Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

Why are you on FMLA? Being ill changes things, you should definitely go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashies View Post
Well the situation is my job went from care customer to sales , and I am not meeting the sales quota for the month. But when I do meet the quota I get naste looks. Right now I am on FMLA &OFMLA, I have been told when I am pulled off to the side that I have three choices : quit , improved my sales or be fired. Everytime I am told this that it has nothing to do with my leave.

In regards to insurance I am 22 and my mom is able to add me to her insurance only thing is that I have to go to school. To be on her insurance. I am waiting to see what happens but my work is getting hard with me being treated badly.
So let me get this straight. You don't want to leave right now because you can't afford to move, but suddenly, if you're fired, bam.... moving will be no problem? I don't get it.

Quote:
I am not meeting the sales quota for the month. But when I do meet the quota I get naste looks.
lol Hmm.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, it sounds like. Doesn't sound like a very nurturing/motivating environment.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
If you are eligible for unemployment and are attending school, WV does not require you to actively search for work until you finish your program of study. You may want to check that out in TX.

USAToday had a front page article about the huge growth of jobs in TX so it might be a good thing to be in TX.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 PM

21 posts, read 35,719 times
I am on FLMA due to high stress levels which are causing me to have margine episodes that last 24 hrs or more. When I have them I became very photophobic and cant deal with any sound. My situation with the money is werid , if I did loose my job at random when not knowing it was going to happen my mom would use her extra money to buy me a one way ticket home. Which is great but a problem cause I have a cat and a jeep that would be stuck in oregon. I have attempted to sell my vechile but no one is buying in my area.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashies View Post
I am on FLMA due to high stress levels which are causing me to have margine episodes that last 24 hrs or more. When I have them I became very photophobic and cant deal with any sound. My situation with the money is werid , if I did loose my job at random when not knowing it was going to happen my mom would use her extra money to buy me a one way ticket home. Which is great but a problem cause I have a cat and a jeep that would be stuck in oregon. I have attempted to sell my vechile but no one is buying in my area.

Sell your TV, Couch etc and Drive your vehicle home.

You 1/2 way across the country from your vehicle is NOT a good solution. (When you need to drive to work/school etc)

Start eating PB+J, Sell plasma etc...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Sell your TV, Couch etc and Drive your vehicle home.

You 1/2 way across the country from your vehicle is NOT a good solution. (When you need to drive to work/school etc)

Start eating PB+J, Sell plasma etc...
She can't sell plasma if she takes med!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
She can't sell plasma if she takes med!
Then sell the Plasma TV!

I think the point was just to get home, and to do whatever it takes to get there.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 PM

21 posts, read 35,719 times
I only have a hdtv .

Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Then sell the Plasma TV!

I think the point was just to get home, and to do whatever it takes to get there.

This... I just needed something to go with the classic "Eat PB&J"

Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,290 times
Let me sure I have this straight. Work related stress is causing migraine headaches so severe you are on FMLA. When you return to work you will be fired and you are wondering whether to quit and go home now or wait to be fired at which time your mother will use her "extra money" to buy you a one way ticket to Texas.

Do not quit your job.

Make an appt. with your HR and explain that sales is not a good fit for you and ask to return to your previous position. My guess is that is not possible or you would be there already. Then discuss your options. Firing someone is a can of worms, often requiring documentation of efforts to resolve situation over time. Ask to be laid off. Some companies are reluctant to do this as it can affect their UI costs and they will try everything they can to maneuver you into quitting. Much less paperwork and likely no UI claim. Make it clear that regardless of whether you are laid off or fired, you plan to apply, and if necessary appeal, for UI.

Do not quit.

UI is intended for just such a situation. Current job did not work out and you need income to tide you over until you are employed again. Regardless of how much extra money your mother has, you will need some income until you once again employed.

You may go back to school this fall, in which case UI benefits might cease. I understand some states will allow you to maintain your UI benefits as long as you are looking for work and willing to go to work and, if necessary, quit college to do so. But you would have to check on this.

In any case, your immediate concern is limited options due to your financial situation. Cut your expenses to the bone and sell everything you can, as others have suggested. You need $500 to drive you and the cat to Texas ($400 gas, $100 food, sleep in your Jeep at rest stops). How can you get that together?

There are probably others on this list who can offer more insight on how to deal with HR and your supervisors, but if your position has changed substantially over the years until it is no longer a good fit for you, it is in everybody's best interest for you to move on. Work with them on a solution that works for you as well as them.

People negotiate the end to jobs all the time. Football coach at UNC just left with a $2.7 million buyout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues