U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM

4,631 posts, read 8,890,829 times

Advertisements

I am trying to help someone move out their apartment complex. But apparently the management company of the complex rules with an iron fist and will not allow the ratpack container to stay over night.

The only alternative was paying the driver per hour until the box was loaded up. But that is steep at $60/hr min.

Has anyone run into this issue? Any ideas or ways around it? This is a real pain.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 02:00 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,869,238 times
Since these are "containers" versus a vehicle, PM companies normally will set rules for their use, such as no overnight or no longer than X days. I would sit with the PM company reps and ask them specifically if something could be worked out such as paying a parking fee or doing it over the weekend. Is there anyway you can get a confirmed pickup 9may be at a cost so the container is moved by a certain hour?

The alternative is to rent a truck and move the items into the truck within the rules of the complex and reload into the unit at another location? I know these "pods" type units can be kept at their location and you load from a truck into them. You may also want to see what other location is close by, maybe a retail center or parking lot where that owner is willing to let you load.

At my place we prohibit these units overnight but I have made deals with the mini mart next door to let them be dropped and loaded onntheir property. The advantage to the mini-mart is all the beer, soda, chips, and snacks are bought from them and they don;t use the rear area anyway. I also allow (with permission), the loophole which is to have the unit on a flat bed tow truck or put on a attached to vehicle trailer. Technically doing this it's not on the ground so i'ts not a stationary container but a vehicle/trailer, so it fits within the rules. You might have to get creative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues