U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:25 AM

36 posts, read 114,840 times

Advertisements

Hi All---I am really enjoying all these wonderful responses. I LOVE hearing from different people!

Yeah, these Florida summers can be rather difficult to contend with. A lot of people from up North like to move down here, but they often underestimate the long summers here, like Daniella says: 7 months+ of outright heat. The heat and humidity here can zap the snot out of a body! While most people are pretty much stuck inside during a northern winter, I'm stuck inside during a Florida summer--- and I LIKE being outdoors. I think we much prefer a northern winter rather than a Florida summer. (and YES, we have been through serious winters in the past---Colorado and Germany---no one does cold like Europe!) The gorgeous Florida beaches you say? Well, the Gulf water is lovely---but it can be like bathtub water in the dead heat of summer here. Personally, I calls it a 'hurricane mixer'. People are often surprised too at the bugs that come along with life in a tropical region; lots and lots of mosquitoes and some very large bugs that I don't care to get up close and personal with even after so many years of living here. I slammed on the brakes today for what I thought was a bird---but it was a grasshopper. Yes folks, they're that big. (Texas isn't the only one that does everything big.)

We're uh, we're still not sure what to do about the house and that will be something for us to tackle. However; deal with it we must. It's not a good situation: it's not worth at all what we're paying for it---I'd swear the value plummeted just as soon as we signed our lives away, so it may be a good thing in disguise. Still, we're definitely not alone in that boat! As far as his job, well, he really wants a change. (currently working for local police dept.) We may indeed end up taking a leap of faith; I think it will probably come down to that---I think I've got a couple more of those in me somewhere.

Yes, 19 years does go by FAST---and it's only going FASTER the older I get! Curses!

"Some1Azn"---a blown knee just sounds PAINFUL and I TRULY hope that you get that fixed---you're much too young to deal with that. (Couldn't resist squeezing in the 'adult talk' on ya'---just because.)

Peace All,
the DragonLady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,556,259 times
If your husband wants to change careers has he thought of what and where maybe the best opportunity for that would be? I would also look at cost of living in the new place. Where I moved to in FL not only do I hate it but it is expensive and I don't even get as much for the expense.
So with you on the bug issue and other creatures. Ick

Old 06-30-2011, 05:29 AM

30 posts, read 82,450 times
Sorry, it took me so long to chime in. I haven't been on in a while, as I am packing my house on Cape Cod, MA to move to Florida. I'm sorry you got stuck in a place that you don't like. My husband and I have been actively taking about the move for 10 years, though we only sold our house 2 years ago. When you say Massachusetts is on your list, be advised that it is very expensive to live here, never mind that it's almost impossible to find a job with benefits, and if you don't have health insurance, the state will fine you on your taxes. Yes, that is the fabulous health insurance plan Mass has. They are forcing everyone to have health insurance, whether you can afford it or not. My husband owns his own small business so we make to much $ for state assistance, (in their minds), it costs us $1,600 for a decent health insurance and it doesn't even cover a cleaning at the dentist once a year for my boys, which just cost me $276 for my two boys (well that did include flouride). Average rent for a three bedrm. home is $1,500. Never mind all of the other costs of living. I know that it is bad everywhere, and I'm not expecting Florida to answer my problems, I guess what I'm trying to get at is, in these times, you might as well be living in an area that's going to help sooth your soul, because life is tough enough. We've done our homework and Florida is it for us! Find an area that fits most of your criteria, and don't waste any more of your time, it's obvious that your life is passing you by, why wait! Good Luck to you!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some1Azn View Post
I can kind of relate to your situation, but obviously everything. I'm still young so don't go "adult talk" on me folks(20 years young ). Lived in Massachusetts for 15 years until my parents decided to move to FL. Apparently the folks didn't like the winter after living there for nearly 25 years.

I figured it would be a fresh start to life as I'd be a freshman in HS when we moved here. Being the curious kid at the time, I planned on doing things in school like basketball or band or even culinary. But then 3 months into my first year at HS, I blew my knee out and every chance of doing something fun in HS for the rest of my time there failed. My parents didn't necessarily have a lot of money and it also took them a while to get good health insurance, 6 years to be exact.
During that span(2005-2011), I've just been patiently waiting to get healed and move on with my awesome young life. You could say that I'm like a Pokemon in the game that wants to evolve, but somebody just keeps hitting "B" to cancel it.
Fixing this knee will finally help me to be able to evolve.

p.s. Massachusetts is amazing, especially during the Fall.
I'm sorry, about your knee, and your dreams! But can I ask why you would let a bad knee stop you from living. It sounds to me like you are placing alot of blame on your parents. For moving you and for not having alot of money. I hope my boys don't blame me if their life gets tough, because I am moving them (ages 9 & 15) to Florida, from Mass. One big reason is that is is very expensive to live up here, and yes we too hate the weather here. But we are thinking of their future as well as ours. The kids I work with up here, can't afford the insurance on their cars (if they can afford a car), never mind rent on an apartment. My dream for my boys is that they are motivated enough in life to do whatever they want and be successful, and I will do whatever I can for them to help. I wish the same for you. Stop using your bum knee as an excuse for a lack of motivation.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:03 AM

19,630 posts, read 18,699,644 times
The only things bad about Massachusetts are the HIGH cost of living and the long, dark, cold winters. Other than that it's great!

We have several levels of health insurance that you can buy into. Everyone has to have insurance but it's not free unless you are really poverty stricken.

A one bedroom apartment is at least $1500/month -- more in a place like Boston. Everything is expensive.

There are jobs but they are either low paying or they are for the very highly specialized and well educated professional in the health care research areas. Of course, you get the doctors and lawyers too but someone like a teacher can hardly afford to live here. Young people move OUT so that they can afford to live.

I think the median house price is $320,000 throughout the state but prices go much higher than that. You can find a small house for around $200,000 though. I'm talking about houses in decent areas--you can probably get an apartment in a dirty, unsafe ghetto area for $800-$900 but who would want to live there?

It's a nice state but hard to afford.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 AM

1,817 posts, read 5,945,986 times
Op, you have the computer at your fingers to research places to live, the job market, so now start making your dream a reality. Go through your things and have a yard sale this summer, weed out things and get ready for a simpler move when the time comes. Get that nest egg built up so you'll be ready to move. Just start planning for it, get excited about it and when the ducks are in a row, do it.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 AM

247 posts, read 222,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal from the cape View Post
I'm sorry, about your knee, and your dreams! But can I ask why you would let a bad knee stop you from living. It sounds to me like you are placing alot of blame on your parents. For moving you and for not having alot of money. I hope my boys don't blame me if their life gets tough, because I am moving them (ages 9 & 15) to Florida, from Mass. One big reason is that is is very expensive to live up here, and yes we too hate the weather here. But we are thinking of their future as well as ours. The kids I work with up here, can't afford the insurance on their cars (if they can afford a car), never mind rent on an apartment. My dream for my boys is that they are motivated enough in life to do whatever they want and be successful, and I will do whatever I can for them to help. I wish the same for you. Stop using your bum knee as an excuse for a lack of motivation.

It's not that I blame them. I mean they're my parents and they do have to take care of their children, am I wrong?
Everybody in the world is having money problems also, keep that in mind and it's understandable. Wouldn't you be a little ticked if your child blew their knee the first year of HS? I mean, I'm not moping around, I have tried playing every sport imaginable with a brace on even though the folks advise me that I shouldn't. I figured if I can make my knees stronger, the operation will be quicker. ^___^

Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
Florida living is one of those things that you either love or hate. Just know that there are many different sides to Florida. I.E., Gulf Coast (Tampa, Ft Myers) is a very different experience from southeast coast (Ft Lauderdale, Miami) and the interior (all areas except Orlando) is completely different all together from all of them.

As far as packing up and moving - I say go for it! Our family traveled extensively for many years and never let a little thing like a bad economy keep us down. Best advise I can give is to go with a plan, as much money as possible and with as few tangible items as practical. If you have car loans, sell the cars or trade them in for something you own outright, credit card debt? Pay it off first! Research where you want to end up extensively and the industries that are prevalent there. (Northwest makes me think of lumber and fishing but I'm sure that there are a lot of other industries I'm not thinking of right now). Don't just say "I want to move to Oregon", I strongly suggest you narrow it down more than that to at least a 150 mile target if not a specific town or city. Looking into everything from tax rates and housing costs to the price of gas and groceries. Have a short term and a long term plan with a budget in place and also an alternate "bail out" plan. I.E. What will you do if you move there and CAN'T make a living after "x" number of months? Will you go homeless when the money runs out? Trust me - have a bail out plan just in case. If you hate Florida - I definately agree its time to move. Just do it with planning rather than haste!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some1Azn View Post
It's not that I blame them. I mean they're my parents and they do have to take care of their children, am I wrong?
Everybody in the world is having money problems also, keep that in mind and it's understandable. Wouldn't you be a little ticked if your child blew their knee the first year of HS? I mean, I'm not moping around, I have tried playing every sport imaginable with a brace on even though the folks advise me that I shouldn't. I figured if I can make my knees stronger, the operation will be quicker. ^___^
I'm glad to hear that you don't blame them, and yes, parents "should" take care of their children, so I'm also glad to hear that you are well loved, most of us just try to do our best by our children. And money problems stink. They say that money can't buy you happiness, but a little would sure ease some of the pain. This past year, my son got a concussion playing freshman football, the first month in, that ended the season for him, though it's not as bad as your injury, I do have some understanding. It stunk for him, but he moved on. Maybe you should try the culinary courses you mentioned. Also you should do some research on the knee, I don't claim to be an expert, but I do know that you will do further damage to your knee, not make it stronger, if you don't give it time to heal. Good Luck with everything!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 PM

36 posts, read 114,840 times
Cool Great Fun.

Hi All,

It's great fun for me to come in here and read everybody's posts and I sincerely appreciate everybody taking the time to post!

We are indeed getting rid of things---taking a lot of stuff to Goodwill. I've also made lists of what we will take and what we will leave; so when the opportunity presents itself, I'll just whip that bad boy out and tack it on the fridge! I have a box of things we are stockpiling like toilet paper, shampoos, soap, band aids, etc. We have no credit card debt to worry about; we do have a car payment---so that's something. As far as narrowing down the city in Oregon---it's the Portland area, but again; Oregon is not set in stone yet. It's just been a personal fave of mine and I think it suits us best. Cost comparisons indicate that it would not be much different from here.

Still considering Massachusetts too for other reasons---but it is SO expensive there. I asked in another thread as to the why of it and I got a lot of different answers. I confess that I was curious about the healthcare thing up there and I'm not liking what I hear about it. I like the idea of universal coverage, but the actual practice of it up there seems to be rather 'bumpy'. I also believe that I am 'uninsurable' due to a serious muscle disease back in 1999-2004 which is why we really won't give our coverage up unless there is no other choice---like if he loses his job. It is a reality I suppose we all must be concerned about nowadays. In all honesty; how does that system work up there? If you get sick with something big, or if you're older with high blood pressure or heart issues, it seems that you must have to forever pay through the roof for that mandated insurance. Where's the protection for people? All that being said, according to Forbes; Florida ranks in the top ten for being one of the worst places for healthcare coverage but I can't remember why at this juncture. For me, I suppose if push comes to a shove, I can apply with the VA as I am a vet---no guarantees with that though, but my husband is in that system. Of course, with all the budget cuts going on, I often wonder how the VA will survive another round!

I reiterate again however; we are not going to do anything drastic till we get it all figured out and try to cover ourselves as much as possible. I'm not planning on plunging us all into something, but I sure would like to take advantage of any opportunity to get us out of here. And I love hearing from people all across the states. I'm not sure where else just yet as far as other places to live---still doing all my cost comparisons and such. I am having great fun with the research and stuff. With the internet, it's like having the entire world at your fingertips!

I know there are some people in here planning on moving to Florida, so I'll make a few comments. Florida is perfectly suitable for people who like the heat and can tolerate it okay and it does take some adjustment---so does the mosquitoe (there are LOTS of them.) and love bug thing. Most of the beaches are lovely and there are some gorgeous sunsets---and there's plenty of access. No one does up strawberries like Florida---we have a whole festival for it. Personally, I don't find a whole lot of difference between the major metropolitan areas weatherwise. Orlando IS quite different from Tampa in that it seems to be more highly geared toward the tourism thing---and, it's quite expensive of course. I'm not a big fan of Miami, but St. Petersburg and Clearwater are nice along the beaches. Tarpon Springs is a fun place and we've enjoyed Naples too. It goes without saying that all these places have their problem areas. We live here and we can't afford the parks like Disney World, Sea World or Busch Gardens with the average price of a ticket being $80.00+ per person. That would be close to $500.00 dollars for one day---not including food or parking. (If people had any idea just how much of their day at Disney is spent waiting in line, they would be highly irked!)

I have to say; I really don't get how so many people can't afford to live in and enjoy the states they live and pay taxes in!

Peace All---and thanks again for all the posts; keep 'em coming if you like.
the DragonLady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues