U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 PM

327 posts, read 499,926 times

Advertisements

I'm a single parent hoping to move next year out of my current state, to a state where I have no family. I do have friends, and a couple of them I've known for over 20 years. So I guess they'd be considered family. My family out here can't get along for nothing and everyone is breaking apart and pointing fingers at others for crap that happened in the past between them. I'm a VERY family oriented person and it hurts to see what they're doing to each other. Some have called me stupid for wanting to move and have told me I'll fail. I've lived around the area where I'm planning on moving to, in the past..

So I'm wondering if there are any single parents here that have moved out of state and it all worked out? Did your family think it was a stupid idea as well?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 PM

138 posts, read 222,065 times
I think it would be a hard move if you knew no one, but you have friends there so I say go for it, new beginngs could be a wonderful thing. And there is no failing, but there is always new experiences and how could you fail? If you like it you like it, if you dont you dont.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Thanks! I've been telling them that if it works out, then it works out. If it doesn't, then it's a learning experience.

And here they used to always say "well how do you know unless you try"..... Try telling them what they used to say all the time, now. lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,715,710 times
That's a tough call. What a bunch of supportive family members you've got! I think if you have a good job lined up and did your research about where you're moving I'd say go for it. Let the naysayers stew in their own juice.

My mom moved out of state for a boyfriend once and then with my uncle, but neither worked out and she came back. But at the time our grandfather was alive and she missed him. For the most part, our family is like yours, can't get along for nothing. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 PM

79 posts, read 98,742 times
Op, I'm currently going through the same thing(check out my threads) and what I can say to you is the same thing I tell myself. Do what you feel is necessary for your household. I'm a single parent myself and completely understand. Once ive completed my move, I know I'll be able to breathe again, so to speak. Where I'm moving to, I have a cousin northwest of the city and two friends in the city. Research your options and if you are at peace with your choice, then do it. I wish you the best!

Old 07-17-2011, 12:40 AM

Thank you

Well I sure hope everything works out for you. I read your thread and you seem to have things together

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
There is really not enough information in your post, how old are your kids? How many do you have? I have done it with older kids, but would probably stay where there is a support system if I had young kids, or lots of young kids.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is really not enough information in your post, how old are your kids? How many do you have? I have done it with older kids, but would probably stay where there is a support system if I had young kids, or lots of young kids.
I just have one 10 year old. And believe me, I don't have much of a support system here...lol

Old 04-20-2013, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,911 times
I'm trying to figure out myself if my move with a 5 year old will go ok I am having problems with his father so It's really why I am moving but I do have a friend who I will be staying with and she has kids my sons age as well I'm more worried about day care when I start working I'm nervous about strangers watching my son dont really want to burden my friend or her family so that and transportation to work Are my biggest issues :/ wish this was easier

Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,736 times
I did not move out of state but I did move 5 hours away and I know no one. So far it has worked out but I moved to a small town so childcare resources are limited. I am currently trying too move to a bigger city and get another job because right now I work 12 hour shifts and daycares do not stay open late
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or