U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 11,024 times

Advertisements

I've never struggled so much to make a decision in my life. Fiance and I are moving to Tampa while she completes a Ph.D. Currently live in northeastern PA. Two years ago we purchased new furniture and appliances (bed, two flat screens, washer/dryer, couch, love seat, etc.). We did not skimp - this was to be our permanent stuff, and we'd never purchased anything before in our lives. Five years of a broken futon as our only couch. Anyway, the furnishings cost us around $20k. (fancy bed makes up 30% of that)

So here we are getting quotes to move 4000 pounds of stuff for $3000+. And 3-4 years from now when we move back, another $3000+ I'm sure. Plus the potential hassle of damage.

Not looking for an answer, but just some advice or maybe some insight from people who have done this before. We have free storage for all of this stuff (2 couches, 2 flat screen tv's, king bed, bedroom furniture, adjustable height desk, washer/dryer, small kitchen table/chairs, 2 tv stands) for as long as we need it stored.

We aren't attached to any of this stuff except for the bed. We don't have financial issues with buying new albeit less expensive stuff when we get to FL.

So here are my options:

1) Move stuff down, move stuff back (moving cost: approx $6500)
2) Do not move stuff down, buy new stuff when we get there, sell stuff when we leave (cost for new stuff: ?, price we get for selling new stuff: ?)
3) Do not move stuff down, buy new stuff when we get there, move stuff back when we come back and buy a more permanent house (cost for new stuff: ?, cost to move new stuff back: approx $3250)

I'm rambling now. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:40 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,066,615 times
Are you positive you are moving back to PA in 3-4 years? So much could happen in that time, you could love Florida or you may have a great opportunity in another state and move there instead. Personally I would move your stuff, you bought it you might as well enjoy it rather than have it just sit somewhere. Just be sure to find a place that it all fits in to.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM

Fiance is very intent on moving back to PA.. I suppose it is possible that an temporary opportunity could be found elsewhere and we end up there for awhile before eventually getting back to PA. Then all of our nice stuff is in PA and we'd still have to move it.

Good point that I didn't consider, thank you. And that's why I posted

Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,986,429 times
Do you think buying new stuff would be cheaper than the ~3k to move stuff down there? If not, take your stuff.

Personally, if it were me I would move my stuff - you bought it for a reason. You were sick of 'college futon living' before and while you wouldn't be completely reverting to that, it sounds like it would definitely be a downgrade.

And like Dogmama said - PA might not be set in stone. Just becuase your fiance is intent on it....anything could happen. Be adults, move your stuff. If you want to lighten the load, maybe sell or store some of things you could do without.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Bear in mind you may never move back, especially if a job dictates otherwise. I'm sure you fiance isn't going to move back to NE PA to sit without a job because it's a preference...at least I would hope not. Another option to consider is load/unload assistance at both ends with a one-way rental. Most local moving companies offer a load/unload service for those with rental trucks and it's much less costly than having a moving company do it and waiting days if not weeks for your items to arrive. You'll have to do the driving but you're probably driving down anyway. If you have two cars, tow one behind the truck.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM

I did look into a moving truck to drive myself but with the cost of gas, the cost of the on-site movers, etc., the savings wouldn't be enough to justify the extra hassle.

We are probably going to drive to DC and take the Amtrak auto-train to Sanford, FL which is about 2 hours from Tampa. Two reasons for this: 1) we'd be driving a Jeep Wrangler down to FL - would cost a ton in gas, plus hotel room, plus meals, plus annoyance = only slightly less cost than taking the train, and 2) I've never been on a train before, so let's call is pure morbid curiosity.

We are going to bite the bullet and move our stuff. For the past few years, I've worked form home and it's allowed us to be flexible with our location choices. Her degree doesn't guarantee a job in any one location, so we truly could end up anywhere even if our desire is to return north.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Definitely eased my mind.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,725,319 times
It looks like you've made up your mind. Not to confuse you further, but while there is some definite truth to the fact that a degree doesn't guarantee work in any location, and that you could end up anywhere.... it certainly doesn't hurt to set an intent.

Four years. Okay. I'd get a smaller nice place down there and take some of your stuff. Then fill out the rest of your place, as needed, with odds and ends from cheap department stores like Wal-Mart, Kohl's, Target, Ross, etc. and yard sales. Cheap stuff you can easily sell/leave behind/give away when the four years are up. Think of it as the minimalist period of your life. hehe! (Seriously, I moved last October, and I couldn't believe the stuff I got rid of. You'd be amazed what you can live without, flat-out don't need.)

Enjoy yourself down there, and by all means make friends, but sort of think of it as an extended vacation. Keep tabs on job openings in the state of PA and surrounding area the entire time.

Take a wishy-washy approach of "Oh, I don't know what will happen" and the Universe will give you a wishy-washy result. Think "Who knows where her degree will take us..." And you'll get that result. You may end up living in Kansas or California or Minnesota or Georgia. Who knowwwws? That's what you'll get, if that's the vibe you put out there.

Set an intent on re-settling back home in four years, and the chances are far more likely there'll definitely be something available back home in four years. The chances will certainly be greater than if you doubt.

Of course, this is coming from a firm believer in Law of Attraction.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,831,463 times
I would take the stuff.

First, you don't know what's going to happen. Maybe in 4 years she loves Florida. Maybe neither of you can find work in PA. Maybe you end up moving to North Carolina instead. There's no way to know. Four years is a long time.

Four years is also a long time to have all that stuff sitting around collecting dust and not being used. Yes, there's a danger of damage if you move it, but living carries the same danger. You can be oh so careful and when you have kids, they'll still spill something or scratch the bed, or whatever. Life is just risky that way.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM

1,877 posts, read 3,725,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I would take the stuff.

First, you don't know what's going to happen. Maybe in 4 years she loves Florida. Maybe neither of you can find work in PA. Maybe you end up moving to North Carolina instead. There's no way to know. Four years is a long time.

Four years is also a long time to have all that stuff sitting around collecting dust and not being used. Yes, there's a danger of damage if you move it, but living carries the same danger. You can be oh so careful and when you have kids, they'll still spill something or scratch the bed, or whatever. Life is just risky that way.

That's a good point. Maybe they'll love Florida. Or maybe they'll go on a little day trip and find the perfect area in a neighboring state they love. Something like that.

Maybe bring a little bit of furniture, feel out Florida for a while.... then take it from there.

I really don't believe in letting a job opportunity rule where you live though. And I speak from life experience. First and foremost you've gotta like where you live, IMHO... preferrably love.

I'd personally rather have a so-so job for a while in a place I liked than a job with the perfect income in a place I was no fan of at all. I lived in a place I was no fan of before. I wouldn't care if I had been given the perfect job with an amazing income while living there. I would still not have been able to be happy there.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
You never get anything for used stuff...take it with you. if it was junk I would say dump it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues