U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 17,934 times

Advertisements

I have seen something awhile back, using 2x6's and plywood for shelving and brace walls in a penske truck..

Has anyone ever used something this creative? i'd like to use something shevling wise so i dont cruch the lower boxes on the ground. and make some sort of bulkhead wall so boxes and Misc things doesnt go flying around inside the truck.

Any ideas or storys would be great!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 PM

521 posts, read 3,939,998 times
You're over thinking the problem. Most professional movers don't install their decking unless they need to construct a temporary platform above bulky items such as motor vehicles, expensive grand or concert-grand pianos, or intricate objects d'art in which tight, dense tier construction would affect safe transport.

Use reliable packing containers and material, load tightly placing heavy items on the bottom and light one's on top. If the contents of your home don't fill the truck, stagger the load so that there is no back and forth or side to side movement on the floor. Secure everything above with straps or rope.

You're adding unnecessary expense to your relocation costs. The use of shelves might actually be unsafe depending on the household goods item characteristics of your load.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:39 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,652,720 times
Not only that, but I doubt Penske would be too happy with your altering their trucks. You could create damage you'll have to pay for when you turn the truck in.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 17,934 times
I was thinking of maximizing all space in the truck.. The truck will be full without a doubt.., I have cargo netting , straps , and rope all ready to go. inside the penske trucks, they have the wooden tie down rails. I had seen a buddy use 2x6's laying across them as a deck, then using the vertical rails in the truck to keep them in place, so theres no truck altering.

It seems i have more fragile stuff then i ever seen before...lol (In Boxes)..so the thought of having 6-7 other fragile boxes on top of them is out of the question, this is where the decking idea came to mind. I plan on doing a pre stack in my living room, and see where I'm at. I was curious to the thoughts of the idea and to see if anyone has ever improvised with something

Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 PM

521 posts, read 3,939,998 times
From a professional movers standpoint, spending more time on properly wrapping and packing the items being transported using good, reliable, packing material and supplies and then loading them securely is far more efficient and safe than building an artificial deck.

Movers pack their trucks at an average density rate of 6.5 - 7.0 lbs per cubic foot. Inexperienced DIY consumers usually achieve an average of about 4.5 - 5.0 lbs per cubic foot. Using decking will result in something less. The more room that stuff has to move around in inside the truck, the more it will.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM

16,436 posts, read 16,534,546 times
I have moved a lot.......mainly put most of my stuff into plastic tubs........have never had a problem. If it is something really fragile or heavy I strap it down with rope.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 8,202 times
What type of tie down do i use in a penske truck going from 1 rail to the other side of the truck with wooden rails

Old 05-21-2015, 05:54 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,007,041 times
I agree with what's been written. Pack high and tight. Don't worry about decking, unless there's something special that you need to protect.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 8,202 times
Thank you all for the help i now know what to use
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues