Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

I would move there, as a base, see how it goes for a month, with the plan that if it is not working to find another place. I lived with six men and women (airline base flop pad) we were all coming and going, we were hardly ever there at the same time. No one played around, we knew it would mess up the system. Every one had chores to do, no omne expected the women to "clean", it worked out okay for the three years I was based in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:39 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
I've lived with guys before and had no problems. Frankly I think it's easier to live with men than women, less issues, less drama. If they're sloppy everyone can chip in for a housekeeper, if you're all working a lot then it may be nice to have someone else vacuum.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Will you be committed for a year? How big is the rental?
To me the bigger issue is that there are 2 roommates. That may mean twice the problem meaning noise,finance,mess.
I have never had a roommate but have always wondered if one person does not pay their portion what happens? If you are liabale then I would also look at if they have a secure job.
Can you talk to the guy you don't know on the phone to see if you get a feeling?
Good luck with your choice

Old 07-10-2011, 07:10 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Ha, as a maletard....I would not have a roomate unless you put a gun to my head...........sharing a place is not in my blood.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowitskristin View Post
Have you moved in with roommates of the opposite sex before?

This may me happening soon...one of which would be a friend (not a super close friend, but a friend nonetheless), the other I don't know. This would be happening in a different state that I am currently living in. Just wondering how your experience was, if you liked it, or just any thoughts in general? Thanks!
It will not work out. There is a very high probability of mutual hatred developing. You may find yourself outnumbered in every little grievance - which will be endlessly annoying, you may find yourself having sex with one of them - in which case the other will probably become a problem and the relationship dynamics will destabilize between the three of you, you will see something that scares you or really sketches you out or any of endless variables in between.

I've seen this sort of arrangement on a number of occassions. All turned out badly except for one. Two of the three got married, have a kid and another on the way - but the friendship between the two males ended poorly and animosity still exists between them years later.

I think that a non-amorous male and female can live together in civility and peace, as can two females and a man, but there is something about two dudes and a woman that just doesn't work.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Only do this if you make sure you won't sleep with one or both. That is bad news.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM

138 posts, read 269,696 times
I have done that in my younger years and had no problems at all. I always liked having male roomies, I will admit it, us ladies can be hard on each other, men are much easier to get along with, unless you have a wonderful best girlfriend to rent with. I say go for it!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 AM

113 posts, read 449,952 times
can you talk to this friend of a friend? friend him on fbook, chat with him on skype, call him on the phone? he's the wild card in this scenario. you should get some kind of reading on him if possible. it is very normal to do this when one's considering moving in with someone they don't know well.

personally, i would not consider moving in with a man i did not know and trust because so much could go wrong. people are right to point out that his friendship with your other male friend could complicate things further. but this could all work out too, you never know- but i'd really try to make contact with this guy you don't know before making a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues