U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,204,585 times

Advertisements

Need to do a one-time, one-way possible move to Washington State from southern California. This is quoted by Google as being a 20-hour drive. Accounting for traffic that means logically I should be able to get it done in a day and a half, maybe two days.

Unfortunately, every truck company wants to force charge me a minimum of 6 days. I have no idea why, unless they're just used to people who drive for 5 hours and lounge around the rest of the time. I would much rather just continuously drive and stop every so often, but even if I were to take certain types of rests, 2 days is the most I can logically see the drive taking.

So...are there any truck companies that will charge you based on ACTUAL time used and not just some arbitrary # of days that inflates the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,225,081 times
I have family members who made that exact move last summer - San Diego to Seattle - and you're right when driving a car on that route, they do it in two days, easily.

But when they were driving the moving trucks? It took three days. Driving a big truck is exhausting in a totally different way than driving a car, and it was tough to do even over three days. Then add in a day to load the truck, and part of a day to unload, and you're at five days.

Maybe you can do it in a lot less time, and if so I hope you can find a company that will rent you the truck for less days! But in my opinion, the truck companies are just being realistic when they expect it to take six days.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 AM

808 posts, read 2,901,926 times
The companies are also factoring in load and unload time. Be sure to have everything packed before the truck is on your driveway. You don't want to be packing then loading (a very big time waster). You want to load the truck then hit the road the next morning.

Unloading is very easy!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 AM

521 posts, read 3,929,420 times
This is about supply and and demand and inventory control.

Normally it would take a professional driver two days to make the 1200 mile trip. Allowing a day to load and unload takes the time up to four days. Since there at least three significant elevation changes, the trip could take longer for inexperienced motorist driving a loaded rental truck so add another day.

Check out this complaint from a reader who wasn't able to pick up her truck promised and you can start to realized why rental companies are building this "additional time in the truck" into their rates.

Have you ever been told your confirmed rental truck may or MAY NOT be available on the day of your scheduled move?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
The companies are also factoring in load and unload time. Be sure to have everything packed before the truck is on your driveway. You don't want to be packing then loading (a very big time waster). You want to load the truck then hit the road the next morning.

Unloading is very easy!
Here's the deal. I'm dropping my couch and mattresses because I planned to replace them both anyway. So rather than move them I'm just going to donate them or give them away. The couch is fine for some kid fresh out of college or something and the mattress...well...it's in good shape, but I have a thing about selling a used mattress.

Without those two massive items, and given I have no appliances, the largest item I'd be moving is my treadmill. The rest of the stuff is enough to fill one bedroom; Loading this stuff up would be logically done in 3 hours max. Unloading would be an hour or two because I would just dump the stuff in the garage and worry about unpacking after I've returned the truck, because I wouldn't have time to do it immediately anyway.

If the drive estimate is 20 hours, and I allow 5 extra hours for traffic and other stalls, assume 5 hours total load/unload, that's 30 hours in. That leaves 18 hours of extra time for the unknown/unforeseen. For me 2 days is pushing it. Logically I could get it done in a day and a half, but I'm allowing for the unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
This is about supply and and demand and inventory control.

Normally it would take a professional driver two days to make the 1200 mile trip. Allowing a day to load and unload takes the time up to four days. Since there at least three significant elevation changes, the trip could take longer for inexperienced motorist driving a loaded rental truck so add another day.

Check out this complaint from a reader who wasn't able to pick up her truck promised and you can start to realized why rental companies are building this "additional time in the truck" into their rates.

Have you ever been told your confirmed rental truck may or MAY NOT be available on the day of your scheduled move?
A professional driver takes two days because they're not continuously driving. I would be. There'd be no value in driving for 8 hours, wasting 8 more, etc. I'd rather just keep on driving until I get sleepy - which likely won't happen until at least 18 hours - and at that point I'm in Washington anyway. Assuming I drop the truck off in Seattle, it's perfectly doable. We're not talking multiple trips, it's a one-way trip with drop off at the destination. Also, I would not have a drop-dead day as to when I would be required to go. I would allow sufficient lead time to allow settle in time.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM

521 posts, read 3,929,420 times
revelated, I doubt you have to convince anyone in these forums about the viability of your travel plans.

I used to make the trip from San Diego to Seattle in a day and half. Once, though, it took me (and everyone else stuck there) 21 hours just to get over the Grapevine at Tejon Pass. Another time I spent two days holed up at the base of Mt. Shasta.

Your challenge is going to be to convince the owners and shareholders of the companies that hold the rental agreements. If you don't like their terms, you'll have to keep searching for alternatives that allow quicker transit times.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
revelated, I doubt you have to convince anyone in these forums about the viability of your travel plans.

I used to make the trip from San Diego to Seattle in a day and half. Once, though, it took me (and everyone else stuck there) 21 hours just to get over the Grapevine at Tejon Pass. Another time I spent two days holed up at the base of Mt. Shasta.

Your challenge is going to be to convince the owners and shareholders of the companies that hold the rental agreements. If you don't like their terms, you'll have to keep searching for alternatives that allow quicker transit times.
Well, at the very least I don't like an arbitrary # of days slapped onto me. If nothing else I expect that I can allot whatever days I feel it would take, if it takes longer bill me for the overage. Even if I took 3 days that would end up cheaper than paying for 6 days only to use 2.

I would love to use professional movers but that's nearly twice the price of doing it myself. It's REALLY hard to justify that for what amounts to a studio's worth of stuff.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 AM

I have decided to consider going the UPS route. Pack it myself, box it myself, let UPS pick it up and hold it up there, then I'll have them deliver it when I am settled in. It's going to be tricky, but I think I can pull it off if I use UPS ground to add a little lag time, that way I'm not charged a storage fee. The trick will be to lock in a place up there while I'm down here. If I go to a property managed by my current place I can do a straight transfer, but the rents are twice as high.

So yeah, I've got work to do. But I have a little time to figure stuff out.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 PM

171 posts, read 368,766 times
**Deleted** Sorry for digging up a month-old thread.

Last edited by Dr_Pepper; 08-13-2011 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Misread question. Thought you were going with a cross-country mover and not just hiring a truck.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times
I did UPS, and was fine with everything, except for the random "adjustment" charge of an extra $100 that they put on my CC a week after my move. It was cheaper than I expected. And worked out pretty well for me. The best thing, was that I already had an apartment set up in my new place, and my landlord let UPS in with all the boxes.

Really, this was the easiest move ever, UPS picked up the boxes, and delivered them. But, the boxes had spiders all over them...just something to let you know, I unpacked my stuff in record time, and got the boxes out...must be spider time, in the trucks or something. The boxes get beat up pretty bad, so pack them well, use lots of tape. I put my clothes in the space bags. I used U-Haul Large boxes, and interestingly enough, they came in 4 different days, so keep the UPS paperwork to be able to track your boxes, and know which ones are still in transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or