, but I made it back.

Go with what excites you, and things will happen fast. Go with what you're not thrilled about, and it'll be like trying to roll down a sticking car window.
Thanks for your post and sharing your story. I used to be in banking and then thought I'd switch careers into social services (not such a smart idea) and so right now I have no line of work. I have an outdated MBA and no degree in social services, so going back for an MA is always an option.

I guess I could throw a dart at a map and just go there, for all the difference my experience might make right now. I still may just go back to CA and see about getting another master's there as there are more choices to be had. Oregon, while appealing, only really is appealing to me on the coast or perhaps Ashland-Medford area and no jobs most likely in either one of those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Kountze, Texas
1,013 posts, read 1,158,327 times
Reputation: 1267
Good Luck mistygr092!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Reputation: 32136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
...or do I go to a state where I think I'll have a better shot at a job...
unless you're independently wealthy where you're more likely to find work needs to count for a lot.
if you want to be miserable... you can do that anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top